Cool 1953 Starliner Pick of the Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ddub View Post
    Stude power would make it more appealing to the 10,000 or so Studebaker faithful out there but for the rest of the world they would rather have an engine they've heard of before. Either way I would be proud to have it in my driveway.
    Yes and no, Don, as to "the rest of the world." Some of them true, but not all of them by any means.

As to an engine's attractiveness, a good barometer is to notice the number of people taking photos of R2 and R3 engines at The Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race. If the hoods are open, you can be sure most passers-by with a camera of some sort will stop and take a picture. We've been making that observation now for 21 continuous years.

Per Jeff: Holding back this type of information and communication to keep it 'in the clique' can be a big limiting factor. Gosh, Jeff; I don't see how we could be more intensely promoting the mark outside regular Studebaker circles. Have you attended The Muscle Car & Corvette Nationals in Rosemont IL every weekend before Thanksgiving for the past 5-odd years? Ed George and team have done an outstanding job promoting Studebaker performance to the masses, and it is noted. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I joined the Studebaker club to get away from the bowtie bellybutton mindset. However, it's true I was proud of my '66 Wagonaire - but it came with that engine from the factory. I would NEVER put a bowtie motor under the hood of any other Studebaker by choice - but I would gladly embrace a Ford, Chrysler, or even a Jag or Ferrari motor if I had the chance. Just my opinion. I'll always be proud of South Bend iron - stock, or not.
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Engine choice,I'll bet, is more background than anything. I grew up in GM country, SBC's were there, plentiful, easy to swap and cheap to build. While I've grown very fond of Studebaker's and Avanti's my first inclination is to dump a Chevy engine in them because I understand them better than any other brand and I can trouble shoot 'em. I also know the newer iterations of them are much the same so while the sight of a paxson on an engine will stop a fair amount of folks I'll stick to what I know.

The folks at the PSMC drags, are car nuts by definition so anything unusual and interesting will cause them to stop and take notice but they will keep building/racing what they have in their background. In no way am I taking a shot at the Stude guys that race there as they have my upmost admiration for getting the performance and longevity out of the Stude's that they race.

I think Studebaker's of the early 50's and Avanti's are some the the best looking cars ever designed but I'm to old/lazy to learn their engine idiosyncrasies when I already have a knowledge base.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
          Pretty cool 1953 Starliner Pick of the Day here.

At the risk of stirring up the usual hornet's nest,
          Go for it, you Dare Devil.
          I'm imagining how much cooler it would be if they had spent the $13,000 on a genuine Studebaker R3 clone engine for it...and it's not clear whether the cited $13,000 includes the "$8,000 worth of add-ons," which would bring it to $21,000 for the engine alone!

Regardless, with either $13,000 or $21,000 having been spent on an R3 clone, or even an R2, it would be cooler yet. (Your opinion may vary,
          Not at all, Bob.
          today which you are entitled, but I'll not apologize for mine...)

'Love the color combination; 'way cool. Nice, nice car:

https://journal.classiccars.com/2019/05/05/cool-custom-53-studebaker-coupe/
          I also, love its stock appearance. It's very difficult to improve on perfection! Although I think, I'd replace the bumperetts with a set of the factory fog light ones.

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
          Totally agree! One of the best to come along in recent years, but for the $130,000 invested, it should be. If they'd just put the $21,000 into a Packard V8, it would have made the same 450 horsepower, but would have been unique.

jack vines
          Although the Packard V8s weren't produced, until '55? It would be cool to install one in a '54. Since that's when they merged? However there is one advantage a bowtie transplant retaines, that must be acknowledged, and is difficult to accomplish as well with either of the above suggested options! That is, front end weight reduction, and whatever possible handling and acceleration benefits, that may provide. I'm not exactly sure, how much difference there is, but I'm sure it's there?

Mark
          Last edited by S2Deluxe; 05-05-2019, 04:58 PM.
          sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

The chevy might be nearly half the weight of the Packard motor, 480 vs what, 775?
            Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
              I have only two nits to pick.
              Bob Golfen should know it's a hardtop, not coupe; and it has wheel covers, not hub caps.
              Drop me the keys anytime.
              C body Starlight coupes and K body Starliner hardtops are commonly grouped together as coupes. For example, refer to page 9 of John Bridges' book on them.
              I too would like to own it, but not at that price.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Why does no one ever post a pic when they link something like this?

Weird color.
                sigpic

Comment

It is unusual but I like it. Actually I have not found a color that does not look wonderful on a stock Starliner.
                  Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                    I too would like to own it, but not at that price.
                    While it may, currently, be a little bit steep for me, as well? I'd certainly prefer it! To a '55 - '57 shoebox, at the same price? I think, it's a value, that could still actually be slightly under, what I've got in my '54 C body, Soo far!

Mark
                    sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
                      It is unusual but I like it. Actually I have not found a color that does not look wonderful on a stock Starliner.
                      Agree. Choice of colors is personal preference. JMHO, but the Starliner looks best in subtle colors. The bright, garish colors are for designs with bad lines.

Having said that, fifty years of driving every Stude in most every color, far and away the most magnetic to the general public is the '55 Speedster in "lemon and lime".

I think, it's a value, that could still actually be slightly under, what I've got in my '54 C body, Soo far! Mark
                      For true, Mark. Take a typical C/K to a professional shop to duplicate this one and the bill is guaranteed to exceed $130,000.

jack vines
                      PackardV8

Comment

All well stated, thanks for the post. Personally my engine preference is always Studebaker but I never did follow the crowd. I find it tough to beat the pure simplicity and overall clean look of Studebaker Genes' motor in his Champ pickup. If I find his pic I'll post it. Now all I'm doing is trying to replicate it with my new motor for my GT.
                        Another very tastefully modified and presented '54 was Alan (?) Johnson's '54 Coupe at SEMA a couple of years back. Google it too.
                        Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
                          All well stated, thanks for the post. Personally my engine preference is always Studebaker but I never did follow the crowd. I find it tough to beat the pure simplicity and overall clean look of Studebaker Genes' motor in his Champ pickup. If I find his pic I'll post it. Now all I'm doing is trying to replicate it with my new motor for my GT.
                          Another very tastefully modified and presented '54 was Alan (?) Johnson's '54 Coupe at SEMA a couple of years back. Google it too.
                          Bill

https://www.good-guys.com/hotnews/19...year-finalist/

jack vines
                          PackardV8

Comment

Compare it to Ed E's 1953 Starliner, with a hemi, that brought $30K at a recent major auction.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Ok, here's more photos of it. I don't see anything, showing the back seat?
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	16186418-1953-studebaker-commander-std.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	1727938Click image for larger version

Name:	16186407-1953-studebaker-commander-std.jpg
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	1727939Click image for larger version

Name:	16186461-1953-studebaker-commander-std.jpg
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	1727941Click image for larger version

Name:	16186408-1953-studebaker-commander-std.jpg
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	1727942

It all appears beautifully done. Although, it looks like it has a '54 - '55 horn button and '55 window cranks? I think, the gas pedal styling looks kind of out of place? I also wonder, what the rear axle and it's ratio is? As well as, how well those stock looking wheels and tires actually hook up, that much power?

Mark
                              Last edited by S2Deluxe; 05-06-2019, 06:15 PM.
                              sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

Originally posted by S2Deluxe View Post
                                how well those stock looking wheels and tires actually hook up, that much power?

Mark
                                Clouds of blue tire smoke.

Comment

Working...
                                X