Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SOLD! '56 Sky Hawk 289 4-bbl A/T amenable project in central PA Craigslist 6-21-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There were only 3050 Sky Hawks built. That is about 3/4 the number of 1956 Golden Hawks.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

This one does have the 4bbl and dual exhaust option. 210 hp, rather than 195.
      Someone replaced the clock with a tach, which doesn't bother me. I no longer care much about time.
      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10,
      '51 Commander Starlight,
      '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
      '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Am pretty sure the Sky Hawk under the hood is identical to the Golden Hawk if the same year... so, made this is what you'll be missing to latch the hood, plus a panel or two as well. Hope it sets you off in the right direction.

Please keep us all updated on progress, pics, etc.
        PS: when I saw the post on FB, very tempting and lime y ou thought pine neddles were surrounding the radiator!
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4537.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	1728543 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4538.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	1728544
        Richard
        sigpic

Comment

I'm confused. I thought Sky Hawks were 6cyl, and Power Hawks were 259... ??
          Or maybe it could be ordered as either.

Comment

Flight Hawks were sixes, Power Hawks were 259, Sky Hawks were 289, Golden Hawks were 352, but the all used that one year hood and trunk latch
            64 GT Hawk (K7)
            1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Sky Hawks and Golden Hawks were considered part of the President series, and were both K bodied hardtops.
              While the Flight Hawks and Power Hawks were both C body coupes.
              "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10,
              '51 Commander Starlight,
              '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by packard352 View Post
                Am pretty sure the Sky Hawk under the hood is identical to the Golden Hawk if the same year... so, made this is what you'll be missing to latch the hood, plus a panel or two as well. Hope it sets you off in the right direction.
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]82019[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]82020[/ATTACH]
                Thanks for those photos, Richard. And so the search begins.

Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10,
                '51 Commander Starlight,
                '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Couple thoughts for potential sources... have you tried Brent Hagen in Portland? He may be able to help you. Alternatively, there has been a post on FB (here as well I think) regarding some fabled guys (for all the wrong reasons apparently) out LA way, who also posted recently on FB they had a stack of stuff ~ a lot of sheet metal in good condition they're looking to sell up. I tried a quick search, but couldn't put my finger on the post. There's also Barry Hackney in Houston and possible Jack Vines.

Anyway, hope you're able to locate the various parts to shut the hood properly, good luck.
                  Richard
                  sigpic

Comment

and possible Jack Vines. Anyway, hope you're able to locate the various parts to shut the hood properly, good luck.
                    Thanks for the reference, Richard. Trust all is well with you and yours.

The new owner absolutely, positively doesn't want to rely on the '56 hood latch. That POS hood latch failing and allowing the hood to open at speed and wrap over the roof was responsible for sending too many '56 Hawks to an early boneyard or at the least requiring a new windshield, hoods, paint and body work; BTDTNA.

jack vines
                    PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                      Thanks for the reference, Richard. Trust all is well with you and yours.

The new owner absolutely, positively doesn't want to rely on the '56 hood latch. That POS hood latch failing and allowing the hood to open at speed and wrap over the roof was responsible for sending too many '56 Hawks to an early boneyard or at the least requiring a new windshield, hoods, paint and body work; BTDTNA. jack vines

He should really look into installing the barn door hinges at the bottom of the grill, as has been covered in previous posts.
                      Jerry Forrester
                      Forrester's Chrome
                      Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Glad to see you get this car Brad. I look forward to seeing what you can do with it. 50 years ago I owned a 56 Sky Hawk that was the same colors as this. I bought it shortly after arriving home from college, worked on it during the summer and sold it before returning to college that Fall. Hope you have as much fun with yours as I did.

Comment

Ok I confused the Sky with the Flight......

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
                            He should really look into installing the barn door hinges at the bottom of the grill, as has been covered in previous posts.
                            So...there you go Brad!...Once you have that car loaded up, just drive on down to Georgia and let an experienced Studebaker Artist do his thing with that hood latch, while assessing the vehicle's re-chrome needs. For motivation...play Charlie Daniel's "The Devil Went Down To Georgia," on a repetitive loop for the whole trip!

Personally, I'm glad you stepped up and bought the car. Look forward to following your progress. As the need for parts arise...now you will really miss the York swap meet and long for the days when the parts came to you....All the best for you as you take on this new Studebaker adventure.
                            John Clary
                            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Please keep us all updated on progress, pics, etc.
                              PS: when I saw the post on FB, very tempting and lime y ou thought pine neddles were surrounding the radiator!
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]82019[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]82020[/ATTACH]
                              The top half is just as important as that lower half. I had mine all apart on the 62GT yesterday, after what started out as a simple task. I attempted to drill a hole in the cone end of the plunger (that's attached to the hood), in order to use a large cotter pin as backup for the latch. Of course I broke the drill bit off half way through. That necessitated removing the plunger and disassembly for an attempt to get the broken bit out. (Shoulda removed it in the first place.) I ran out of time and patience, so just cleaned and lubed it all up and reinstalled it, but decided to make an adjustment in its' depth. That adjustment necessitated shifting and spacing the lower mechanism (in your pix), in order for the plunger to strike and push through it properly. So a 20 minute operation took 2+ hours, and still was aborted. I have used a small chain as latch backup for decades, and have never seen it come into play, but it's comforting to know it is there. If course I left it in place yesterday. The cotter pin is much simpler though, and I will get back to that task someday, when I can find the spare plunger which seems like I just seen, "yesterday". Getting old adds another dimension to working on old Studes. Have fun with that Sky Hawk. LOL

Comment

Couple thoughts for potential sources... have you tried ...
                                Haven't tried anything yet, other than confirming parts are missing.
                                The bargain has been made and earnest money exchanged. But it will probably be a couple weeks before it's in my driveway. There are arrangements to be made and beaches to visit in the interim.
                                Meanwhile, until I start a concerted search, if anyone just happens to be in possession of a Hawk they are parting out, drop me a line.
                                Once I get the Chassis Catalog I'll know if the parts can be from years other than 1956.

EDIT:
                                Okay; I now possess the Chassis Catalog and can confirm it's illustration #1601-12 is the entire PANEL, Lower Air Intake, (including hood lock plate brackets); Part#1312083p; fits ALL C & K models 1956, 57 and 58; possibly '59, 60 and 61 as well, but I don't have that catalog. The lock plate brackets alone are #1312348 and 1312349. Illustration #s 1622-86 and 1622-85.

Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	1728559
                                Last edited by rockne10; 06-26-2019, 02:23 PM. Reason: Added part numbers and image

Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                                '33 Rockne 10,
                                '51 Commander Starlight,
                                '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Working...
                                X