Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Found a Very Nice '63 Cruiser. Need opinions. Not online, local.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 57pack
    replied
    Years ago I came by a 1963 Lark Cruiser, car was beautiful and had all the options. Gorgeous plush interior, power steering, power brakes, and air conditioning . Car had been in a minor fender bender. Needed a bumper, fender, and front grill panel.
    I was going to purchase it but came down with the flu. Went back and car was gone. Owner called the local junk yard and had towed it away. I traced down the yard and found car had already been crushed and sent to the shredder in Philly.
    always regret losing that one.

Leave a comment:

• Pepse
    replied
    JoeHall,

As for the heater? I think I'll stick with the original for its simplicity. I mean I looked at it today and it appears I gotta remove the hoses and 3 nuts and the wire for the fan and disconnect the defroster ducts. Can't argue with that. Unless replacing it with a '57 Champion setup would be a simple job I might go that route.

I have no idea if the man with the '63 sold it or not.

Later. Pepse.

Leave a comment:

• JoeHall
    replied
    To the OP, do you know if the car ever sold?

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    This is just my personal opinion and not necessarily your's but:
    I would seek out the "Optional" Studebaker Climitizer System with Fresh outside Air and Defrost from a '57 Champion, Commander or President Sedan or Wagon to replace the "Hades" recirculating Box Heater in most Scotsmen.

Leave a comment:

• Pepse
    replied
    I guess sticking with the '57 must be my goal as a local club member is willing to sell me his '63 Wagonaire but I declined. So, off to the '57 today; I think my heater core is going bad so I gotta check it out and probably pull it.

Later. Pepse.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    You probably made a smart decision due to your limited budget and the obvious need for more repairs than would be obvious.

By the way, we have heard the seller's wivestale story about the Floor Hump before here, so it had to be about this same Car and Owner.

Leave a comment:

• Pepse
    replied
    Well, it is months later. I did not get it because when I went to get it he mentioned that I get a driver's side rear lower 1/4 panel and of course the power steering pump is bad and the paint is peeling on the drivers side "C" pillar and he has a electric fuel pump to get it going in hot weather. I thought what else might it need in the short term? So, that is why I gave up. True I don't have my '57 on the road either but hey I can still put money into it over the winter.

Later.

Leave a comment:

• avantilover
    replied
    You have to feel comfortable before making a purchase, so if this isn't right for you don't buy it, only you can decide as only you have seen it.

Best wishes whatever you decide.

Leave a comment:

• 62champ
    replied
    Originally posted by Pepse View Post
    I got Cold Feet, not sure what I am going to do. Sorry.

Pepse.
    So no Cruiser?

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    To start you off on the right foot, it is a 1963 Cruiser. It is not a "Lark Cruiser".

Leave a comment:

• SScopelli
    replied
    I did notice one oddity.. The pink wire is from the ignition key and is a resistor wire. Why is it hooked to a MOPAR resistor?

Normally that pink wire is crimped together with the wire from the starter solenoid and connected directly to the coil.

You may want to have him sort that out before you buy.

Leave a comment:

• Pepse
    replied
    I got Cold Feet, not sure what I am going to do. Sorry.

Pepse.

Leave a comment:

• avantilover
    replied
    Congratulations on the 63 Cruiser, hopefully the electric fuel pump has a safety cut off of some kind as I imagine there could be an issue if the mechanical fuel pump failed and the electric was still pumping.

The power steering pump should be able to be rebuilt.

Happy Studebakering in your new Cruiser.

Leave a comment:

• Pepse
    replied
    "Make sure you drive it regularly". Yep, I hope to drive it silly; and me too. And I have a few pics now but once home I will get more. I know I am gonna love this car.

Almost forgot. The current owner stated that the power steering pump leaks so it is disconnected.

Later. Pepse.
    Last edited by Pepse; 06-23-2019, 09:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 62champ
    replied
    Make sure you have lots of photographic documentation of the new member of the family! Make sure you drive it regularly, a problem is not the end of the world - enjoy and congratulations.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X