X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti pics test

Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Note that the car at the meeting of the engineers has a license plate on it, so it was apparently a privately owned vehicle. Just proves that I can look past an older woman.

http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Note that the car at the meeting of the engineers has a license plate on it, so it was apparently a privately owned vehicle. Just proves that I can look past an older woman.

http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Guido

????? What car?????????????

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
        Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that parking is a pleasure, traffic is a breeze, turning's no trick at all, and happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Guido

????? What car?????????????

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
          Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that parking is a pleasure, traffic is a breeze, turning's no trick at all, and happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

I remember reading that Hot Rod Mag road test of the Avanti. They mentioned the car was run at Riverside and it turned 128 plus due to half mile strip. I think it was an R-3 that went 128 mph.
            NEIL G.

Comment

I remember reading that Hot Rod Mag road test of the Avanti. They mentioned the car was run at Riverside and it turned 128 plus due to half mile strip. I think it was an R-3 that went 128 mph.
              NEIL G.

Comment

I think if you look at the car you can tell it is a very early car as it has no grille or window washers and probably no drip rails. The article referred to above is in the June 1963 issue of Hot Rod magazine. On page 105 the author states that after changing to larger tires and trying different driving styles, they were able to get this R-3 Avanti to a class record speed of 128.94 and elapsed time of 21.30. The article also talks about taking the same car to Pomona the next weekend with a 4.89 rear end but the results were disapointing in that it turned 107.78 with an ET of 13.71 in 2 runs after which they discovered the alternator belt had slipped off which ended their day. It also talks Granatelli's efforts on the Salt Flats. it is a great article overall is positive to the Avanti.

See you in the future as I write about our past
                sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

I think if you look at the car you can tell it is a very early car as it has no grille or window washers and probably no drip rails. The article referred to above is in the June 1963 issue of Hot Rod magazine. On page 105 the author states that after changing to larger tires and trying different driving styles, they were able to get this R-3 Avanti to a class record speed of 128.94 and elapsed time of 21.30. The article also talks about taking the same car to Pomona the next weekend with a 4.89 rear end but the results were disapointing in that it turned 107.78 with an ET of 13.71 in 2 runs after which they discovered the alternator belt had slipped off which ended their day. It also talks Granatelli's efforts on the Salt Flats. it is a great article overall is positive to the Avanti.

Comment

Riverside Raceway was a road race course. They had a long straight and ran 1/4 mile drags, 1/2 mile both standing and flying and at times standing and flying KM.

Comment

Riverside Raceway was a road race course. They had a long straight and ran 1/4 mile drags, 1/2 mile both standing and flying and at times standing and flying KM.

Comment

That is correct they were using the the long straight on the backside of Riverside for these runs which was a standard dragstrip et al.

Comment

That is correct they were using the the long straight on the backside of Riverside for these runs which was a standard dragstrip et al.

Comment

Looks like the Corvair spotted the Avanti a few feet for the race .

(I guess since they were both blown, they were considered a match race [?] [:0])

Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Looks like the Corvair spotted the Avanti a few feet for the race .

(I guess since they were both blown, they were considered a match race [?] [:0])

Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                              X