Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Found a Very Nice '63 Cruiser. Need opinions. Not online, local.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found a Very Nice '63 Cruiser. Need opinions. Not online, local.

I tell ya people I haven't been a Studebaker person for all that long. I mean I got a '57 Scotsman from my late father-in-law 2 1/2 years ago. Needs a restoration. For those that know of me it is not that far from road ready. But today I am reading the local paper and they have "city wide garage sales" and there is a garage sale that also lists a Studebaker and a Plymouth. Well the wife says go check it out. I did, I like it. It is show worthy as the owner has trophy's. Oh, it is a '63 Stude Cruiser 4 door sedan, 289 CID, Flight-o-matic. It is Sea Spray Green. Not a catchy color but then this is actually built for a woman. It has a Vanity compartment Not a glove compartment and a raised part on the passenger side floor that (as the owner said) has something to do with when women wear heels it is a reminder that they have heels on. ?? It is a turn key car. Great I'd be on the road a lot sooner verses roughly mid summer for the '57 Scotsman sans a paint job. So, I guess by posting here I am looking for help. I mean it is a about 3 grand above what we can spare, period. Which leaves virtually nothing for the '57 for quite some time. So, being crazy I decided to post for opinions. I have pics.

Later. Pepse.
    Remember. ALWAYS fasten your seat belts as it makes it harder for the Aliens to suck you out of your car.

Post the pictures as this will help on checking it out. I have had Studebaker that I drove while in Rogers’s but it is always better, if you can afford it to buy them mostly complete because there is always something you will want to do. Or need to do to make it yours.

I drove a 63 Cruiser for 8+ years on a daily basis and loved it and the looks. We loved the vanity and front end look. Yes more rounded than the 64-66 but classic!

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Bullet View Post
      Post the pictures as this will help on checking it out. I have had Studebaker that I drove while in Rogers’s but it is always better, if you can afford it to buy them mostly complete because there is always something you will want to do. Or need to do to make it yours.

I drove a 63 Cruiser for 8+ years on a daily basis and loved it and the looks. We loved the vanity and front end look. Yes more rounded than the 64-66 but classic!

Mark
      I also had a 1963 Cruiser that I used as a regular driver. I liked the car except for the color.

It is normally best to buy the best condition car that you can. When you say $3000 above what you can afford, it makes me wonder if the Cruiser is overpriced. They are nice cars, but the four door sedans generally bring much less than a two door hardtop and even less than a convertible.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

To answer the money aspect he was asking for $7500, but said he could let it go for $6000. For us that is double what we can afford for another car; although it is a Classic. I hope I can get pics to work:
        Attached Files
        Remember. ALWAYS fasten your seat belts as it makes it harder for the Aliens to suck you out of your car.

Comment

I have more pics if needed.

Later. Pepse.

Comment

You cannot restore a 63 Cruiser for 6K. If it is what the pics show it to be it's probably worth the money. You cannot restore your Scotsman for 6K. Even a 6 cylinder rebuild will be close to 3K. Paint and body work will be over 3K. 63 Cruiser will always be a much nicer car to drive with plenty power and comfort. You can buy a done car cheaper than restoring one. Just my opinion and experience.
            Kim

Comment

That is a nice looking car! I dont know if Id be able to pass that up if I had the money for it. Tough decision!

Will you kick yourself in a month if you dont buy it now?

Comment

kamzack, I agree. I know it will cost a lot for the '57, but I am trying to focus on it. I mean when I was given a choice as to taking 4 Larks to make 1 or 2 Or take the '57 and go with it. Obviously I took the '57. Another reason for the choice is I grew up with full size cars, not full size compacts. But it is tough at this moment.

creegster, I am kicking myself now, but trying to come up with plan "B"

Later. Pepse.

Comment

Unless it's been terribly rusty underneath and has been patched up, it looks to be well worth the money.

Note that it lost its oil bath air cleaner (on the window sticker) somewhere along the way, but that's no big deal.

Looks like a nice car! BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                  "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I prefer oil bath, if I had the choice.....looks like maybe someone thought this was a 61-62' given the color and the tires.....nice car, hold rust inspection...

Comment

Originally posted by Pepse View Post
                      It is Sea Spray Green. Not a catchy color but then this is actually built for a woman. It has a Vanity compartment Not a glove compartment and a raised part on the passenger side floor that (as the owner said) has something to do with when women wear heels it is a reminder that they have heels on. ??
                      As for the Vanity, it was standard equipment for all Larks in 1963 (except for maybe the standard/base model Larks) and I doubt the raised part of the passenger floor was for high-heel awareness, as all Larks used the same floor pans.
                      It is a great looking car, and appears to have correct reproduction upholstery which looks perfect. Take the car for a test drive, and follow your gut feeling.
                      sigpic
                      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

If it is not a rusty car patched up and it drives ok, offer him $5K cash. You can either sell your '57 to help finance it or drive it until your '57 is finished and then sell it and probably get your money back and perhaps with a profit.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                          Unless it's been terribly rusty underneath and has been patched up, it looks to be well worth the money.

Note that it lost its oil bath air cleaner (on the window sticker) somewhere along the way, but that's no big deal.

Looks like a nice car! BP
                          Production Order, not "window sticker" (normally meaning new car pricing label), even though it is affixed to a window.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Quit stalling!...If you enjoy mechanical tinkering, have sufficient curiosity for improving your skills and learning things new to you, then you have great potential for a great journey/experience with this vehicle. It has sufficient power, and is family friendly. It will never be a 100,000 mile between tune-up service vehicle. None of these cars are ever "finished," as we know current computer controlled minimum maintenance vehicles. You will need a set of tools, grease gun, wheel puller, brake adjuster, manuals, & willingness to read & study...even if you hire a mechanic, knowing the basic mechanical requirements will equip you with sufficient judgement to hire a knowledgeable mechanic.

Having to pay more than you were hoping for should solidify your commitment and make the vehicle more valuable requiring you to give it proper care. Hopefully, your commitment will include a good place to keep it out of the sun and rain. If not now, some kind of shelter will be part of your plan going forward. Just got back from church after my first foray in public this year in my 1955 truck(pictured below). A fellow church member approached me and asked, "When did you get that truck?" "Oh...'bout 44 years ago," was my reply. Back when I bought it, I was fresh out of college, living in a mobile home.

Price wise...it was a steal...but a significant sacrifice...I didn't know it was a steal back then...now I know!

So...quit stalling...buy it...report back to us in 40 years.
                            John Clary
                            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

As for the oil bath air cleaner? He has it. As for the window sticker? There is another one on the passenger side. Both "stickers have the "build sheet" at the bottom. I will add the other one to this post.

There was 2 other guys looking at it while I was there. They seemed very impressed with the chassis. Which (for what it is worth) the Build Sheet states the car was undercoated.

The car does have the necessary shop manual, and chassis manual, and some other books that are in the trunk.

Yeah, overall as I see it it would be worth it. Now for plan "B".

Later. Pepse.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X