Wrecked my '53 Starliner today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrecked my '53 Starliner today

Knocked a book off a shelf and nearly totaled the poor thing. I think a couple drops of glue and it'll be good as new.

Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Lesson...always park your '53 above the books!
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

What shape is the book in that hit it?

Craig

Comment

Oh, good! I thought you actually wrecked a full-size '53 coupe. If that were the case, I would be prepared for Loewy's ghost to come back with a vengeance!

Anyway, I'm glad to see that the damage to your lovely model was minor. May it continue to be an interesting curiosity!
        Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

That will buff out

Comment

You should probably be shot at sunrise.....
            Lou Van Anne
            62 Champ
            64 R2 GT Hawk
            79 Avanti II

Comment

So many times a small accident becomes the start of a full blown restoration. Might be time to pull the body off the frame and get with it.
              I had a couple paint chips on a 57 T-Bird to fix. 3 Months later is was ready to shoot the final color onto it. One thing just led to another.....and what good is new paint without fresh chrome?
              sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
              1950 Champion Convertible
              1950 Champion 4Dr
              1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
              1957 Thunderbird

Comment

You just sparked a bad memory for me. I think it was 6th grade when I brought home a bad report card. My dad was pretty mad as it wasn't the first time, (nor would it be the last). I was in my room tinkering with something or another when he came in verbalizing his distaste for my laziness. Then he spotted my models parked on my dresser. I guess to drive the point home, or something, he took his fist and, one by one, smashed each of my models. The 53 Starliner, the P51 Mustang and the Stuka dive bomber. All crushed to tiny little pieces.
                It's funny cuz I built that Stude model several times through the years, then when I was in High School I found a 54 Coupe sitting in a guys front yard in my small home town. He sold it to me for $50. I love the fact that I still have it and that I still think the 53 Studes were and are the very best looking cars ever made.
                sals54

Comment

I thought the same as Jake, & I reckon you found a good catching headline making us thinking "OH NOOO!!!"...
                  sigpic

Josephine
                  Champion V8
                  4d sedan

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                    I guess to drive the point home, or something, he took his fist and, one by one, smashed each of my models.
                    That's strange. Unless they were gifts from someone else, your dad would have been the one who paid for them in the first place. Even though you may have saved up and bought them with your allowance, he obviously forgot where your allowance came from!!

I remember having things taken away for a period of time until I got what I was supposed to be doing done, but never had anything destroyed like that.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Noxnabaker View Post
                      I thought the same as Jake, & I reckon you found a good catching headline making us thinking "OH NOOO!!!"...
                      I think it's called 'Click bait'. <G>
                      Jerry Forrester
                      Forrester's Chrome
                      Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                        You just sparked a bad memory for me. I think it was 6th grade when I brought home a bad report card. My dad was pretty mad as it wasn't the first time, (nor would it be the last). I was in my room tinkering with something or another when he came in verbalizing his distaste for my laziness. Then he spotted my models parked on my dresser. I guess to drive the point home, or something, he took his fist and, one by one, smashed each of my models. The 53 Starliner, the P51 Mustang and the Stuka dive bomber. All crushed to tiny little pieces.
                        It's funny cuz I built that Stude model several times through the years, then when I was in High School I found a 54 Coupe sitting in a guys front yard in my small home town. He sold it to me for $50. I love the fact that I still have it and that I still think the 53 Studes were and are the very best looking cars ever made.
                        You guys are lucky to have had toys when you were young. All I had was a stick and a clod of dirt that I would roll around the yard. Then it rained. The clod melted and the stick floated away. I was heart broken. Papa didn't have any pity. He just said "You shouldn't have left the damn things out in the yard".
                        Jerry Forrester
                        Forrester's Chrome
                        Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
                          You guys are lucky to have had toys when you were young. All I had was a stick and a clod of dirt that I would roll around the yard. Then it rained. The clod melted and the stick floated away. I was heart broken. Papa didn't have any pity. He just said "You shouldn't have left the damn things out in the yard".
                          And what would he have said if you brought it in the house??!?

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                            And what would he have said if you brought it in the house??!?

Craig
                            Nothing. If I had brought it into the house it would have probably met the same fate as my previous clod. My brother stepped on it and all the dirt just fell through the cracks in the floor.
                            Someone asked one time why us Southerners wear our shoes inside the house. I told him "To keep our socks from getting dirty.
                            Jerry Forrester
                            Forrester's Chrome
                            Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
                              Nothing. If I had brought it into the house it would have probably met the same fate as my previous clod. My brother stepped on it and all the dirt just fell through the cracks in the floor.
                              Someone asked one time why us Southerners wear our shoes inside the house. I told him "To keep our socks from getting dirty.
                              That sounds like my Aunt's house! One NEVER took their shoes off when they entered her house, either. A great-uncle once said, "When you got up to leave, the chair came with you!", and on another occasion, a friend of the family said, "You can really EAT OFF THE FLOOR at Donna's house!!" Amazingly, the house is still standing, even though she's been gone for years.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X