1959 Silver Hawk Phoenix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1959 Silver Hawk Phoenix

And you thought only Pontiac marketed a Phoenix!

Well, almost 50 years ago, friend Phil Brandt and I were trying to kill (or at least maim) ourselves "restoring" his 1959 Silver Hawk. (Click to enlarge):

Yours Truly, circa age 26:

Click image for larger version

Name:	bobeng59hawk.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	1760492

Phil Brandt, ditto (we were born only one day apart):

Name:	PB & Hawk 72.jpg
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	1760493

Phil ultimately traded the car toward a 1980 Pontiac Trans Am custom convertible (not a factory-built convertible, but one that had been customized). He then lost track of the car for decades.

It sufaced in the hands of a new owner (Ward Morrill; 'tailfin" hear on the forum) in the southwest, not much worse for wear and still OK. It was then stolen and disappeared into Mexico as a stolen car. Somehow, the then owner was able to find it in Mexico, partially dismanteld with some major parts missing due to a collision and mechanical damage from its ordeal down there. He was able to get it back.

It was repatriated to the United States and again restored. Ward has corresponded with Phil since that time and this year's (2019) report is that it has won two first-place trophies so far this year!

Name:	phils59hawkone.jpg
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	1760494

Name:	phils59hawktwo.jpg
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	1760495

Name:	phils59hawkthree.jpg
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	1760496

Considering that this was a fairly normally-rusty (but not terrible) 1959 Hawk in the late 1960s / early 1970s, I'd say it's now a Hawk Phoenix! If I didn't see it, I wouldn't believe it. (Yes, I posted an earlier thread about this car's resurrection, so this is a current update.) BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 05-09-2019, 12:53 PM.
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Yes, thanks for the update!! http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ot-Story-(pics!)

Craig

Comment

Working...
    X