GT interior door trim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GT interior door trim

I'm needing a set of the wide "chrome" trim behind the armrests for a 1962 GT Hawk. I have a set of the narrow stainless steel strips.

This this a metal or a metallic fabric/vinyl?
    Is it being reproduced?
    I can't find it on any of the parts vendor's websites - so if available, where can it be purchased?

Thanks for your assistance with this inquiry.
    Barry

Originally posted by bmaxwell1956 View Post
    I'm needing a set of the wide "chrome" trim behind the armrests for a 1962 GT Hawk. I have a set of the narrow stainless steel strips.

Is it being reproduced?
    I can't find it on any of the parts vendor's websites - so if available, where can it be purchased?

Barry

Hi Barry, SMS in Oregon has the material, but Carl from Studebaker West told me it's very poor material. From what he told me, it wears very quickly and tears easily. I have the same need as you for my '62 Hawk. Good luck.

Comment

On my '62 it's a metal panel.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	20150430_130032.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	1727931The picture was right side up in my file. Only flips on this site.
      sigpic

Comment

Pretty sure it is Aluminum, It gets 'white' from corrosion, scratches and dents really easy. I can look at what we might have. Condition is everything. Did you want 'any' condition, near 'good' or NOS? Rare panels in any case.

Comment

If your not looking to stay factory correct. Take a thin piece of aluminum and build the strip, prime it and have a burl wood hydro graphics put on it. Will look much nicer.

Comment

I am not going for a show car, just a nice driver. I found a source for thin engine-turned stainless steel and aluminum (leaning towards the SS since it is more durable). What is the height of the factory pieces?

Comment

If you have the door cards handy measure molding to molding. Those strips run from under one to the other.

Comment

The door cards are destroyed, so I only have the stainless strips and arm rests.
                If anyone would be so kind to measure the height of their insert, I would greatly appreciate it since I am meeting with my upholster later this week.
                Last edited by bmaxwell1956; 05-07-2019, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Barry, what color vinyl is your interior? NOS door panels might be obtainable.

Comment

1962 GT Door Trim

Originally posted by bmaxwell1956 View Post

Is it being reproduced?

Barry
                    My 1962 GT has thin aluminum panels with small black dots printed on them. It's 4" wide from center-to-center of the horizontal moldings.

Attached Files
                    Last edited by 56GH; 05-06-2019, 05:04 PM. Reason: Photo
                    Bill L.
                    1962 GT Hawk

Comment

I want it white vinyl with a light gray dash and carpet. With white paint on the outside, I'm going for an elegant look, but not necessarily practical when it comes to staying clean. :-)
                      I think the guys who posted earlier confirmed my suspicion: originals are fragile, hard to find, and expensive, so custom stainless pieces are in order.
                      The dash face was also badly damaged, so I already have a quote to have custom engine turned stainless dash overlays made, so matching door trim will be in order. Loved the engine turned look on my two restored (trailer queens) Golden Hawks, so I'll bring it to this new "driver" project.
                      Last edited by bmaxwell1956; 05-07-2019, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Thank you Bill for taking the time to measure yours and respond to my request. I suspected it was four inches, but it is great to have that confirmed.
                        Thank you to everyone else who responded above to my request. Your knowledge and thoughtfulness is appreciated!!

Comment

A pair of door panel inserts for a 1963 GT Hawk was listed on eBay about 2 hours ago. Not perfect, but possibly usable. eBay item 303147070167 or copy the link. They are located in Washington.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Studebaker-Hawk-Door-Panel-Insert-1963-Gran-Turismo-Hawk-Interior-Parts/303147070167?hash=item4694f932d7:g:KKYAAOSwXSpc0ksA&vxp=mtr
                          Perry
                          \'50 Business Champion
                          \'50 Starlight Champion
                          \'60 Lark Convertible,
                          \'63 GT R1,
                          \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

Currently on ebay

Comment

Working...
                            X