Electrical wiring problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical wiring problem

It is a nice sunny day here and since I had just gotten the power steering fixed on the Hawk, we took it out for a drive. We went to the local UPS store and parked in their very tight parking lot. When we came out and I started the car the wife immediately started yelling "FIRE" and grabbed up the fire extinguisher. She jumped out of the car but I worked too hard on the Hawk to let it go up in flames. I looked under the dash and was able to locate the smoking wire and moved it away from the grounding metal. Disconnected battery and called AAA. Difficult getting the car out but they succeed.

Now I am on the hunt for someone that will work on old car wiring. If anyone knows of someone in the Puget Sound area please let me know.

Don
    Don Watson
    61 Hawk

If it raised serious damage under the dash make sure to file an insurance claim. I had a lot of smoke but no fire in my Avanti a few years back while heading for a Zone Meet in St. Louis. It took a while but my insurance paid for all but the voltage regulator that started the fire. A new front harness and labor was not cheap.

Comment

Good point. I have Hagerty so I will like into whether they will cover it. Thanks
      Don Watson
      61 Hawk

Comment

I installed fusible link wire in the main wire coming off of the solenoid feeding the electrical system to protect the wiring harness in case of a short in my cars. I have also installed them on most of the older cars that I service as a precaution. Bud

Comment

Working...
        X