I need a reality check!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a reality check!

Albert Ross, a/k/a my 1963 R1092 R2/Powershift car has been a challenge, but I've won. But I am tired. Is Hagerty's value of $16,000 realistic for a #4 car? That's a bit less than I have in it, but that's the way things go.

Here is a quick synopsis of Albert: Original RS 1038 R2, which was just rebuilt completely. Supercharger works fine. Hog troughs and frame are solid. Completely new/remanufactured brakes, from the pedal to the disc/drums, with a Turner conversion on the front. Steering is good, exhaust is old but solid, glass is good. I finally overcame all the crap that comes with a car that was poorly stored for 20+ years. Finally, everything works as it should, and it drives well. Well, there is no antenna, so the radio is unknown and the clock...it of course does not work. Glass is all good, and very little fiberglass work to be done.

Here is where it gets ugly like a moldy original Shakespeare manuscript: The paint SUCKS! But really awful paint isn't any more expensive to repair than tired paint. Chrome is straight, but worn and pitted. Maybe OK for a driver if you aren't picky. The car sat for years outside, filled with water, and got really moldy inside. I stripped most of it, scrubbed the heck out of it, but everything needs re-doing. Dash pad is passable, but not perfect.

Here is my conundrum: It's a great driver, ready to go if you are blind, but as butt-ugly as it can be. It does not present well, yet everything it needs probably costs no more than if it just looked tired.

Is the Hagerty's value reasonable? How can I present this car for sale better than any photos would suggest? What venue might be best to present it?
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

I can't speak to value but you might contact a local detailer to see if the paint can be improved. I'm still a fan of ebay with an ad like Matt or Dick S. can author. You can set a reserve and the cost if it doesn't sell is not bad. I'm starting to like BaT but I'd start with the Big Dog.

Bob

Comment

Ron, I am lost...what is the link between R1092 (remember my money pit is R1089) and RS1038? Sherm / Green Bay 63R1089

Comment

Thanks Bob, but when white paint us down to speckled primer, even krylon is a huge improvement. It's way beyond detailing.
        Ron Dame
        '63 Champ

Comment

It is what it is. Present it honestly and you are more apt to sell it (from my experience) than trying, without much success from the sound of it, to make it "appear" as something most can readily see that it's not. Then, move on. Just my thoughts, and all th best.

Comment

It is very hard to guess these values without seeing them, but as you very honestly described it, unless that Interior is as New, I just do not see it much over $10,000.00 Sadly.

Maybe a cheaper paint job and driving it 5 to 10 years, is the best way to get the most out of what you have spent.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by firestoper 25 View Post
              Ron, I am lost...what is the link between R1092 (remember my money pit is R1089) and RS1038? Sherm / Green Bay 63R1089
              I think RS1038 is just the R2 ENGINE Number.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                It is very hard to guess these values without seeing them, but as you very honestly described it, unless that Interior is as New, I just do not see it much over $10,000.00 Sadly.

Maybe a cheaper paint job and driving it 5 to 10 years, is the best way to get the most out of what you have spent.
                I agree. It's surprising how people today can't seem to overlook bad paint on an otherwise good car. That said, a paint job these days can cost as much as you are willing to pay, a $400 Earl Scheib paint jpb can go a long way when it comes to curb appeal. Ask any woman.
                sigpic

Comment

I deal with this all the time in my line of work. But it is especially a problem with the less known/popular brands like Studebaker, Nash, etc. There is still a huge contingent of people who think any Studebaker is rare just because you don’t see them around that much. More so, they think rarity translates to value.

The reality is, rarity does not always translate to value; sometimes, far from it. This is what you run into with Studebaker. The attraction to most postwar Studebakers is there weirdness and quirkiness, but most of all they’re relatively low in value as a group. That’s a great thing to get people into the hobby. The problem is, that does not translate to resale value. I sometimes have the unenviable task of breaking this news to somebody who thinks they have found a gold mine coming across one of these cars.

Here’s the good news – in the grand scheme of things, you’re not talking about a super large sum of money. I have no idea what you paid or what you have spent on the car. But we have customers every day spend more than what the resale value of their vehicle is for the love of the car and the preservation of history. It could be worse. At Barrett Jackson in January there was a guy who brought a first generation Camaro convertible with the receipts for over $140,000 in restoration costs. He chose to bring it to Scottsdale and sell it at no reserve. Sale price? $63,000. If you watch a replay of the auction you can see the guy turn white and look ill and turn to the auctioneer and try to tell him, no, I can’t sell it for that, But he had chosen to sell it no reserve. I felt bad for that guy. But this happens every day in the hobby.

Look at it this way- you got to put your hands on a piece of Automotive history, and bring it back to life. Enjoy it until you’re done with it, then move it on for what the market will give; and chalk up any loss as your contribution to the hobby.
                  Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                  Romans 15:13
                  Deuteronomy 31:6
                  Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by bensherb View Post
                    I agree. It's surprising how people today can't seem to overlook bad paint on an otherwise good car. That said, a paint job these days can cost as much as you are willing to pay, a $400 Earl Scheib paint jpb can go a long way when it comes to curb appeal. Ask any woman.
                    Yeah, but if I'm gonna do it, I'm gonna do it right. If I want to go cheap, I'll go to Sherwin Willams
                    Ron Dame
                    '63 Champ

Comment

I agree with you Bob, I did not buy it to make money, but now that I'm done, I'm trying to minimize my losses. Even though the engine rebuild cost more that it added to value, it should be easier to sell than it would with low oil pressure.
                      Ron Dame
                      '63 Champ

Comment

Definitely. Really, that’s the best you can do.

My goal for the rest of my life is to work on and promote this rolling artwork and preserve our Automotive heritage anyway I can. I sometimes have people come to me for advice that are looking to take their first step in to the hobby; whether it’s for a specific car that is their dream car, or just wanting an older car for enjoying the experience. I always tell them that there is a series of questions they need to answer first; without going into all of it, one of the main questions is, how concerned are you with buying an investment that will make you money in the end? That can be done-Then you’re talking about a very expensive piece that requires meticulous storage and care then you’re talking about a very expensive piece that requires meticulous storage and care... all costs money. And even with a so-called blue-chip investment vehicle, there are no guarantees.

My real love is for these lower-level cars, the kind I grew up working on with my father. Unfortunately, the numbers do not always support them. The sad part is, most people are assuming they will, and end up bitterly disappointed when they get that reality check…
                        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

We all know how much you like to dream. https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....or-restoration

Craig
                          Last edited by 8E45E; 05-24-2019, 04:40 AM.

Comment

Though I am not a fan of the look, would a quick primer job be worth money and effort to make the car more presentable? Not to hide anything, but the car is white with lots of big chips and scratches down to the original red primer, so it really looks like a measles outbreak.
                            Ron Dame
                            '63 Champ

Comment

Tough call. Personally, when I’m buying, I prefer not to see it. It’s just another layer that will need to be removed. And it seems more honest to me as a buyer.
                              Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Working...
                              X