No announcement yet.

Cannot fix this car...Ready to move on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good news I think I am close. Engine seems to run like it should. I adjusted and then readjusted the trans bands. Seems to work now but on hard downshift it slips a bit. Which band needs adjusted and which way do I go. In, less turns or out more turns to help with slips?
    51 Studebaker Starlight State Commander Coupe
    53 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander Coupe
    62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

Originally posted by lelshaddai View Post
      Good news I think I am close. Engine seems to run like it should. I adjusted and then readjusted the trans bands. Seems to work now but on hard downshift it slips a bit. Which band needs adjusted and which way do I go. In, less turns or out more turns to help with slips?
      I am thinking that perhaps you are expecting more out of this transmission than it was built to deliver.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by lelshaddai View Post
        Adjusted the floats. Took her for a drive today. 8 miles in all. No backfire, trans shifted correctly. I little slip at full throttle. Can live with that. I will take it out again when it warms up. So far great improvement.
        Another example of perhaps unreal expectations.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
          Another example of perhaps unreal expectations.
          Having met Jim at the annual combined March meet between the Grand Canyon Chapter and the Southern Arizona Chapter, I wouldn't say he has unreal expectations. He is still sorting out his first Studebaker and did get advice from both chapters and continues to ask for our support here on the forum. He has been using this car frequently and once it is sorted out, he will be happy.

That said, I will not run my 67 year old Commander up against the empty headed lead foot rice burner jockeys that feel they have to prove they made a great car buy and not let an old car show them up. Just driving 12 miles one way to work it seems like to me that is the type of drivers I encounter. The road I take from my home has curves and various speed limits from 30mph to 45 mph.

My 97 Olds 88 without working up a sweat can jump in front of them up to the speed limit with throttle shift points at 2,000 to 3,000 rpm. I just smile and wave when I am in my Studebaker(s).

Bob Miles
          Pacific Southwest Zone Coordinator

Comment

Thanks Bob, I could not do this without the help and support of the chapters and the forum. I believe firmly in asking advice when you do not know what to do.
            Jim
            62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

Another thing. I know this is a 68 year old car. I am trying to not do further damage. Rich mentioned adjusting the bands to prevent further damage. I just want to try to follow advice. If I have her dialed in as best as she is going to get then I am satisfied. But if there is still room to adjust them in or out that may still improve her I want to know. I have not succeeded on this car because the tolerances are very different than others I have worked on. Much more precise. You guys wisdom and knowledge help to keep these cars on the road. That is what makes this work. I have a 53 Commander that is in pieces ready for me to reassemble. I will be asking questions. A member on this forum is in France and saw that I had a Renault 4CV and has helped me immensely on my questions. Social Media has a lot of negatives, but this is not one of those areas.
              62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

I agree with Bob. I sold my girlfriend's 2001 Buick Century the other day, and the first guy to look at it test drove it like he was at the Indy race track. I sold it to the second caller, who was a great guy from Wisconsin, and bought it for his wife. Wish I had met up with both of you guys when I was in Sun City West a few weeks ago. I was hoping to meet some Studebaker people while down there.

Comment

Not to hijack the thread, but any time anyone is in Arizona, look me and others up. I have been known to travel a couple of hundred miles for coffee

Bob Miles

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
                    Not to hijack the thread, but any time anyone is in Arizona, look me and others up. I have been known to travel a couple of hundred miles for coffee

Bob Miles
                    Now THAT'S a dedicated Studebaker owner!

Good to hear Bob.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Still wanted to know which way to go on the adjustment of the bands if slipping. Adjust in more or out?
                      62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

You screw the adjusting screw IN to tighten the band. If you are going to do it "blind", with no gauge, do one at a time, and only one turn, no more, on the screw. Then test drive. If nothing changes, set the one you messed with BACK to its original position, and try one of the other two. Same rule applies for that one, and the third band, too. If the adjustment of one band appears to reduce the slipping, you might try a little more on that band, but keep a record of which band you adjusted, and by how much, in case you have to get it back to Square One.
                        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

as to the oil out the breather pipe: could be worn pistons or maybe a blocked road draft tube. What's with the rubber hose over the gas line ? Insulation from outside friction or outside (hot/AZ) air temps....

Comment

Insulation from the AZ temps. Anything to try and prevent vapor lock.
                            62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

The accelerator to transmission linkage adjustment is critical. That probably has more to do with the slippage you mentioned than band adjustment does.
                              There are about 50 service bulletins and service letters outlining parts changes, improvements, revisions in adjustments, and so on. Specifically to your problems is revised specifications for the accelerator to transmission linkage adjustment, sticking or erratic accelerator linkage, and tests for cause of stumble or stall when coming to a stop. I was told once that most of those pages would be included in the reprinted SAD shop manuals, but I don't know if they are for sure.
                              AL SORAN RACING

Comment

Never had a problem with cross firing- arcing wires - in a Studebaker but my son replaced the wires in my F-One Thirsty and it did run like crap! 'Spose a Pertonix set up with old wires would do it. It is not unusual for some doofus to adjust the valves too tight to make it quiet--like with a Chev-- When the engine warms up every one leaks a little. Not good and you may have found the root problem. The DGs do have a strange little 19th century governor. If the trans has never been overhauled, chances are it has issues due to age and wear. Sounds like progress! Keep at it 'cause when you finally get it running right, it feels sooo goood! Have a great transmission guy here but that won't help you much!

Comment

Working...
                                X