Greenville, PA Heritage Days Super Cruise, July 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greenville, PA Heritage Days Super Cruise, July 6

Just a plug for my favorite hometown's wonderful annual car show during Greenville's "Heritage Days" weekend. Greenville is a small town of about 5,900 in NW PA, longtime home of Thiel College and built upon the railroads of the time.

"Official" show time is 2-6 but if you arrive at 2 you will have a hard time finding a space!

This show draws about 700 cars typically and is a Main St. car show. It is rated in Ohio's "Cruisin' Times" magazine as one of the "Ten Best Downtown Car Shows" and this year is being filmed for the Lokar car show which is on Motor Trend TV Network, MAVTV, and Rev'n.

Studebakers typically gather at the far eastern-most portion of the show, right at the intersection of Main St. and College Ave., in front of Shelly Memorial.

I think folks who have been here before will report it's a very good show. Free T-shirts to the first 200 who bring and register their car, free entry for all, and wine given as trophies at the end of the day.

This year the "Ed Filer Memorial Best Of Show" trophy is given in honor of longtime Greenville Studebaker-Packard-MercedesBenz-Simca dealer Ed Filer, who died in 2018. Nice that he is being honored nearly forty years after he and his family moved to central Ohio. Ed visited annually and still had a lot of friends in the area. His son Ted is coming all the way up from Columbus, OH to pick the vehicle and give the award.

If you have any questions, please post here or IM me here.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Bill Pressler; 06-03-2019, 06:35 AM.
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Bill - Every year this sounds like a great event, but just too far for me.

Since I know you, I can't resist commenting on this quote "
    ...my favorite hometown's...." Since one only has one hometown, it is also the favorite, worst, hated, etc. I believe that you mean that it is your favorite car show and that it is held in your hometown. I grew up in a Village of less than 1000 people, so I understand your feeling.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Good point Gary, although could "Kent, OH" be called my hometown too since I've lived here since 1991? Just kiddin'; to me, "hometown" means 'where you grew up'.

It is a distance from you there, that's for sure!
      Bill Pressler
      Kent, OH
      All are in Australia now

Comment

Hometown | Definition of Hometown by Merriam-Webster

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hometown
        Definition of hometown. : the city or town where one was born or grew up also : the place of one's principal residence.
        sigpic
        Dave Lester

Comment

My mom passed away January 30 this year. And, although she was my only mom, for years I made her smile by telling her every day she was my favorite mom! I do the same for my (only) wife, my (only) daughter, etc. For others, like my sisters, I'll use the expression you are my favorite sister... named Lynn, or my favorite sister... named Robin, and so on...I know it's corny, but it always elicits a smile.

I too have a favorite hometown named Greenville, (South Carolina), and for reasons I'll not bore you with here, one of the best turns in my life was moving away in my teens only to move back on my own after returning from Vietnam and meeting my wife here.(another good turn in my life) My postal address is for the town of Greer, SC, but it is in Greenville County.

Like where most of you live in many parts of the country, our towns (incorporated & unincorporated) within counties got their individual names by having something commercially significant in their history. But, if you stop and think about it, most of these little towns/hamlets/villages/cities are only a quarter to half a day's calm horse/mule ride apart. In the days before electricity, that would enable a person reasonable time to saddle up/hitch up, go to town, and get back home with enough daylight to take care of chores.

Therefore, although I have the city limits of the hometown of my birth nearby, the city limits of current hometown address is not much closer. Even if you don't live within any town/city limits...when asked "where are you from?" Most folks will respond to the town associated with their current home address. At least, that's the way I see it.
          Last edited by jclary; 06-04-2019, 03:23 AM.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
            My mom passed away January 30 this year. And, although she was my only mom, for years I made her smile by telling her every day she was my favorite mom! I do the same for my (only) wife, my (only) daughter, etc. For others, like my sisters, I'll use the expression you are my favorite sister... named Lynn, or my favorite sister... named robin, and so on...I know it's corny, but it always elicits a smile.

I too have a favorite hometown named Greenville, (South Carolina), and for reasons I'll not bore you with here, one of the best turns in my life was moving away in my teens only to move back on my own after returning from Vietnam and meeting my wife here.(another good turn in my life) My postal address is for the town of Greer, SC, but it is in Greenville County.

Like where most of you live in many parts of the country, our towns (incorporated & unincorporated) within counties got their individual names by having something commercially significant in their history. But, if you stop and think about it, most of these little towns/hamlets/villages/cities are only a quarter to half a day's calm horse/mule ride apart. In the days before electricity, that would enable a person reasonable time to saddle up/hitch up, go to town, and get back home with enough daylight to take care of chores.

Therefore, although I have the city limits of the hometown of my birth nearby, the city limits of current hometown address is not much closer. Even if you don't live within any town/city limits...when asked "where are you from?" Most folks will respond to the town associated with their current home address. At least, that's the way I see it.
            A couple of related comments.
            1) My father had three grandchildren, two boys and one girl. He always referred to the girl as his "favorite granddaughter". It took her years to catch on to this - that she was his only granddaughter.
            2) My address is given as Wappingers Falls, but I do not reside in Wappingers Falls. I reside in the Town of Wappinger. My mailing address is determined by the Post Office that covers this area and that happens to be in the Village of Wappingers Falls. Other parts of the Town of Wappinger have other mailing addresses, such as; Fishkill, Hughsonville, Hopewell Junction.
            Last edited by studegary; 06-02-2019, 07:14 PM. Reason: missing s
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I can vouch for this being a very enjoyable car show. It's one that I look forward to every year. I'll try to make it again this year Bill. Not sure yet about bringing the '54. It needs some attention that I haven't had time to give it (so far). About 60 miles one way for me, which isn't bad.

Comment

Thanks, Dave, I hope to see you there! I'm planning on having my '66 Cruiser there, barring any unforseen things! Haven't had a chance to break it out of storage yet, with the relentless rainy weather we've had, and my daughter's out-of-town wedding a few weeks ago and my other daughter's out-of-town college graduation the very next weekend!
                Bill Pressler
                Kent, OH
                All are in Australia now

Comment

Friendly bump.

It's on my calendar, and I live about an hour-and-fifteen-minutes away. Always a lot of Ohio cars there. Come on over!
                  Last edited by Bill Pressler; 06-11-2019, 03:08 AM.
                  Bill Pressler
                  Kent, OH
                  All are in Australia now

Comment

Another friendly bump.
                    Bill Pressler
                    Kent, OH
                    All are in Australia now

Comment

Working...
                    X