2019 Engine Master's Challenge - Studebaker Power Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
    That is a gorgeous engine! Very impressive. Thanks for letting us be part of the project through this thread.
    Out of curiosity, I don't see an oil filler or breather. Is a 61 style aluminum fill tube on the front out of sight?
    james r pepper

Comment

Originally posted by jpepper View Post
      Out of curiosity, I don't see an oil filler or breather. Is a 61 style aluminum fill tube on the front out of sight?
      It looks to me, like there's provisions for, standard R series, breather/filler caps on the valve covers?

Mark
      sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

Yep, rocker covers with big holes in them.

Mike

Comment

Some of the competitors engines have a lot of breathers all over the place.
          No pollution issues in a dyno cell.
          But.. The engine is in the mock up stage right now.
          Hanging the peripheral stuff on it now.
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

9/10/2019 update:

(cross posted from the Racing Studebakers! forum)

http://www.racingstudebakers.com/foo...=3465&start=90

Awaiting a couple of small ignition parts, and it will be time to fire the engine.
            "Digger Dave" has the race fuel, and is going to fire it up in his shop and do the basic warm up and re-torque.
            After he is satisfied with that, it is off to the dyno for final tuning.
            Clock is running fast!

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

It is ALIVE!!!!!

"Digger Dave" started the engine up.
              Ran perfect.
              Dave said he even had the initial timing dead nuts on (by hand).

Put heat in it. Checked for leaks.
              No video. Just one excited engine builder!

After re-torquing all the bolts and checking the lash...
              The engine goes to the dyno shop for final tuning.

Jeff

Comment

AWESOME!!!

Thanks for all you guys do for the Studebaker community. Stuff like this really excites me and makes me love Studes even more
                1961 Lark Regal VIII 259/auto -- Lucy

Comment

Great! I can't wait to see how this engine fares in the competition coming up.
                  Joe Roberts
                  '61 R1 Champ
                  '65 Cruiser
                  Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
                    Great! I can't wait to see how this engine fares in the competition coming up.
                    That is the $64 question!
                    Our effort last year was not successful, as we had technical difficulties and could not complete the dyno run(s).
                    But it was our 'freshman' year, and we made a lot of rookie mistakes.
                    Since Stude types are stubborn ("We'd Rather Fix Than Switch!"), we redoubled our efforts, dove into the rule book, and vowed to have a better performance experience in 2019.
                    The changes in the rules for 2019 actually helped our cause.
                    Several of the event promoters and organizers watched our efforts (and struggles) and commented that what we were doing was more in the 'spirit' of what they thought the Engine Masters Challenge was supposed to be all about. My opinion was that the top teams had gone way 'over the top' with their engine development and that had driven up the cost to a point where the competitors were not returning to try and compete.
                    So the rules were changed for the 'Old Iron' class (the former 'Vintage' class). Cast iron heads, OE rockers, stock crank throws (no stroker cranks), max .065" overbore (from OE claimed displacement spec's), and a few other things that limit the high dollar high tech components.

https://st.hotrod.com/uploads/sites/21/2016/06/EMC_General-Rules_2019.pdf

The Studebaker Power Team quest was/is simple. Build the best naturally aspirated engine within the rules.
                    The scoring system used takes into account the claimed displacement and applies a multiplier to come up with a 'score' that is the goal we are shooting for.
                    So a smaller displacement engine is not at a disadvantage (on paper) as compared to a larger displacement.
                    And that is what is driving us! We want to go and give the 'Big 3' and the other odd ducks a real run for their money!
                    Our engine is complete. Our engine is running. It is going onto the BES engine dyno for final tuning.
                    The Studebaker Power team Studebaker V8 engine was built by 'Digger Dave' Molnar using the best parts we could get.
                    We have enlisted some help from many avid Studebaker enthusiasts, suppliers, and donors. Our donors have been a superb help.
                    If anyone wants to help this little underdog team compete at a high level, just contact me via a PM. We graciously accept donations via PayPal.
                    It is not an inexpensive program to delve into. Parts, shipping, transportation, hotels, food, uniforms..
                    (Just wait until you see the way cool professional Studebaker Power Team shirts... We have to look good when we get our pictures in Hot Rod Magazine!)
                    We will be on-site two weeks from Sunday, getting checked in, inspected and approved, and loaded onto the dyno cart.
                    Our scheduled dyno run competition time is early Monday morning, September 30th.
                    The event is going to be streamed LIVE on the Internet (through a Hot Rod Magazine link).
                    I will be doing Facebook live sessions from time to time, and taking a gabazillion pictures (pretty much all I am good for)..
                    Enough rambling.. In two weeks it will be time to put up or shut up.
                    And we want the world to see what a Studebaker V8 engine can really do!

Follow us here, and at:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2368...?ref=bookmarks

and

http://www.racingstudebakers.com/foo...php?f=9&t=3465

Jeff

Jeff

Comment

Jeff: Just got this message when I tried to PM you:
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	Error.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	1802435

Comment

Originally posted by ndynis View Post
                        Jeff: Just got this message when I tried to PM you:
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	Error.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	1802435
                        The new software sent me to clean my room.
                        It told me to not come out until the room is clean, even it means no supper.
                        So... My room is now cleaned up.. (inbox/archive/deleted)..

Send away, sir!

Jeff

Comment

Update 9/19/2019 (teaser pic)
                          Finalized and authorized the artwork for the Studebaker Power Team competitors shirts this afternoon...
                          Really like the shirt back artwork ..
                          Here's a teaser pic of the shirt back....(prototype copy)
                          (note) [i]We'll be keeping the shirt back artwork for the tee shirts later on after the event...

Jeff

Comment

(9/19/2019 Update)
                            I am adding something powerful to the Studebaker Power Team shirts that will be added after I get the shirts.
                            Yeah, it's an iron on... But it will be on the LH sleeve by the shoulder.
                            Military uniform regulation says the stars should always face forward.

Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 09-20-2019, 11:10 AM.

Jeff

Comment

are you selling shirts to help support the cause?
                              Ron Dame
                              '63 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post
                                are you selling shirts to help support the cause?
                                The answer is yes...
                                We will be selling tee shirts, which are in the design process now.
                                Spending all of our quality time right now getting ready for the event (10 days to go!).
                                Will be offering tee shirts up as soon as possible.
                                Not a money making scheme, but more an enthusiasm tool.
                                (OK... A CASO money making scheme <lol>)...

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                                X