Cars shows: same old Chevro-Fords?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
    In 2014, there was a close call with one of those drones flying overhead at a car show where it did clip a tree and fell, narrowly missing a modified '40 Ford coupe. It smashed to pieces when it hit the asphalt, and out of nowhere, its owner appeared, scooped up what was left of it and just as quickly, disappeared. The owner of the '40 Ford was NOT amused in the slightest, and asked if I had managed to get a photo of the guy retrieving the remains. (I tried, but he was too fast.) Needless to say, the next year's show added a 'No Drones' to their list of rules because of that incident.

Craig
    You know Craig, I can see the 'no drone' rule, too.
    At the show I was at Sunday I went over and sat with the promoter to chit chat (I was the newbie at this show), and while I was there the hired videographer/photographer for the event came up. I excused myself because those two were discussing the videography and photography aspects. I was just an uneeded distraction.
    I guess my comment would be "A professional drone video operator....maybe".

Good comments.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

That's one thing I really like about Costco. They have generous parking spaces to accommodate even the biggest SUV's with tons of room to load large purchases.

Craig
      No Costco here.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Regarding Drones...perhaps we will see counter measures like there were in World War II. I recall seeing pictures of tethered barrage balloons.
        (If the pic don't show...google barrage balloons)

A sufficient number of helium filled party balloons tethered with nylon construction string could play havoc entangling the propellers of of a drone. When I was a teenager, we had an old gentleman in his 80's who was so good with an old fashioned sling-shot, that he could knock bats out of the air consistently. In my youth, I became pretty proficient with a sling-shot...but never that good.

At car shows, I have gotten upset with a grandmother bringing her grand-kids armed with those pesky little bubble blower kits. Have you ever seen what the soapy water in those things can do to hot paint on a sunny summer day? That harmless looking little bubble popping on your hood could stain and damage your paint forever!

Such things are a hazard we car nuts face every time we venture out in public with our prized vehicles. So many are clueless to the value or work that goes into owning and maintaining one of these cars.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

All I worry about is the kids with skateboards and BMX bikes.
          The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

I am at the VMCCA Heritage tour in Fairborn- Dayton area. There are 18 Fords on this tour, the next number is Studebaker with 7. Studebakers are usually the second most resented cars on these tours including the Glidden.
            Jerry Kurtz

Comment

Interesting comments indeed.

Humorous observation, I thought: A friend of mine has a restored 1971 Dodge Challenger 500 Festival "Pace Car;" a real one, documented to have been part of the 1971 Indianapolis 500 Festival and Parade during May, 1971.

We were discussing the relative size of the new Dodge Challenger compared with the 1970-1974 version. Admittedly, the new version is kinda porky. Of the new one, he joked and said, "That's the box my car came in!" BP
              Last edited by BobPalma; 06-26-2019, 02:56 AM. Reason: corrected first-year
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
              "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by jerezstude View Post
                I am at the VMCCA Heritage tour in Fairborn- Dayton area. There are 18 Fords on this tour, the next number is Studebaker with 7. Studebakers are usually the second most resented cars on these tours including the Glidden.
                Jerry Kurtz
                Jerry, I truly hope you meant "represented", not "resented"!
                Mike Davis
                Regional Manager, North Carolina
                1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                  Interesting comments indeed.

Humorous observation, I thought: A friend of mine has a restored 1971 Dodge Challenger 500 Festival "Pace Car;" a real one, documented to have been part of the 1971 Indianapolis 500 Festival and Parade during May, 1971.

We were discussing the relative size of the new Dodge Challenger compared with the 1971-1974 version. Admittedly, the new version is kinda porky. Of the new one, he joked and said, "That's the box my car came in!" BP
                  I had a 1970 Challenger R/T in Plum Crazy. You seem to omit the 1970s.
                  The new Challengers are large, particularly wide, because they are based on the same platform as the Charger/Chrysler 300.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Sorry I meant represented not resented. My spelling has never been good and it's not getting any better.
                    Jerry Kurtz

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                      I had a 1970 Challenger R/T in Plum Crazy. You seem to omit the 1970s.
                      The new Challengers are large, particularly wide, because they are based on the same platform as the Charger/Chrysler 300.
                      I still wish the new production version retained the opening rear quarter windows that the 2006 concept car had, which made it a true hardtop. The original 1970-74 were pillarless.

Craig

Comment

I still wish the new production version retained the opening rear quarter windows that the 2006 concept car had, which made it a true hardtop. The original 1970-74 were pillarless. Craig
                        AMEN BP
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
                        X