• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What size trailer for a Lark?

I need to retrieve a 60 lark covert from the mid west
    Unable to get someone to measure for me
    What size enclosed trailer do I need?

The published overall length is 175 inches, so less than 15 feet.
    Most any car trailer will be longer than that. And it will need to be a double axle trailer.

Comment

Thanks
      Guessing 8 ft wide should work

Comment

Originally posted by Buttercup View Post
        Thanks
        Guessing 8 ft wide should work
        Yep standard width will work
        Charles

1961 Lark Regal VIII 259/auto -- Lucy

Comment

You may want to know that the basic weight (plus options, etc.) is 2981 lbs. for a six and 3315 for a V8.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Have you considered having it shipped commercially? It will likely cost you less when you figure everything in.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
              Have you considered having it shipped commercially? It will likely cost you less when you figure everything in.
              Gary is correct, it will be much cheaper.

Of course, that does not factor in if you’re just looking for an excuse for a road trip. That’s what I usually do :-)
              Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
              Romans 15:13
              Deuteronomy 31:6
              Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

I need to retrieve a 60 lark covert from the mid west
                Unable to get someone to measure for me
                What size enclosed trailer do I need?
                The word in RED above has my interest? I'm wondering why no one has mentioned it as of yet?...Gotta be more to this story???
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Buttercup, I've rewritten the title of this thread for better identification and so that it will be findable by other members in the future.
                  Everyone, please - remember to make your post titles descriptive. We don't charge by the word around here

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Because it is a convertible I have beed told most shipping companies won’t haul a convertible on a open trailer
                    So quoted 1500 and up
                    Sadly my dad needs to hang up his keys so I have inherited this car so going to be emotional just don’t want some truck pulling up and taking car
                    Been in family for as long as I can remember (I am 65) have pics of me in this car as a child car is damm near perfect 1960 lark I will post pics when I figure this out not very pc savy

Comment

Oops I 56 lol

Comment

Sorry to hear that your father is no longer able to drive. It is certainly understandable, that after having the car for so many years, it would be hard to see it leaving. As already mentioned, any standard enclosed car trailer will fit the Lark. Are you planning on renting a trailer, or finding one to purchase? If you haven't done a lot of towing, be sure to read up on tow vehicles, trailers, brakes, proper tie downs, etc. It's a sad day for your father to give up his car, but he has made the choice to keep it in the family, and I hope that you care for it as well as he did. Good Luck!

Comment

I am a professional truck driver so no worries there as far a trailer I have several trailers available to use just need to choose the one that fits the purpose would really suck to drive 5 states away and find out car doesn’t fit (dad would have last laugh lol)

Comment

Glad to hear that you have experience. It always worries me, that people will have the need to do some towing, but head out, not knowing what they are getting in to. Once again, I hope everything turns out well.

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                              The word in RED above has my interest? I'm wondering why no one has mentioned it as of yet?...Gotta be more to this story???
                              Because it is a convertible I have beed told most shipping companies won’t haul a convertible on a open trailer
                              So quoted 1500 and up
                              Sadly my dad needs to hang up his keys so I have inherited this car so going to be emotional just don’t want some truck pulling up and taking car
                              Been in family for as long as I can remember (I am 65) have pics of me in this car as a child car is damm near perfect 1960 lark I will post pics when I figure this out not very pc savy
                              OH!...Now I get it!...I wasn't thinking convertible at all. But, I know we've had some family ownership disputes over cars in the past, so I was wondering if this was one of those situations where you were going to have to "sneak up" and haul the car away. I'm sorry about your father's reason to relinquish the car, but it sounds like you will do him proud.
                              John Clary
                              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                              X