Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I might just have another Studebaker!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I might just have another Studebaker!

    Well, if anyone on here knows about that black '63 Cruiser with the burgundy cloth brocade interior recently offered for sale on Facebook, you would know just how tasty that one really is. Given how I am related to Satan, I showed it to my father who became convinced that we just had to have it. Stay tuned for more juicy information!
    Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

    1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

  • #2
    Lucky for you to have a father who actually encourages your love of old cars. Go for it, I say!
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

    17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

    Comment


    • #3
      My dad, who was in no way a car guy, bought a 52 Land Cruiser that I showed him in Turning Wheels. He attended a few local things, but never caught the bug, He kept it for a few years and then sold it. I hope your story will be more exciting.
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

      Comment


      • #4
        Good for you and your Dad, Jake!

        Just make sure before paying full price, that it is as nice underneath as it is on top!
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

        Comment


        • #5
          Related to Satan -

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

            Just make sure before paying full price, that it is as nice underneath as it is on top!
            Oh yeah! I learned that after Daisy-Mae had me over a barrel, so I'll be real cautious this time around.
            Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

            1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

            Comment


            • #7
              I'm glad you're "a bit European" in your Studebaker thinking; it seems most(?) guys in the US look at Studebaker as cheap low budget stuff, here in Europe Studebaker always has been considered special & chared image with Cadillac, Buick, Chrysler, Mercury & other more expensive cars, even the Champion sedans.
              & as for Hawks & Avantis; they sure wiped most of the rest out!
              Just felt like let'n ya know...
              sigpic

              Josephine
              -55
              Champion V8
              4d sedan

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Noxnabaker View Post
                I'm glad you're "a bit European" in your Studebaker thinking; it seems most(?) guys in the US look at Studebaker as cheap low budget stuff, here in Europe Studebaker always has been considered special & chared image with Cadillac, Buick, Chrysler, Mercury & other more expensive cars, even the Champion sedans.
                & as for Hawks & Avantis; they sure wiped most of the rest out!
                Just felt like let'n ya know...
                To be honest, I think that is more in part to my understanding of the history of Studebaker more than anything else. They were never cheap (or cheaply made) cars at any point! I also hate the stereotype we in the U.S. seem to have as ignorant, uncultured buffoons in Europe. Hopefully my actions on this forum do not line up with that unfortunate tendency.
                Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

                1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Stude Shoo-wop! View Post
                  To be honest, I think that is more in part to my understanding of the history of Studebaker more than anything else. They were never cheap (or cheaply made) cars at any point! I also hate the stereotype we in the U.S. seem to have as ignorant, uncultured buffoons in Europe. Hopefully my actions on this forum do not line up with that unfortunate tendency.
                  A good forty years ago, I had a customer who escaped from Holland with his wife and young daughter during the second world war, and moved to Canada. His father bought a 1939 Champion brand new, and clearly stated in Europe, Studebaker was not an inexpensive car, even though they were advertised as being 'economical' to drive.

                  The same can be said here in North America of Mercedes Benz. Their quality and higher price gives them the perception of being a higher-end luxury car, but in Europe, they are commonly used as taxis.

                  Craig

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Yep, Mercedes I've had 8 all together, stopped long ago cuz they're the worst to work on, I know many like them & they can keep them...
                    sigpic

                    Josephine
                    -55
                    Champion V8
                    4d sedan

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I heard a story a long time ago that when Studebaker became the U.S. distributor of Mercedes-Benz the build quality of the low end Mercedes cars led Studebaker sending people to Germany to help improve the build quality of what came off the assembly lines there. Is this correct?
                      Joe Roberts
                      '61 R1 Champ
                      '65 Cruiser
                      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
                        I heard a story a long time ago that when Studebaker became the U.S. distributor of Mercedes-Benz the build quality of the low end Mercedes cars led Studebaker sending people to Germany to help improve the build quality of what came off the assembly lines there. Is this correct?
                        It wasn't so much the lack of build quality as they weren't built for our climate; the extreme heat in Arizona and the extreme cold in the northern areas. Although I do remember some of the plastics such as dashboard knobs disintegrating and crumbling as it aged.

                        Craig

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X