No announcement yet.

A Little Progress on the 37 Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been working on some stealth items, but today my speedometer came in the mail. I've used the Lark switches, some old SW gages and a speedo from a F100. I think there's about $40 spent on the whole thing so far. I'm waiting for my oil press gauge to show up. So far... I like it.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5260.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	1728723
    I know... it's not for everybody... just for me.
    Last edited by sals54; 07-08-2019, 08:20 PM.
    sals54

Comment

And, I almost forgot... I had to put all the sheet metal on it to ensure that I got the nose located properly. While I had it all together, I took a picture of it. Here it is pretty much put together for fit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5215.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	1728725
      But as I was looking at it, and loving it, I knew that it did not look right. So I tried my hand at some faux patina.

Name:	IMG_5233.jpg
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	1728726
      This is my first try at this "art", so try not to be too brutal on me. I fogged it with a little black, then a couple different "rust" colors here and there, then fogged again with white to dull it down, leaving some of the primer showing through.
      I gotta tell ya. I'm loving those fenders. Oh how one idea leads to another. I don't know fer sher where this is gonna end up.
      sals54

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
        I've been working on some stealth items, but today my speedometer came in the mail. I've used the Lark switches, some old SW gages and a speedo from a F100. I think there's about $40 spent on the whole thing so far. I'm waiting for my oil press gauge to show up. So far... I like it.[ATTACH=CONFIG]82389[/ATTACH]
        I love the fact you’re using the original bezel! Just so, so sad when I look in a vintage car and see the original dash replaced with a slab of aluminum with some random round gauges in it. This is the way to do it!
        1950 Commander Land Cruiser
        1951 Champion Business Coupe
        1951 Commander Starlight
        1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
        1953 Champion Starlight
        1953 Commander Starliner
        1953 2R5
        1956 Golden Hawk Jet Streak
        1957 Silver Hawk
        1957 3E5 Pick-Up
        1959 Silver Hawk
        1961 Hawk
        1962 Cruiser 4 speed
        1963 Daytona Convertible
        1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
        1965 Cruiser
        1970 Avanti

Comment

Absolutely spot on!!! The dash only compliments one of the best looking 30's sedans available. The faux patina looks pretty good but the good thing about that finish is if you don't like it, spray on more paint and sand until you like it.

Personally, I'd probably do the car very much like you are.

Bob

Comment

When I see the pictures, I am 100% jealous. I already have too many projects, but if I see a 37 pop up for sale in the project price range, I'm jumping on it. By the way, my vote is rear fenders on, but sure it looks cool either way. The gauges look great, and for a great price.

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
              I've been working on some stealth items, but today my speedometer came in the mail. I've used the Lark switches, some old SW gages and a speedo from a F100. I think there's about $40 spent on the whole thing so far. I'm waiting for my oil press gauge to show up. So far... I like it.[ATTACH=CONFIG]82389[/ATTACH]

'61 Impala speedo? Project looks great! I like sleepers too.

Comment

Very similar to the Impala. Its a Ford F100 from 67ish truck. I was pleasantly surprised at how well it fit. Can't see the odometer, but who cares about that? I think I'll use that window as a turn signal indicator.
                sals54

Comment

New support brackets for the front sheet metal are getting fabbed.
                  With the new front suspension in place, the existing cross member which holds the front fenders, (and basically holds the entire front sheet metal together, ugh.) will no longer do that job. I'm trying to create a new method of hanging the front sheet metal.
                  I want a means by which it allows me to run the car with or without the front fenders in place. I'm very close to achieving this, but it will take at least two steps to finish it. I'm on my way to the fab shop tomorrow. I will have them make the brackets which I mocked up in the garage. The fender support for the 37 is like a saddle, bolted in the center. It then flares out to the sides with horizontal panels which allow the fenders to rest on them, bolted down. The fenders then have two holes in which the front grill, (way too heavy), mounts. There are a couple other points in which the front grill is supported, but it hangs primarily on the fenders. The threaded rods back to the firewall complete the triangulation, but it is a terrible design.
                  I'm not claiming mine will be a terrific improvement, but it will, at least, give me some latitude in how the car looks in whichever iteration I want to run it, fenders or not.
                  Pictures as they come available.
                  sals54

Comment

It is hard to go wrong with the stock look, imho.
                    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Yeah, I know. But I gotta do it my way. I’ll run it both ways depending on my mood,I guess.
                      sals54

Comment

I got the brackets for the front sheet metal done today. I'll take them off tomorrow for painting and post pictures. It looks like they will do the trick nicely. Very stout. 3/16 steel plate bent and welded to shape. Bolted to the frame horns for support.
                        These are for the fenders to mount. I had to make these first cuz I needed to know that they would support the front end with everything in its proper place on X Y and Z axis.
                        Next is to make another set, but this time without the horizontal "wings", but an added vertical tab to mount just the nose of the grill. More pictures for that too.
                        Making a car simpler sure is complicated.
                        sals54

Comment

I like it! Looking at the firewall pix in posts 7 and 10, I see you installed a brake combination valve under the tandem MC. I was at the annual Street Rod National in Louisville a few days ago, and noticed all the kool kids are now running those combo valves. I am still trying to figure out how to mount one on a Hawk, and driven by determination. LOL

Looking forward to seeing pix when you get'er on the road.

Comment

Here are the brackets I made up for the fender mounts. The long end bolts to the frame horns. As you can see, my scientific methodology caused me to redrill a couple of the holes before I got all the way done. Those two interfered with the welds on the cross member. The 45* angle allows for the top corner to miss the body work of the fender. Its 3/16" steel plate. The corners were slotted, not cut all the way through, then bent into the correct angle, then welded. I drilled everything to fit, instead of relying on the holes to be properly aligned from scratch. That is, of course, how I missed the location of the two inside mounts. Anyhoo. I bolted them all up and it's very solid as I had hoped. Last step on this stage is to be sure the nose of the grill has a solid mount to the frame horns as well. That is the only part which seems to want to move around anymore.

Name:	IMG_5340.jpg
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	1729120Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5341.jpg
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	1729121Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5342.jpg
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	1729119
                            Next is to make a new set of brackets very similar to these. Instead of the horizontal part which carries the fenders, that part will bend upwards, vertical to carry only the mounting bolts of the nose of the grill. All else will remain the same.
                            So I'll be interchanging the brackets depending on which iteration I'll be running. Fenders or no fenders.
                            sals54

Comment

Looking good! A lot of work that will be worth it in the end.

Couple years back I did a double-take while driving out of Frankfort, KY, and turned around to snap some photos of the car below. Talked to the owner and he said he bought the it from the original owner in the early 2000s. He loved the body style so much, he did not want the guy building it to do anything with it. They pulled all the running gear and installed a complete set up from an early 2000s firebird or something similar to that. It will go to his oldest grandson because he found out it is the most expensive antique car in grandpa's collection.

Comment

Wow... that one is gorgeous. Sadly, mine will not look quite like that when it's "done". Not my style. Someone else down the line will have to do that part of it. But, like him, I'm not ravaging any part of the car which can not be put back together.
                                I wonder if those headlights are a little cross-eyed? Mine are doing the same thing and I'm not sure I can get them to move out any further.
                                sals54

Comment

Working...
                                X