Information needed for book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Information needed for book

I'm trying to write a book about the weirdest and most wonderful cars out there. After all, what else am I going to do with my life? As I am more than halfway done at this point, all I need is some information concerning the following:

- President "four seasons" Roadster
    - Coupe Express
    - GT Hawk
    - Avanti
    - Lark
    - Rockne (very confused on this)

Thanks a bunch in advance!
    Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Jake

I'm not sure how deep you want to drill but here is the Avanti website with a concise history of the marque. It will also discuss the Avanti II's. There are click through links to further discuss certain areas. For in-depth John Hull has a book that really digs deep.

http://www.theavanti.com/avanti.html

Bob

Comment

Why would any Studebaker be considered weird?..... Wonderful, I get.
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

I do not agree with your "weird" classification. I believe that you can come up with a more descriptive word.

For information on the cars mentioned, go to a couple of the better books on Studebakers. I refer to the books by Fred K. Fox and Asa Hall. As mentioned, use John Hull's book for Avanti information.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by Stude Shoo-wop! View Post
          I'm trying to write a book about the weirdest and most wonderful cars out there. After all, what else am I going to do with my life? As I am more than halfway done at this point, all I need is some information concerning the following:

- President "four seasons" Roadster
          - Coupe Express
          - GT Hawk
          - Avanti
          - Lark
          - Rockne (very confused on this)

Thanks a bunch in advance!
          Jake,
          A commendable effort. A perspective from a young fan will be welcome. There are as mentioned several links to follow. Be sure to sight references so others can do further reading.

I would like to offer to you a collection of Turning Wheels, Antique Studebaker Review, Skinned Knuckles magazines. These date back to the 1970,71 to the present. I will give them to you free. All you have to do is pay for the shipping. Book Rate at 70 pounds to Florida from Arizona might be a bit expensive but I would be happy to calculate the cost.

This is all coming from Bruce Wheeler's estate. I bought them to avoid having all of them being tossed to the dump. If you need help with the postage, maybe some of the members of the forum would pitch in. I don't know how many boxes there would be but it did take me an hour and a half to load them into my wife's van. I would prefer they go as a complete set. It will be a great read as you can see how our Studebaker Drivers Club has evolved and improved over the last 49 years.

Bob Miles
          Pacific Southwest Zone Coordinator
          Last edited by 6hk71400; 05-28-2019, 08:07 AM. Reason: additional information

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
            Jake,
            A commendable effort. A perspective from a young fan will be welcome. There are as mentioned several links to follow. Be sure to sight references so others can do further reading.

I would like to offer to you a collection of Turning Wheels, Antique Studebaker Review, Skinned Knuckles magazines. These date back to the 1970,71 to the present. I will give them to you free. All you have to do is pay for the shipping. Book Rate at 70 pounds to Florida from Arizona might be a bit expensive but I would be happy to calculate the cost.

This is all coming from Bruce Wheeler's estate. I bought them to avoid having all of them being tossed to the dump. If you need help with the postage, maybe some of the members of the forum would pitch in. I don't know how many boxes there would be but it did take me an hour and a half to load them into my wife's van. I would prefer they go as a complete set. It will be a great read as you can see how our Studebaker Drivers Club has evolved and improved over the last 49 years.

Bob Miles
            I sent a PM your way. Please give it a gander!
            Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

Don't forget the Erskine!

Comment

If you have specific questions about any of the pre-war vehicles you mention I can answer them. There is no shortage of information. State specifically what you want. Volumes have been written on most all of those vehicles. For example I wrote a 5000+ word article on the 1937-39 Couper Expresses, something similar on the 1931 Presidents (have over 100 original factory photos of just the Four Season roadster). Same on the Rockne. How old are you and what are you planning to do with your writing?
                Richard Quinn
                Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Between the generous offers from Bob Miles and Richard Quinn you have a treasure that you should follow through with serious consideration. In those years of Turning Wheels are tons of great information already well prepared. Much of it by Richard Quinn and others. Just make sure to study, and learn when it is appropriate to credit the work already done by others so that your writing contributes to their work without claiming their work as your own. Properly done, new informational books will compliment, build, and strengthen the entire body of work. I love youthful enthusiasm and hope none of us discourage you in any way. Keep it up and best wishes from me.
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                    How old are you and what are you planning to do with your writing?
                    Well, Mr. Quinn, I just turned 19 years old not too long ago and I hope to get my work (whatever it may be) published to a wider audience. I greatly value your or anyone else's material on this matter. Thanks for taking an interest!

Comment

I'd say anything about Studebaker that doesn't take electricity to look at or read is a seriously GOOD idea! That meaning that there's so much info on internet, but to get to it you have to switch some kind of computer on & I like the feeling of books & such stuff.
                      Last edited by Noxnabaker; 06-11-2019, 01:44 AM.
                      sigpic

Josephine
                      Champion V8
                      4d sedan

Comment

Jake, as others have said, you have the availability of more than a lifetime of printed and verbal information. By all means take advantage of the offers extended to you, and in addition I'd suggest you make attempts to attend any Studebaker meet you can get to. Chapter meetings all the way through the International meets always have individuals with a wealth of information and guidance in all things Studebaker (and many other manufacturers as well). Good luck with your project and keep us up to speed on it's progress! Bill

Comment

Jake, have you read my book "My Father The Car: Memoirs of my life with Studebaker"? You can get it from the Studebaker National Museum and the AOAI. It would be a help to you.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Jake sent you a PM

Cheers
                            Bob Miles

Comment

Jake,

I currently have 8 boxes of books and still working. 2 questions: 1 what type of mail delivery do you have at your home address? Is it curb side or Neighborhood Box Unit where everyone picks up the mail with a key at a central box location with 2 parcel lockers at the side?

2. If the USPS tries to deliver and no one is home they will leave a notice to pick up. Would you like me to mail them all at once and you have to crate 8 heavy boxes or send one every two to three days? These are going ground transportation and will take 8-10 days to go from Tucson to Florida.

One member on the forum has offered to make a donation to help partially off set the cost but wishes to remain anonymous. I will say this: he is a member and is in the Pacific Southwest Zone!

Bob Miles
                              Last edited by 6hk71400; 06-10-2019, 03:42 PM. Reason: additional information

Comment

Working...
                              X