X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    Originally posted by Colgate Studebaker View Post
    Jeff and Carrie Rice, my wife and I attended a new local car show yesterday and we were very pleasantly surprised at the diversity of cars and trucks there.
    Granted that the SBC was the dominate engine of choice but there were Mopars, Fords, and even a few orphans. The neat part was watching Jeff in the Yellow POS be taken to the very front of the show and being placed right in front of all the main stage happenings. It was just amazing to sit and watch people stop in their tracks, take pictures and gawk at how neat that vehicle is. Congrats to Jeff and Carrie for the entertainment they provided. Bill
    That was a fun show. Super nice crowd. A tad hot, but still fun..
    Here's a video of the show.

https://youtu.be/cdGBdOalP1Y
    Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 06-24-2019, 11:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• jclary
    replied
    Personally...I'm thrilled that (except for Studebaker meets), the shows and cruise-ins are not full of Studebakers! If they were that common, then car shows would be like just another trip to Walmart. In spite of my efforts to be a unique person... I'm already more "average" than I like to admit...but, showing up at an event driving a Studebaker is sufficiently acceptable to qualify as different, and certainly not "common or average."

Leave a comment:

• 50pete
    replied
    piece of s%$#

Leave a comment:

• 62champ
    replied
    Originally posted by tim333 View Post
    What’s a POS in post #2?
    Just another poor old studebaker...

I always make a point of complimenting people at shows who don't have a "typical" old car at a show. Really nice couple at a show a few years ago in a '57 Chevy four door hardtop. Thing that caught me eye is that it still had its six cylinder engine. I thanked them for not putting a SBC under the hood to which the owner replied, "why would I do that? That is the motor it had in it when we bought it new so why would it need something different."
    Last edited by 62champ; 06-24-2019, 10:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• tim333
    replied
    What’s a POS in post #2?

Leave a comment:

• j.byrd
    replied
    New Corvettes seem to be the car of choice here...by the "old guys" !!!! I, like others, cannot understand why on earth someone wants to go to a dealer, buy a new car, and start entering it in car shows. I know very well why someone would want a new car to use daily, but...... Oh well, perhaps more of the abandoned or forgotten oldies will come available to us other "old guys" to enjoy.

Leave a comment:

• 52-fan
    replied
    I am beginning to understand why the guys who were into brass era cars, and the like, considered 1940s cars unworthy. My brother and I attended a very long running "antique" car show two weekends back that included some vehicles that I would have thought got lost on their way to the spectator parking. There was even a Dodge Hellcat in the show. There were some super looking oldies though, including a beautiful Auburn.

Leave a comment:

• 50pete
    replied
    I was at a local drive in its a place where all the car guys hang out. I was parked next to a guy with a new challenger, when i opened the hood of my power hawk he said wow that must have been a lot of work. i said yeah but its good therapy
    His response. I just bought mine like it is
    I Dont have to work on it.
    I wanted to tell him where he could park the new pos but kept my composure

Leave a comment:

• StudeNewby
    replied
    Peter,

I know what you mean. I agree that the new cars have a lot of new tech and are scary fast, but if I wanted to see them I would just go to a dealership.

There is a place for them at car shows, but comparing a new Challenger or Camaro straight off the showroom floor to a restored Studebaker, even an Avanti, or to any pre-1980's car, is apples to oranges. One guy has poured limitless time and effort into restoring a piece of history; the other applied a coat of Mequiar's. I'm not knocking the new cars nor their owners: It's just that what they have and what we, the old cars guys, own are simply not comparable.

Leave a comment:

• Colgate Studebaker
    replied
    Jeff and Carrie Rice, my wife and I attended a new local car show yesterday and we were very pleasantly surprised at the diversity of cars and trucks there.
    Granted that the SBC was the dominate engine of choice but there were Mopars, Fords, and even a few orphans. The neat part was watching Jeff in the Yellow POS be taken to the very front of the show and being placed right in front of all the main stage happenings. It was just amazing to sit and watch people stop in their tracks, take pictures and gawk at how neat that vehicle is. Congrats to Jeff and Carrie for the entertainment they provided. Bill

Leave a comment:

• plee4139
    started a topic Cars shows: same old Chevro-Fords?

Cars shows: same old Chevro-Fords?

I attended a show with my Sky Hawk at a winery on the north fork here on LI, and it must have been 90% Chevvies, Fords, Corvettes, and seemingly endless late model and even brand new Mustangs. The only thing that makes it worth while are the occasional, classics and independents, such as a magnificent 1934 Cadillac convertible, a couple of 1948 Lincolns, and a Crosley. I understand that they let these new/newer cars in because they help to raise money for the sponsoring organization, but it makes for a mostly uninteresting show. It seems as if only AACA-sanctioned shows keep the 25-year guidelines any more. I think I'm going to have to be a bit more selective in the coming car season.
Working...
X