37 Coupe front sheetmetal puzzle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 37 Coupe front sheetmetal puzzle

I spent the last 4 hours putting the puzzle of the front sheetmetal together. Without the front crossmember and radiator support in place, it gets pretty exciting.
    I have the radiator support, but cannot use it as stock. I've had to cut the rotted out bottom from it cuz it hits the rack on the Mustang 2 suspension. (it was already on the car when I got it.)
    So then I mounted L brackets to the sides of what was left of the radiator support. Then....
    Bolt on the front fenders for measurement sake...
    Bolt on the grill assembly for measurments...
    Place the hood on to ensure the grill is spaced correctly...
    Find that the whole front assembly is one inch too high by using the side panels as the "link"...
    Cut, disassemble, remove, re-measure everything, then put it all back together...
    Find out that one inch is not quite enough to lower the grill for all parts to align...
    Cut, disassemble, remove, re-measure everything, then put it all back together...
    Step back to see that the reassembled pieces and parts now look as though the lines flow front to back and top to bottom as they should...
    Sheesh.
    But it looks awesome.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5212.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	1760676
    sals54

that things gonna get its own Theme Song! I'm thinking John Wick Mode....

Comment

Posted by sals54
      But it looks awesome.
      Possibly an understatement, those 37 coupes and CE's are the best looking vehicles of that era. Studebaker got it just right with this year.

Bob

Comment

BTDT..
        I replaced the entire curvy radiator support and replaced it with individual aluminum blocks and tied that to the firewall with stainless steel rods.
        That kept it adjustable, even though once it is set you won't touch it again...
        Still took a lot of work getting the hood to cowl fitment correct.

Your work looks superb!

[IMG][/IMG]
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

It looks very good!
          Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

You should be able to cut, disassemble, remove, remeasure everything, with your eyes closed. The car looks awesome, even in patina, and primer. All the work was worth it, and I enjoy the progress reports.

Comment

It's funny how some of the things that make a vehicle look right will never be noticed by most people if you do it right. It does give the builder a lot of satisfaction though.
              sigpic

"In the heart of Arkansas."
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

BTDT..
                I replaced the entire curvy radiator support and replaced it with individual aluminum blocks and tied that to the firewall with stainless steel rods.
                That kept it adjustable, even though once it is set you won't touch it again...
                Still took a lot of work getting the hood to cowl fitment correct.

Jeff, your comments about how you mounted the front grill intrigues me. Do you have any pictures or specs on the materials? Cuz I think I need to get rid of that huge halo also. It's in the way of everything.
                Thanks
                sals54

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                  <snip>
                  Jeff, your comments about how you mounted the front grill intrigues me. Do you have any pictures or specs on the materials? Cuz I think I need to get rid of that huge halo also. It's in the way of everything.
                  Thanks
                  Yes, I so have some detailed pic's.
                  Will have to dig them out of the archives on my backup drive...
                  Give me a lttle time and I'll post 'em up.

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

Thank you very much.
                    sals54

Comment

It's been a while.... But here you go..

Milled two aluminum blocks to slide in the nose side slots.

Drilled and tapped the end top accept the threaded stainless steel rod.

Bent the end by the cowl to replicate the steel Stude rod.

Drilled and tapped the side of the block for a locater bolt.

A look at the other side.

A smaller horizontal square bar and tab setup was made to hook the nose oiece to.

Made up a polished stainless sheet metal nose plate to hide the ugliness.
                      Also added a coolant recovery tank whil in there...

Eventually had the latch plate chromed by Forrester's Chrome For the Street.
                      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Forre...04352632965113

So there you go...

Jeff

Comment

Thanks Jeff. That's incredible. A terrific fix.
                        Also, did you make changes to the radiator core support? And the part of it which supports the fenders? Did you leave that part intact?
                        I have some ideas, but would love to see what you did, if anything.
                        Thanks again.
                        I hate to reinvent the wheel if its already done. Besides mine would probably come out square.
                        And lastly, what are you using for a radiator? I'm looking at a number of different "hot rod" radiators for cars of the 30s. Lots to choose from.
                        Last edited by sals54; 06-20-2019, 04:53 PM.
                        sals54

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                          <snip>
                          Also, did you make changes to the radiator core support? And the part of it which supports the fenders? Did you leave that part intact?
                          I have some ideas, but would love to see what you did, if anything.
                          Thanks again.
                          I hate to reinvent the wheel if its already done. Besides mine would probably come out square.
                          And lastly, what are you using for a radiator? I'm looking at a number of different "hot rod" radiators for cars of the 30s. Lots to choose from.
                          Built a new upper radiator support.
                          But the bottom was all morked up, mostly from the GM clip graft done before I got it.
                          Has some kind of 4 core brass tube radiator, No clue as to what it came from.
                          It is barely adequate, but a big honkin' electric fan keeps things ok.

Jeff

Comment

Again.. thank you very much. I appreciate your insights and knowledge on this. Fabulous truck. I wish I could create a piece of art such as yours. Mine will be not much more than what you see already. Just running, I hope.
                            sals54

Comment

Jeff. I really like where you put the support rods under the hood. I stole the idea and worked tonight to try it out in true CASO fashion. After all, mine is just a hot rod.
                              Soooo.... I took a 3/8" smooth steel rod, bent to fit roughly the same locations you used, made the two bends and threaded both ends.
                              But then the caso took over, so I used a coupler nut, drilled a 5/16" hole through the end of it, and bolted it to the "halo" portion of the cowl support.
                              The rest of the cowl support will dissapear once I figure out what I'm doing with the radiator situation.

Name:	IMG_5216.jpg
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	1728475Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5217.jpg
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	1728476

And here's the stance with the front lowered.

Name:	IMG_5215.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	1728477

No springs or coil overs in the front yet. Just some square tubing drilled to let me try different heights.
                              And BTW... do you have, or do you know anyone who has a set of hood hinges for sale? Thanks.
                              Last edited by sals54; 06-20-2019, 10:06 PM.
                              sals54

Comment

Working...
                              X