X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RadioRoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
    Sorry to say I just cringe at the thought of a young woman with a child using a 60 yo car for daily transportation. Structural integrity, brakes, seat belts, padded dash, lack of air bags-recipe for disaster. I can't be convinced that putting brakes on a Studebaker is the solution for sixty years of automotive safety innovation.
    Remember that guy a few years ago who wanted to drive a flock of kids around all winter in Wisconsin in a 55 Champion sedan? We went around and around with him and it's still not clear if that was ever resolved. He just could not seem to grasp the concept of endangering innocent children in the snow, in an obsolete six volt car.

Leave a comment:

• showbizkid
    replied
    Most of us agree that a duel chambered MC is a better choice then a single chambered unit, but it is no substitute for owner diligence.
    Truer words were ne'er spoke.

Leave a comment:

• SScopelli
    replied
    Oddly, this was posted on Craigslist in Chino Hills. The owner noted she just bought the car and the brakes failed shortly after. Now parting it out.

Buying any used car I can't believe folks will not spend a few bucks to get the car checked out mechanically before the final purchase.

Click image for larger version

Name:	00S0S_idMHGztgFbO_600x450.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	1727935

Leave a comment:

• Noxnabaker
    replied
    About brake cylinders failing; for me it was enough with just one of the front ones. No warning.

Leave a comment:

• Hallabutt
    replied
    My opinion, based on experience, has been that a master cylinder virtually always gives plenty of warning before it fails completely. For me the question is the advisability of someone who is uninitiated, driving an old car for regular transportation. Most of us agree that a duel chambered MC is a better choice then a single chambered unit, but it is no substitute for owner diligence. A duel chambered MC is no magic solution to the hidden problems that might lurk in other parts of the braking system. Is it too early to tell if it was even a failed MC that caused the accident? A blown out line or hose is much more apt to have caused a complete brake failure, then is a failing MC.

Leave a comment:

• showbizkid
    replied
    First thing I did after my rebuilt engine was installed was to have the car towed to my local brake expert and have the one-pot MC replaced with a dual circuit system, with all new lines and hoses and cylinders. Stopping is WAY more important than going.

Leave a comment:

• calntvs
    replied
    The car is now for sale as a parts car. Wow, that's a big hit!
    Sounds like she got pretty banged up, but the child car seat did it's job. Glad to hear everyone will recover. Everyone's worst nightmare.
    Ad states seller she bought from was not honest. Maybe true, maybe not, but that's a single pot master cylinder and wheel cylinders of unknown age/condition. First thing to triple check on a new acquisition is brake system...all of it.

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Originally posted by Noxnabaker View Post
    Well Gary, (off topic here) even thou Tjevvi was a dog I reckon he would've spoken if he would have had the same lips & tounge as we have, they (non-dog-owners) say that dogs only understand your way of saying words, & only a few words too, but I tried changeing my tone & say the words in totally different ways & using different words too but he could never be fooled.
    Smartest dog I ever met, not always a good thing...
    & I'm happy if I make faults enough in "your" langue to make you smile!
    I am so glad that you realized that I was coming from a point of humor. From my information on the left of posts, you can see that I am a "dog person".

EDIT: It is my AOAI information that has a dog, not here on SDC. My last dog was a Leonberger.

Leave a comment:

• Mark L
    replied
    Growing up in northern Indiana, I saw that my parents rarely, if ever, set the emergency brakes on their cars, primarily because it was generally flat and the transmission was good enough to hold the car. After completing a driver's education course where we were taught to set the brake after we put the car in park, I attempted to do the same with the family vehicles once I started driving them. The brake cables snapped soon afterward, or were so bound in the guide tubes by rust that the return springs could not bring the pedal back up when released. That's how I learned the importance of exercising the emergency brake through regular use.

Leave a comment:

• jts359
    replied
    I have been a parts vendor for over 35 years and I can not tell you how many times I have recommended to a new Studebaker owner to check his or her brake system. The excuses I have got are Its been garage kept or I have a very hard pedal and it stops great and the list goes on. But instead of brake parts they would rather have a NOS grill or parking light housings. I don't think its the case here but who knows , Ed

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    Originally posted by jclary View Post
    Regardless of the condition of the hydraulic brake components (single/dual MC), the importance of the mechanical safety backup (emergency) brake cannot be overemphasized.
    Agreed!
    Using the parking brake as a matter of habit goes a long way to maintaining its operation. Not exercising that cable is a sure way to have it not available when it's needed.
    Many folks, especially with automatic transmissions, believe it's not necessary under most circumstances, as the transmission is sufficient to hold the vehicle. Well, ...they believe that at their peril; and find out otherwise when it's too late.

Leave a comment:

• Noxnabaker
    replied
    Well Gary, (off topic here) even thou Tjevvi was a dog I reckon he would've spoken if he would have had the same lips & tounge as we have, they (non-dog-owners) say that dogs only understand your way of saying words, & only a few words too, but I tried changeing my tone & say the words in totally different ways & using different words too but he could never be fooled.
    Smartest dog I ever met, not always a good thing...
    & I'm happy if I make faults enough in "your" langue to make you smile!

Leave a comment:

• JRoberts
    replied
    I have Turner disc brakes on the front of my '65 Cruiser. Also have a dual master cylinder. I wouldn't have it any other way (well rear discs might be in its future). The same set up is in the future of my '61 Champ. As many of you know I take the Cruiser on lots of long distance road trips. Some interstate many on winding back roads. The car's brakes give me confidence in the car on these trips. Power Tour comes up soon and the Cruiser will be there, disc brakes and all. Oh, and also three point seat belts. Another up grade that I consider important for such trips as well as around the town trips.

Leave a comment:

• Studelarkrod
    replied
    Sorry to say I just cringe at the thought of a young woman with a child using a 60 yo car for daily transportation. Structural integrity, brakes, seat belts, padded dash, lack of air bags-recipe for disaster. I can't be convinced that putting brakes on a Studebaker is the solution for sixty years of automotive safety innovation.
    Agree, no reason she should have been DDing a car that old.

Leave a comment:

• sals54
    replied
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but looking at the map, it appears that she lives in hill country.
    It would be dicey at best to use a Lark as a daily driver in hill country unless you're well versed in how to drive and maintain a 60 year old car with manual drum brakes.
    God bless her and her child. I hope they are OK. But she should not be blaming the seller. Used cars are ALWAYS a buyer beware sale. Once you get an old car it becomes your responsibility to check it, check it again, maintain it, learn about it and use it with caution.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X