HAWK 1961-1962 Supercharger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HAWK 1961-1962 Supercharger

Did the 61 - 62 hawk supercharged cars have a 4 barrel carb OR were they all 2 barrel ???????

No factory supercharged 1961 - 1962 Studebakers as production cars.
    Peter Bishop

Comment

'57-'58 supercharged Studebaker-Packards were all 2-bbl.
      '63-'64 supercharged Studebakers were all 4-bbl.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Dont forget the very rare pre 57 aftermarket setup which was a 4-bbl.

Comment

Originally posted by 70Avanti2 View Post
          Dont forget the very rare pre 57 aftermarket setup which was a 4-bbl.
          Once we get away from production orders, there lies madness. About once a month we get a call asking, "Can you build a 374" Packard V8 with 2x4bbls and the Isky cam, "Because there was that Jet Streak memo and I was told mine was a special order built that way." or "There was this article in Popular Mechanics which sad the '55 Speedster could be ordered with a supercharger" or "Mechanix Illustrated had a photo of a '56 Golden Hawk with a supercharger." We say, "Your money, your build, your decision."

Yes, Studebaker did some interesting stuff. One could build a 1930s President with an Indy replica 4-carb engine. It would be historically accurate, just not supported by a production order.

OTOH, the two Champ pickups with R2 engines have production order documentation.

As always, build what you want to drive. Just don't invent documentation for what never happened, or just do what the Mopar and Chevy guys do and call it a tribute.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

For the last two years at the South Bend show, there was a white '60 Hawk with a Golden Hawk supercharger set-up blowing into a Paxton style 4 bbl and bonnet. No hole in the hood! I would like to find out how he got the supercharger to clear the hood. Anybody know the car?- Jim

Comment

57 GH Supercharger fits under a 64 Daytona hood, why not a 60 Hawk.

Comment

very nice job on that engine, but why didn't he get some tape to mask the heater hoses?

Comment

The '57-'58 G/H had a hole in the hood with a fiberglas cover to clear the s/c from the factory. The Larks had more room above the engine.- Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jrlemke View Post
                    For the last two years at the South Bend show, there was a white '60 Hawk with a Golden Hawk supercharger set-up blowing into a Paxton style 4 bbl and bonnet. No hole in the hood! I would like to find out how he got the supercharger to clear the hood. Anybody know the car?- Jim
                    He COULD have used Avanti R3 Front Engine mounts, I have some if you need them.
                    They are very handy to use on R1 and R2 Avantis also, that commonly have Fan to Shroud clearance issues.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I have the Aug. '55 issue of "Motor Life" with a road test of a Speedster with the 4 barrel McCulloch kit, installed by STU-V. The article is by Dean Moon.
                      Was there an article about one in "Popular Mechanics"? Does anyone know what issue? Is it available on line?
                      Mike

Comment

1956 Golden Hawk with a supercharger. https://www.1956goldenhawk.com/superchg.htm

jack vines
                        PackardV8

Comment

I think that is what I have in my '61 now. What is the difference between the standard and R3 mounts? -Jim

Comment

Same but shorter, 7/8" vs 1 3/8".
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks Rich, that's what I needed. -Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X