Avanti introduction footage to Dallas-area dealers, May 1962

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti introduction footage to Dallas-area dealers, May 1962

A hometown friend sent me this clip this morning. I had not seen it. I am aware that this is the way the Avanti was introduced, but it's cool to see the video.

The three older men seated in folding chairs, shown briefly in the clip--can anyone identify them? I know who they are but let's see some other guesses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICdY...nlpFFdK17hLDMA
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

I might have the gold one in my shop . Nope it's an R2. So probably a Board of directors show car. Hand laid up strips of fiberglass. Lots of small differences.
    Last edited by bezhawk; 06-10-2019, 06:45 AM.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Let's make this a Pop Quiz, Bill: The first person you confirm as having identified the men correctly will be sent an NOS copy of the small 1964 Studebaker full-line brochure, P.D.-64-11:
      Be sure to PM me with their correct name and full address. Click image for larger version

Name:	64studebrochuresmall.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	1728335
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I should concede, that now I have a slight doubt as to who I think the gentleman in the center chair is. I still think I'm right, but less sure than the other two gentlemen.
        Bill Pressler
        Kent, OH
        All are in Australia now

Comment

No takers yet?
          Bill Pressler
          Kent, OH
          All are in Australia now

Comment

The Guy on the Right resembles Roy Bender or a younger Churchill, really looks familiar but I am confused as to ANY of their actual identities.

I wonder if Egbert would have been there somewhere?

Bez, if you have a significant "EX" Gold R2 4 Speed '63 Avanti in your shop, it COULD be the one used for the L.A. Airlift Event, just not the Dallas one.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Idenitification and Additional Details

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              The Guy on the Right resembles Roy Bender or a younger Churchill, really looks familiar but I am confused as to ANY of their actual identities.

I wonder if Egbert would have been there somewhere?

Bez, if you have a significant "EX" Gold R2 4 Speed '63 Avanti in your shop, it COULD be the one used for the L.A. Airlift Event, just not the Dallas one.
              Bender, Suslavich and Minkel

Both Avantis are prototypes currently owned by Dave Kinney and are also the New York Auto Show Cars

Finalizing new book on Operation Airlift

FYI - Airlift stopped in Dayton Ohio May 8, 1962 site of this years AOAI National Convention.
              John Hull

Comment

So, it IS the gold one Rich! It's about #5 on the list to be restored.
                Bez Auto Alchemy
                573-318-8948
                http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Avantict View Post
                  Bender, Suslavich and Minkel

Both Avantis are prototypes currently owned by Dave Kinney and are also the New York Auto Show Cars

Finalizing new book on Operation Airlift

FYI - Airlift stopped in Dayton Ohio May 8, 1962 site of this years AOAI National Convention.

I was wrong on the guy in the center. I thought he was Cliff MacMillan, but then thought the guy in the center seemed taller than MacMillan.

Definitely Bender on the left and Minkel on the right.

Bender used to call on my hometown dealer, and a good friend of mine went to his retirement dinner in South Bend along with my friend's boss, the owner of Mack Auto Sales in Akron, OH, whom Bender also used to call on.
                  Bill Pressler
                  Kent, OH
                  All are in Australia now

Comment

So, Bill, is John Hull the winner? 'Looks like it! BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I remember reading that Suslavich used to be with Chrysler and had something to do with the introduction of the Valiant.
                      Bill Pressler
                      Kent, OH
                      All are in Australia now

Comment

Interesting video, must have cost them a fortune considering the board wanted to shut down automotive operations.
                        John Clements
                        Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                          So, Bill, is John Hull the winner? 'Looks like it! BP
                          Bob, my guess is that John has had that piece since Sept. '63, but we'll let him chime in!

Egbert was not at the Cleveland airlift my hometown dealer friend went to. At the podium they had a large photo of Egbert, as I have pics of that day at Cleveland (although very dark).

I see in the video that near the podium is a covered or draped area which I believe is probably the same photo of Egbert I saw in my friend's Cleveland airlift pics.
                          Bill Pressler
                          Kent, OH
                          All are in Australia now

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
                            Bob, my guess is that John has had that piece since Sept. '63, but we'll let him chime in!

Egbert was not at the Cleveland airlift my hometown dealer friend went to. At the podium they had a large photo of Egbert, as I have pics of that day at Cleveland (although very dark).

I see in the video that near the podium is a covered or draped area which I believe is probably the same photo of Egbert I saw in my friend's Cleveland airlift pics.
                            OK, Bill; I'll take that as a "yes" and send John a small brochure for having been the first person to post the correct answer. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Working...
                            X