49 Stude 2 ton on Ebay, whats wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John,
    If I do buy it I plan on having someone else work on it. Especially have Dick's comments above. I would plan to keep it local until I find the right buyer. In the meantime I would need to find a place to store it. I do not have a big enough building on my property. Besides, my property is sloped and not conducive to a large building without pouring a massive monopour slab foundation. Until I work all these things out I cannot move forward. It does seem to be a really good deal, however, and I don't want to pass it up if I can work things out. I'm open to ideas and suggestions.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by firestoper 25 View Post
      Kind Sir....what is a M dash. Sherm / Green Bay
      I think he means that it has the early M series truck style gauges. The dash itself is the same as the later R series trucks.
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
        I love big old trucks!...and have owned a couple. The downside is, they take up a lot of room to store out of the weather, They won't fit in a standard garage, they are pretty much useless with their low gearing, you need some special (big) tools to work on them, they are tougher than a car to drive (and park ), tires and other parts can be expensive, some of the "truck only" parts are NLA. In spite of that, they turn my crank.

This one looks to me to be a "give-away" at $1800. If you've ever want an old Stude big truck, this is the one. I doubt if you'll ever find one this rust and damage free, this original, with that low mileage again. As a bonus it is an early R with the M dash.
        Me, too. They're great fun and are almost always the only one at an ATHS meet. They always draw a crowd and usually outshine the run-of-the-mill Kenworths and Peterbilts. And (as usual) I agree with Dick (mostly). I've owned a 4E40 flatbed dump for about 20 years, and have never had any problems servicing it -- except for wheels, tires, and brakes. The 9.00 x 20 wheels and tires are big and heavy, and are simply beyond my ability to maneuver by myself. But the rest of truck is pretty much plain old Studebaker, and most of the stuff is still available somewhere. While I agree that they are not high-speed vehicles, the later ones with a V8 and 5-speed OD are easily capable of 60 mph. That said, I wouldn't want to drive one across the country at that speed.
        Skip Lackie

Comment

Honest to Peter.....we need to combine locations.....I have land, a four stall car shop (24' deep) with a full up stairs loft and a 48' lean-to that will be slowly sided in (we wouldn't the zoning people or tax assessor to get excited would we ?). Talk about being in the wrong location at the wrong time.....what a hoot. Sherm / Green Bay

Comment

Ya know, John. If you offered they guy $1,500 for the truck you might have money to have it towed to your place. It sounds like you need it more than I. Dick and Skip make a compelling case for putting this beauty on your farm. Other than brakes and clutch she is ready to go to work.
            Ed Sallia
            Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Yes Skip you are right on about the truck world, I had a 1934 BB Ford 1 1/2 ton dump truck with a Gallion hydraulic box. 7 including the spare 7.00 x 20 tires on split rims.....oh yes mechanical brakes. When you get older everything bigger gets heavier.....law of the universe. Sherm / Green Bay

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
                John,
                I would plan to keep it local until I find the right buyer.
                Keep in mind there isn't much of a market for these old, big trucks.

The current owner has a good listing with good pictures. One of very few trucks in this original condition, low miles, clear title....and he is having a hard time getting $1800 for it.

I wouldn't count on making a profit on this one. Especially after paying someone else to replace the clutch, fix the brakes, and probably some other repairs/parts.

It really needs to go to someone with the room to store it, the tools and know how to make the repairs (and a real love for it of course). They are few and far between unfortunately.
                Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

Yes Mr. S, I agree the big truck market is small and getting more micro and the concept of Studebakers and profit is non existent in this universe. And lets not mention the shrinking number folks that know how to split shift with a two speed diff., double clutch a five speed (overdrive or just regular five speed), judge stopping distances with a full load for traffic conditions, how to raise and dump a two ton load and maintain truck stability.....we could go on for another couple of paragraphs on this line of thought. Yup I agree on your $ 1800 comment. What really draws a heavy vacuum (sucks) is I have the room, the equipment, the talent (its my story & I'am sticking to it!) and as of yet (!) I can still do the heavy work (with the help of several friends who ask why the h**l do you like these Studebakers??). Regards Sherm / Green Bay

Comment

Agree on the small market. I advertised mine for sale on the forum a year or so ago, and only got a few inquiries, and only one person who actually looked at it. Add to that the fact that unless you find one locally, they almost have to be shipped, even if they are fully operable. With no load, they ride hard. So the shipping cost has to be added to the price of the truck. But I would mildly debate Firestopper's comment about double clutching. The New Process 5-spd/OD is a bit awkward to shift, but it's synchro in all but first.
                    Skip Lackie

Comment

Owner says "No hoist".
                      Ed Sallia
                      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
                        Owner says "No hoist".
                        This method is still used today...

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by firestoper 25 View Post
                          Yes Mr. S, I agree the big truck market is small and getting more micro and the concept of Studebakers and profit is non existent in this universe. And lets not mention the shrinking number folks that know how to split shift with a two speed diff., double clutch a five speed (overdrive or just regular five speed), judge stopping distances with a full load for traffic conditions, how to raise and dump a two ton load and maintain truck stability.....we could go on for another couple of paragraphs on this line of thought. Yup I agree on your $ 1800 comment. What really draws a heavy vacuum (sucks) is I have the room, the equipment, the talent (its my story & I'am sticking to it!) and as of yet (!) I can still do the heavy work (with the help of several friends who ask why the h**l do you like these Studebakers??). Regards Sherm / Green Bay
                          Sherm, you're the PERFECT guy for this truck.

BTW, I grew up in Marshfield. I bought my Model A a few years ago on the Door Peninsula. 3rd owner.

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Wow a great looking 30 two door coach just enough 'scruff' to look like its 1940 and just back from Saturday afternoon in town getting a weeks worth of supplies! You drove past my place going up the Door to pick it up! That picture of the BIG TIPPER is a hoot.....looks like it could tip an ore boat......I don't think I would want to be sleeping in the truck cab between loads when this old gal raises up.

I will let you and Ed call my wife and sway her to letting me get this truck.....ho-ho...I will be running away as fast as I can run.....they will never find our three bodies....Lake Michigan NEVER gives up her Studebaker people I hear.

I agree with you about the 5 sp OD trans and its shifting I was thinking about the other older trans. and with 60+ thousand miles of abuse matching gear teeth and road speed is getting to be a lost art and lets not get into down shifting shall we?

And yes ED $1500 would be a great deal.......I just need to find monies for the divorce, my relocation costs, the auction house to sell my current Studebaker inventory......and so it goes said Paul Harvey!

Regrets Sherm / Green Bay

Comment

"... just enough 'scruff' to look like its 1940 and just back from Saturday afternoon in town getting a weeks worth of supplies! "

. Perfect. I'm going to reuse that line.
                              Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Interesting feedback comment:

I tried to pay for this item at least seven times with no success. Buyer: l***3 ( 1906) During past month
                                1949 Studebaker (#202682038297) US $1,600.00 View Item
                                When you click on the View Item link:
                                The listing you're looking for has ended.

1949 Studebaker
                                Condition:
                                Used

Ended:
                                May 18, 2019, 09:51:22 AM PDT

Price:
                                US $1,600.00
                                sigpic
                                Dave Lester

Comment

Working...
                                X