Thoughts on Turning Wheels classifieds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on Turning Wheels classifieds

Hey SDC family. Wondering about your thoughts on the effectiveness of the Turning Wheels Classifieds from folks how have used them.
    As many of you know I am seeking a new home for "Old #8" - Our 55 Commander Regal Coupe. I have posted it on the "Studebaker Addicts" FB group (open to other ides if there is another FB forum I should be on too) as well as a bunch of classic car groups, and here, with tons of pics and detailed info for what I have been told is a pretty reasonable price for the car considering.
    Have yet to get many inquiries.
    I know that the Turning wheels mag has much wider reach, so find myself curious if it is a largely more effective place to list, and if the response is worth the cost. Certainly don't mind supporting the mag and club with the ad revenue, just curious if anyone has an opinion on how their ads have turned out for them.
    Thanks everyone! Keep the shiny side up!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DriverRear.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	1760634
    55 Commander Regal Coupe
    XA Bat (The Roadwarrior)
    KARR (Knightrider)
    Eleanor (ORIGINAL Gone in 60 Seconds)

Mad Max Car\'s \"Hero Car Ranch\"; Seattle, Wa.

Well, if you are a member your ad is free; so there is that.
    And, as you mentioned, it has the potential of reaching many thousands of people and can be perused multiple times at their leisure. While anything on line is only going to be seen by a fraction of the folks who might be interested, and only if they go on line and open that particular site.
    The advantage I see to on line ads, as opposed to Turning Wheels, is the potential of folks outside the Studebaker community getting exposed to something they might not otherwise consider.
    Turning Wheels ads also appear on line in our own web site within a month of publication.

http://studebakerdriversclub.com/classified.asp
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10,
    '51 Commander Starlight,
    '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
    '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

I purchased one from TWs, I wasn't looking to buy just sawthe add, peaked my interest and called. After receiving a dozen or so photos inthe mail I called back with a plan to drive 1200 mile with a trailer on the assumptionthat the car was exactly what he said it was and the price was completely fair.Three days and another 1200 miles later it was in my garage. Seems like if you want Studebaker people to see it, TW will get the job done. That doesn't mean some won't travel to inspect and make a deal, but same is true for any advertisement.

Comment

You might try Facebook studebaker marketplace. There is also a studebaker swap site. Cars and parts for sale.

Comment

I've bought and sold about 30 Studebakers. Only a couple to members of the SDC. TW is a GREAT magazine. Maybe the best for a single brand. The downside of placing an ad ONLY there is that it only reaches about 10,000 people, and I would guess most of them have all the Studebakers they will ever need. It's free, however, so certainly worth a shot.

I've had good luck with eBay. It reaches literally millions of prospective buyers world wide (LOTS of Studebakers going to Europe, Australia, New Zealand, etc). A good ad fully describing the car, lots of pictures. Set a realistic reserve. Start it at $100. If it doesn't sell the cost is zero. If it sells, the cost is about $100. If it doesn't meet your reserve, at least you'll know how the market values the car.
          Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

I've had good luck using www.studebakerswap.com. It's free too! Give it a try.
            Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
            '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
            '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
            '62 GT Hawk (4 speed, A/C, Power steering - running and DRIVING!)

Comment

I agree with what Dick S. posted. Decades ago, Turning Wheels was the place. Now I believe eBay is best at determining the world market. I have bought and sold more than 50 Studebakers, most of the more recent ones on eBay, plus other collectable cars.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I was a subscriber to TURNING WHEELS for several years before I bought my '51 Champion, RELIGIOUSLY checking the classified hoping that I would find a '50 or '51 Regal Convertible. Eventually, I did find a beautiful (if expensive to mechanically restore) convertible in Hemmings Motor News. It was just a text ad with no photo, but with a web address to the dealer in Texas. So I would definitely advertise in TURNING WHEELS -- but you might also consider a modest ad in the monthly Hemmings printed magazine.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the input. I will give the Turning Wheels a try though I think only the "Free Stuff" ads are at no cost, unless I am misunderstanding how it works for members. I will consider Ebay as well.
                  55 Commander Regal Coupe
                  XA Bat (The Roadwarrior)
                  KARR (Knightrider)
                  Eleanor (ORIGINAL Gone in 60 Seconds)

Mad Max Car\'s \"Hero Car Ranch\"; Seattle, Wa.

Comment

Working...
                  X