No announcement yet.

Returning to Canada with swap parts???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Returning to Canada with swap parts???

I am making my first trip down to the South Bend swap on Friday and just wondering what the process is when returning back across the border into Ontario with a bunch of well aged gems!! I assume no duty as over 50 years old but do we need to provide some sort of cost spent, or receipt for taxing?

Any advice or experiences from fellow Canuks who have previous experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    1955 Champion Deluxe 2dr.

Just be “ fairly “ honest , I’ve been doing this for 35 years and have never paid any tax on stuff for Studebakers
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

There is no duty applicable. If you were away long enough, and didn't spend too many dollars, the parts may fall under your basic personal exemption. I think it's $800 for seven days away, but have not checked lately. You could go to Canada Customs website. In any case, all you are liable for is the 5% GST, plus any Provincial sales tax that might be applicable. Same as if you had bought the parts in Canada.
      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

https://travel.gc.ca/returning/custo...ons-mini-guide
        Bill Foy
        1000 Islands, Ontario
        1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

I just returned from 4 months away, and when questioned about the value of the goods we were returning with, I simply answered $2715.00.
          The CBA guard handed back our passports and told us to have a nice day. I hope you have similar success.
          Bill

Comment

Have your parts receipt handy and a list of what is purchased, and then I never had a problem, if your honest with them they can tell and they do appreciate it.
            Evan Severson

Comment

Besides... weren't those the parts you took with you to sell.... but are bringing them back home unsold ????? wink wink nod nod.
              sals54

Comment

Parts importing

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                Besides... weren't those the parts you took with you to sell.... but are bringing them back home unsold ????? wink wink nod nod.
                Being honest is the best advice. I hope sals54 comment is tongue in cheek. The ramifications of being caught smuggling are severe here in Canada. Not worth the risk. At minimum, confiscated goods and a fine. At worst add on impoundment of vehicle, add on being barred from entering the Usa.

The basic rule is $800 Canadian after 48 hours in the USA. Approx $600 usd. Tax varies by province. Ontario you pay 13% hst (harmonized sales tax). Tax is collected on the declared or ASSESSED value above your exemption. Border agents have some latitude in enforcement.

Back to sals scenario, if you actually do take parts down, it is wise to stop at cdn customs on your way down with a list of your parts, which will be stamped and then used on your return.

Gee whiz I didn't know is not an acceptable excuse. One last comment, contrary to normal law, you are presumed guilty until you prove innocence.
                Ken MacKenzie
                53 Starliner modified

Comment

Get an accurate receipt for everything you buy. If you absolutely can't get a receipt for something, at least write down what you bought, how much you paid, and where you bought it. Have your receipts and the goods purchased readily available for the Canada Border Service Agency personnel to inspect, and know the total value. Answer their questions honestly and completely. I have crossed the border dozens of times without difficulty. You will be asked if you bought anything in the U.S., and what the total value is. Then, you could be asked to enter the office to provide further information, or if you have exceeded your tax-free limit. Customs officers are well-trained and intelligent professionals, so it is not worth the risk to try fooling them. The vast majority of them are very good to deal with, if you are properly prepared.

Note that if you are importing a car (or any other self-propelled vehicle such as an ATV, snowmobile, ride-on lawnmower, etc.) into Canada you must use a broker, who must send the paperwork to U.S. Customs at least 72 hours before the vehicle leaves the U.S. When importing a vehicle, you must stop at both U.S. and Canadian Customs.
                  Bill Jarvis

Comment

Originally posted by macstude View Post
                    Being honest is the best advice. I hope sals54 comment is tongue in cheek. The ramifications of being caught smuggling are severe here in Canada. Not worth the risk. At minimum, confiscated goods and a fine. At worst add on impoundment of vehicle, add on being barred from entering the Usa.

The basic rule is $800 Canadian after 48 hours in the USA. Approx $600 usd. Tax varies by province. Ontario you pay 13% hst (harmonized sales tax). Tax is collected on the declared or ASSESSED value above your exemption. Border agents have some latitude in enforcement.

Back to sals scenario, if you actually do take parts down, it is wise to stop at cdn customs on your way down with a list of your parts, which will be stamped and then used on your return.

Gee whiz I didn't know is not an acceptable excuse. One last comment, contrary to normal law, you are presumed guilty until you prove innocence.
                    It was intended as tongue in cheek, but cheese Louise... it’s not as though a few car parts are going to crush a national economy. Some rules, laws and customs are too stupid to understand.
                    sals54

Comment

I do not know how it works taking Parts home to Canada, but I do know it worked VERY badly for us taking a Truck Load to Canada to sell at a SDC Meet and then trying to return without a complete inventory list of what went in, to show how much came back, so were charged the Canadian Tax? for the full value of the Parts as though they were Imported to the U.S. Purchased in Canada!
                      Paid the Tax to get back home.
                      We have never returned to Canada for ANY reason since.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                        I do not know how it works taking Parts home to Canada, but I do know it worked VERY badly for us taking a Truck Load to Canada to sell at a SDC Meet and then trying to return without a complete inventory list of what went in, to show how much came back, so were charged the Canadian Tax? for the full value of the Parts as though they were Imported to the U.S. Purchased in Canada!
                        Paid the Tax to get back home.
                        We have never returned to Canada for ANY reason since.
                        Yup. There are some towns and cities near me which have ultra strict traffic laws. I keep my dollars in my pocket to spend elsewhere. I avoid those places cuz I can’t afford a mishap. Or an oops. Or a California stop, (which is rolling through a stop sign) for all you Easterners.
                        sals54

Comment

Thank you very much for all the feedback. We live an hour from the border and cross into Michigan frequently for the last twenty plus years so I know well the honesty is the best policy. And fastest. Have never had an issue.
                          The part I was not sure about is if vendors at the swap would be willing to provide receipts on used parts. Glad to know that is possible and my plan B was at least to have a list of parts bought and price paid. Hitting the road after work and will be itching to go when it opens in the morning. Thanks again to all Chris.
                          1955 Champion Deluxe 2dr.

Comment

Originally posted by 55sedan View Post
                            Thank you very much for all the feedback. We live an hour from the border and cross into Michigan frequently for the last twenty plus years so I know well the honesty is the best policy. And fastest. Have never had an issue.
                            The part I was not sure about is if vendors at the swap would be willing to provide receipts on used parts. Glad to know that is possible and my plan B was at least to have a list of parts bought and price paid. Hitting the road after work and will be itching to go when it opens in the morning. Thanks again to all Chris.
                            Absolutely the best decision. I've made many trips back and forth through Sault Ste Marie and Port Huron over the last several years with either merchandise or just for travel and have found the Border Patrol on both sides smart and perceptive when it comes to discussions with any of us in the vehicle. They don't have much time with each vehicle but they generally are professional and usually like papers with data on them. I can't speak for Windor/Detroit as it's been quite a while.

There have been a couple of times when our number came up and the vehicle was searched. Again, it went well and they moved on. The one thing I can sense on both sides though is - Don't give us a reason to get serious with you as we are darn busy and don't have any time to negotiate.

A couple years back I got a screaming deal on a Kubota Cab fresh in a box from Ontario. Leaving Canada and at the US border I had a large box on a trailer. I had all the paperwork from the dealer I purchased it from and had no issues with Canada. When I told the US customs officer I when to Canada as it was a great deal, he said I've never heard that one before. I showed him the receipt with the list and sale price, he just smiled and said, that's a new one. He waved me through with nothing about duty owed eventhough it was well above the normal threshold.

Don't scr@w with them, they have all the cards.

Bob

Comment

I have purchased parts, made a list, identified the part and price (with or without a receipt), presented the list to customs and had no problem. On one occasion I even exceeded my exemption limit and the customs official looked at the list, smiled and said have a good day. For the most part if you are away more than 48 hours a simple verbal declartion of the value of the goods is sufficent.
                              sigpic
                              55 President Deluxe
                              64 Commander
                              66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

Working...
                              X