Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do not low ball me!!.....I do not have to sell!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At the bottom of the Ebay ad it says "reasonable offers considered". I watched the video again, and checked out the Ebay ad. It really is a nice automobile, and it seems like he is asking right around the going price for a 63. I realize that his sales pitch is not all that appealing, but if I were looking for an Avanti, I would make a reasonable offer, and ignore the sellers comment.

Comment

Some might not like his language or his approach, but his intent is obvious and it does get his point across. I would certainly have to know more about what prompted his comment before I responded, pejoratively.

Comment

Not picking on any car here, strictly for info purposes..

Are the Seat "dams" covered in vinyl or carpet originally?

Vinyl..

Carpet..

I'm ready to cover them myself..

Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	1728368

Comment

Originally posted by creegster View Post
          Yeah, this whole thread started off wrong thanks to Hawklover's initial tone. Maybe time to start over with a bit better attitude, Hawklover?
          My dear "sir"...........I exhibited absolutely no tone as you claim........if you look at the sellers ad copy...(note I am NOT THE SELLER!) I just repeated the sellers own words...........please explain how my "tone" so enraged you?????
          Last edited by Hawklover; 06-12-2019, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

I'm pleased to see that someone feels a nice modified '63 with AC versus Supercharger is worth $30k. Makes me feel good. I sure lost my buttocks a few years ago on a '64 Hawk with 4-V engine, duals, full instrumentation, auto floor shifter, disc brakes and 59k miles with all the original paperwork and maint records. The motor turned over and seemed to run fine. The car was not very rusty at all except for a leak around the passenger door window that caused a hole in the floor pan and some minor exterior bubbling on the lower front fenders. I grabbed it up for $1800 since I believed it was a fairly rare car primed for restoration and was likely worth a lot more. After repairing the floorboard holes, rebuilding the carb, replacing the fuel pump and installing a brand new set of tires, I was eventually able to get $1700 for it. Whammo! With Studes, it's generally buy high and sell low.
              Attached Files
              edp/NC
              \'63 Avanti
              \'66 Commander

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
                Don't get me started on the phrase "Testing the waters" in car ads. .
                One of my all time unimpressive Craigslist ads was some kid posted a horrible night time picture of his car outside a 7-11.. The text read, "Think-in of sell-in my car. Hit me up." That was it.
                '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
                  ...Buying a car is easy. Selling a car is tough. Don't make it tougher than it already is.
                  I often comment about having a "useless" college degree in psychology. I went against family tradition and went to college(paid for by me). I majored in psychology idealistically thinking I would be able to contribute to society by gaining insight into human behavior and, in some way, contribute and assist others from some of the anguish and awkwardness I encountered in my youth. I even found employment in the field and extended the effort into graduate school! BOY...WAS I ADRIFT IN MY IDEALISM!?

However...as I found myself in the real world of making mortgage payments, supporting a family, I made an abrupt right angle career turn into the field of Industrial Sales & Engineering...hindsight has proved that all was not lost with my psychology degree. The best selling does not mean slick talking your way to a sale, but identifying a potential customer's desires and communicating (in a positive manner) how what you have to offer qualifies.

You don't need to sell the car by merely calling it a car. But, make a little effort to communicate what having the car brings to the buyer. Whether it is to fulfill the buyer's need for attention, transportation, or the joy of participating in an enjoyable hobby experience. Communicating such value and benefits to a prospective buyer means that you positively encourage the buyer. This can be done even as you honestly point out flaws, corrections and tasks required to restore and maintain the vehicle. It's important to avoid psychological stumbling blocks by saying goofy things like "Great deal...won't last long!" It could be a great deal, but I wouldn't want to introduce the words "won't last long" into the conversation. I often see folks selling horses adding in phrases like, "DEAD BROKE!"...we horse people know that a dead broke horse usually means it is a reliable, gentle, well behaved horse, but even so, I don't ever intend to sell a live animal with the word "dead" in the presentation, or the word "broke" when selling anything.

I have encountered customers expecting to spend a couple of hundred dollars for equipment and left with an order for thousands of dollars of equipment by showing how the greater layout of cash saves hours of labor (money), increased the quality of their product (money), increased production (money), facilitated a faster return of their investment (compounded money), and made their life more enjoyable (priceless)...and as such...what little I retained from my studies of psychology...has not been useless after all.

In our forum family, we have a good number of machinist, and mechanics. As a general rule, you don't approach a good machinist and try to sell him an expensive drill by talking about how great the drill looks, or how popular the brand is, or because "everybody" thinks they are great...but if you can explain that it will stay sharp longer, drill accurate, and produce more holes than the competition...it will sell itself!

Like others have stated, I tend to shy away from folks presenting items in a seemingly negative way, arrogant, or unfriendly manner.
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

The best selling does not mean slick talking your way to a sale, but identifying a potential customer's desires and communicating (in a positive manner) how what you have to offer qualifies.
                    (A quote from John Clary) These seem like some words of wisdom to remember. I've never been much of a salesman. Maybe I've been doing it wrong all this time. Thanks John!

Comment

Here is a current Craigslist ad from San Diego. Would you buy anything from this person?

1960 Studebaker lark parts in excellent condition. I have a large variety of parts . Feel free to contact me at show contact info
                      ask for joe no text or emails please or I will Flagg and block your number easy for being ignorant that's what the phone is for use it don't be a loser douchebag wasting my time serious inquiries only please!!!!

Comment

I have passed on buying vehicles, and parts, or even responding to ads because of the attitudes shown by the "sellers" in their ads. If they are obviously horse's asses just by reading their ads I don't need to deal with them.
                        A lot of times I can guess what part of the country a "seller" is from even if the info is not given in the ad!
                        thom

Comment

My friend and I went to a scrapyard to buy a screen for a 59 Convertible Caddillac, very rare here in the UK, and I hasten to add this was 20 odd years ago. Anyway we arrived, and he had 2, both identical. He said they were £800 each because they were rare. My friend pointed out that they could be that rare as he had two. This nutter then picked up a sledge hammer and smashed one, and said it is rare now. We left him without buying the screen

Comment

Originally posted by SScopelli View Post
                            Not picking on any car here, strictly for info purposes..

Are the Seat "dams" covered in vinyl or carpet originally?

Vinyl..

Carpet..

I'm ready to cover them myself..
                            63s were vinyl covered. Generally the speckled carpet cars had the seat hump trimmed in vinyl. Though I have seen them also covered in carpet, but probably was a replacement. Those more versed in serial numbers will probable chime in. I research each car individually, as there were many, many running changes.
                            Last edited by bezhawk; 06-13-2019, 08:02 AM.
                            Bez Auto Alchemy
                            573-318-8948
                            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Brizzleblue View Post
                              My friend and I went to a scrapyard to buy a screen for a 59 Convertible Caddillac, very rare here in the UK, and I hasten to add this was 20 odd years ago. Anyway we arrived, and he had 2, both identical. He said they were £800 each because they were rare. My friend pointed out that they could be that rare as he had two. This nutter then picked up a sledge hammer and smashed one, and said it is rare now. We left him without buying the screen
                              Here in the states we have an expression for the owner of the aforementioned scrapyard.........."Ass(H)ole"

Comment

Wise words from SC.............I can understand why, I spend lots of time in Blufton, SC..........and find folks full of real American wisdom!:-)

Comment

Working...
                                X