49 Stude 2 ton on Ebay, whats wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 49 Stude 2 ton on Ebay, whats wrong?

Gents I need an education, what is wrong with this E bay truck for sale listing? (ref: E bay item # 202696425592) History is....the truck is on its 3 rd listing in as many weeks, the 1 st listing it was sold at $ 1600, then popped back up (with no detail why the relist) for its 2 nd go round with a buy it now price of $ 1800, (I have emailed the listing with several EASY questions.....no reply) the listing ended with no bids, so it has been listed for the 3 rd time and I have again e mailed E bay listing with the same questions. At one time the listing had over 70 watchers. From what I can surmise from the pics. it seems; 33,000 miles, 2 ton,w/ two speed diff., grain box (no hoist ??), NO data plate info. I have had NO reply on my four simple questions and the seller has an E bay rating of 90%. Anybody have an idea what is going on here? Does anyone have any past contact with this truck? A scam? Thanks for your ideas on this. And yes I am looking SLOWLY for a 1 1/2 - 2 tonner with a hoist. I am still in the wife convincing mode if you know what I am facing.....so far the convincing program has cost me a trip to Iceland and a river cruise to Europe (all worth it I must add). Sherm / Green Bay 63R1089

Sherm - this might be a case of “I’ve got and old vehicle - it must be worth a whole bunch of money - and I am not going to take what it might actually be worth...”. The market on something like this is pretty small and the amount people are willing to pay for it reflects that. Why they are not answering questions is anyones guess - they might not even know how to do that... Good luck.

Comment

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1949-Studeb...IAAOSw5iVc1N8q

It's from the dry part of the country and only used for grain hauling. I've never seen a better one for $1800.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

I am in touch with the owner and am considering making an offer. He says it needs brakes but everything else works on it. I still have a few questions to get answers too before I pull the trigger.
        Ed Sallia
        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

...and a heavy duty fan; what's not to like?

Comment

YOU LUCKY FOLLOW !!! Guess he likes to talk with 'west coasters'. Let me know if it has a hoist!! I am turning GREEN as I type this!!! Second subject: Ed we were visiting a monastery near Dundee OR and I stopped by Dundee Fire Station #3 and got a work 'T' from them for my wardrobe of fire shirts (my old department is in disbelief of the spectrum of the fire shirts I use). It was a very nice station with a friendly crew. Sherm / Green Bay 63R1089

Comment

If it has a hoist, the control mechanism is carefully hidden. I see no sign of any in the cab.
              "In the heart of Arkansas."
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

If it was a grain truck, it almost certainly has a hoist.
                Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Well, yes I did not see any indication of PTO ('s) knobs or handles like I am use to......but I have been on site with grain body straight trucks that relied on a lift/tilt off-loading plant system where the complete truck was tipped for the off-load operation. This was in the mid sixty's at a local small operation cannery, we had 10 trucks and only two had Harsch brand hoist's, all the others were 'tipped dumped'. I was told that if the farmer had his own truck it made it cheaper for his cost and no hoist problems would impact our crop stream into the production lines. Sherm, getting greener in Green Bay / 63R1089

Comment

Originally posted by firestoper 25 View Post
                    YOU LUCKY FOLLOW !!! Guess he likes to talk with 'west coasters'. Let me know if it has a hoist!! I am turning GREEN as I type this!!! Second subject: Ed we were visiting a monastery near Dundee OR and I stopped by Dundee Fire Station #3 and got a work 'T' from them for my wardrobe of fire shirts (my old department is in disbelief of the spectrum of the fire shirts I use). It was a very nice station with a friendly crew. Sherm / Green Bay 63R1089
                    Firestoper 25, I have not yet committed to purchasing this truck. I need to determine how much it will cost to have it towed to Dundee, where I will store it until it can get the brakes worked on, etc. Some of my questions got answered by your first post.
                    I am not sure why the owner responded to me and not to you. I contacted him through the listing.
                    I am sorry I missed you when you came through Dundee. I suspect you were visiting the Trappist Abbey outside of Lafayette. The fire station you visited is brand new. I live just up the hill from there. I would have loved having you drop by. If you come by this way again be sure to let me know.
                    Ed Sallia
                    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Ed, so close and yet sooooo far! I am sure we will be revisiting Brother Mark again and I will see if we can meet and go over the Studebaker religion.Brother Mark was my wife's high school instructor and is pushing the 90 age mark. I'll trade you what it would cost me to get the truck to Green Bay VS the cost to Dundee !! Sherm / Green Bay 63R1089 PS any tactics that have worked for you in being granted spousal approval for LARGE Studebaker haulers??

Comment

John,
                        I think I know who Brother Mark is. I believe I met him briefly when our SDC chapter did a tour at the Abbey about a year or so ago.
                        Alas, the wifey thing... I usually wait until I have accomplished some big job around the property, or she owes me a big favor. When I told her I was looking at this truck she asked me what I had in mind. After I responded she just smiled and said "I see". That could mean anything but I just cleaned our garage so maybe she figures I should have a hay truck for a reward. Who knows.
                        Do you have a need for a vehicle like this? I am just looking at it as an investment that I can use as a trade for something else someday, and an unusual vehicle to take to the local shows in the meantime. If you have a real need for this I would be happy to step aside and let you go for it.
                        Ed Sallia
                        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

I love big old trucks!...and have owned a couple. The downside is, they take up a lot of room to store out of the weather, They won't fit in a standard garage, they are pretty much useless with their low gearing, you need some special (big) tools to work on them, they are tougher than a car to drive (and park ), tires and other parts can be expensive, some of the "truck only" parts are NLA. In spite of that, they turn my crank.

This one looks to me to be a "give-away" at $1800. If you've ever want an old Stude big truck, this is the one. I doubt if you'll ever find one this rust and damage free, this original, with that low mileage again. As a bonus it is an early R with the M dash.
                          Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Ed, did you buy some of the on site made fruit cake? I usually get 2 or 3 'bricks' of it and I don't like fruit cake! I also ration it out for the rest of the year....only real friends are offered the treasure. And to the subject 'of a use for it'....two grand kids (11 yrs. {F} & 8 yrs. [M]) who NEED to be taught what work is and how to do it, a 36 year old 650 John Deere diesel tractor (with all the required dirt /landscaping attachments), a three year old 'new' house that is only now starting to look like someday may look like it belongs Lake Michigan / Green Bay......my goal is for them to be HEAVILY (literally lots of hard work - like we were raised) taught that life on the farm is very different to city life. You design/ plan it, haul-move the materials, make it, you fix it if needed and learn how to be self reliant. And I am 70 with a considerable list of stuff that needs hauled for this place to be up to snuff. The overall goal is Stude to haul, JD to spread, kids for labor assistance, project completion = happy wife ?? I think you should buy the truck (you have the best location), get it operational, I should buy it from you and drive it to Green Bay with the wife. We built a house together (I would NOT recommend that project) so driving cross country at 45 mph @ 10 mpg in a 70 year old 2 ton truck is probably pure science fiction also!! After I bought it from you if any money was left in the Stude fund would go for a long haul trucking firm. I feel you should buy the old girl (the truck NOT the wife) and I will watch from the sidelines (with the delusion of the wife winning the lotto and letting me have a plaything). Sherm / Green Bay

Comment

Kind Sir....what is a M dash. Sherm / Green Bay

Comment

Working...
                              X