X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50Champ
    replied
    Originally posted by thom View Post
    Let me be the first to offer some static then. Shame on you.
    You don't need to justify what you're doing to him. It's your car and you can modify it any way you want. If he doesn't like it that's just too bad. It's unfortunate that he wasn't mature enough to keep his negative opinion to himself. Keep up the great work....

Leave a comment:

• 50Champ
    replied
    Originally posted by junior View Post
    Looking good Sal...but tubs...what are tubs???
    Tubs are when you cut into the body so you can fit wider tires on the rear axle. The wider the tire the more traction you get when you take off....
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• (S)
    replied
    Cross-eyed lights? You sure the LEFT is on the LEFT and the RIGHT is on the Right?

Leave a comment:

• spokejr
    replied
    Anybody who has dabbled in British car and motorcycles will appreciate;
    "Lightes are so overated!"
    "A gentleman never motors after dark."
    Joseph Lucas, the prince of darkness.

Leave a comment:

• sals54
    replied
    Yeah, maybe. I've been looking at the way they mount to the side of the cowl. I think there might me a way to make a small cut in the opening on the side of the headlight pod which will allow more movement.
    It's another reason for wanting to securely mount all the front end sheet metal cuz the headlights seem to dance around when the car is moving. They are tight to the body, but the body is what is allowing the movement.
    So, if I can remedy both issues, I might have headlights that stay still while driving at night.

Leave a comment:

• j.byrd
    replied
    sals54, just wondering here....couldn't you just "massage" a very small flat top'd bump for the lights to set on to align them straight ? It probably wouldn't have to be very "tall" at all on the front of the bump, and I'm betting no one would ever notice.

Leave a comment:

• sals54
    replied
    Wow... that one is gorgeous. Sadly, mine will not look quite like that when it's "done". Not my style. Someone else down the line will have to do that part of it. But, like him, I'm not ravaging any part of the car which can not be put back together.
    I wonder if those headlights are a little cross-eyed? Mine are doing the same thing and I'm not sure I can get them to move out any further.

Leave a comment:

• 62champ
    replied
    Looking good! A lot of work that will be worth it in the end.

Couple years back I did a double-take while driving out of Frankfort, KY, and turned around to snap some photos of the car below. Talked to the owner and he said he bought the it from the original owner in the early 2000s. He loved the body style so much, he did not want the guy building it to do anything with it. They pulled all the running gear and installed a complete set up from an early 2000s firebird or something similar to that. It will go to his oldest grandson because he found out it is the most expensive antique car in grandpa's collection.

Leave a comment:

• sals54
    replied
    Here are the brackets I made up for the fender mounts. The long end bolts to the frame horns. As you can see, my scientific methodology caused me to redrill a couple of the holes before I got all the way done. Those two interfered with the welds on the cross member. The 45* angle allows for the top corner to miss the body work of the fender. Its 3/16" steel plate. The corners were slotted, not cut all the way through, then bent into the correct angle, then welded. I drilled everything to fit, instead of relying on the holes to be properly aligned from scratch. That is, of course, how I missed the location of the two inside mounts. Anyhoo. I bolted them all up and it's very solid as I had hoped. Last step on this stage is to be sure the nose of the grill has a solid mount to the frame horns as well. That is the only part which seems to want to move around anymore.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5340.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	1729120Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5341.jpg
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	1729121Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5342.jpg
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	1729119
    Next is to make a new set of brackets very similar to these. Instead of the horizontal part which carries the fenders, that part will bend upwards, vertical to carry only the mounting bolts of the nose of the grill. All else will remain the same.
    So I'll be interchanging the brackets depending on which iteration I'll be running. Fenders or no fenders.

Leave a comment:

• JoeHall
    replied
    I like it! Looking at the firewall pix in posts 7 and 10, I see you installed a brake combination valve under the tandem MC. I was at the annual Street Rod National in Louisville a few days ago, and noticed all the kool kids are now running those combo valves. I am still trying to figure out how to mount one on a Hawk, and driven by determination. LOL

Looking forward to seeing pix when you get'er on the road.

Leave a comment:

• sals54
    replied
    I got the brackets for the front sheet metal done today. I'll take them off tomorrow for painting and post pictures. It looks like they will do the trick nicely. Very stout. 3/16 steel plate bent and welded to shape. Bolted to the frame horns for support.
    These are for the fenders to mount. I had to make these first cuz I needed to know that they would support the front end with everything in its proper place on X Y and Z axis.
    Next is to make another set, but this time without the horizontal "wings", but an added vertical tab to mount just the nose of the grill. More pictures for that too.
    Making a car simpler sure is complicated.

Leave a comment:

• sals54
    replied
    Yeah, I know. But I gotta do it my way. I’ll run it both ways depending on my mood,I guess.

Leave a comment:

• t walgamuth
    replied
    It is hard to go wrong with the stock look, imho.

Leave a comment:

• sals54
    replied
    New support brackets for the front sheet metal are getting fabbed.
    With the new front suspension in place, the existing cross member which holds the front fenders, (and basically holds the entire front sheet metal together, ugh.) will no longer do that job. I'm trying to create a new method of hanging the front sheet metal.
    I want a means by which it allows me to run the car with or without the front fenders in place. I'm very close to achieving this, but it will take at least two steps to finish it. I'm on my way to the fab shop tomorrow. I will have them make the brackets which I mocked up in the garage. The fender support for the 37 is like a saddle, bolted in the center. It then flares out to the sides with horizontal panels which allow the fenders to rest on them, bolted down. The fenders then have two holes in which the front grill, (way too heavy), mounts. There are a couple other points in which the front grill is supported, but it hangs primarily on the fenders. The threaded rods back to the firewall complete the triangulation, but it is a terrible design.
    I'm not claiming mine will be a terrific improvement, but it will, at least, give me some latitude in how the car looks in whichever iteration I want to run it, fenders or not.
    Pictures as they come available.

Leave a comment:

• sals54
    replied
    Very similar to the Impala. Its a Ford F100 from 67ish truck. I was pleasantly surprised at how well it fit. Can't see the odometer, but who cares about that? I think I'll use that window as a turn signal indicator.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X