Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Indiana members.......do you know this car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indiana members.......do you know this car?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1963-Studeb...sAAOSw1YRcvQ5H

Ironically, I do not. Apparently, it's not been here too long, having come from Minnesota in 2015. Zionsville is only 14 miles from me, so if you need it looked at, let me know.

However, it sounds like local (Greenfield IN) Avanti shop owner Mike Baker has looked it over recently. If you're interested in the car, I'd simply give Mike Baker a call: (317) 498-2288. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Mr.Palma
      Tell us more about Mike Baker.
      Did he buy or rent the SI property in Greenfield?
      To me it is still a mystery of why SI moved from Greenfield.
      There was enough room to built another barn for the South bend inventory.

Comment

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
        Mr.Palma
        Tell us more about Mike Baker.
        Did he buy or rent the SI property in Greenfield?
        To me it is still a mystery of why SI moved from Greenfield.
        There was enough room to built another barn for the South bend inventory.
        Sure, Bob:

1. Mike Baker's property and Avanti restoration business have nothing to do with the original Studebaker International property in Greenfield. Both businesses have [had, in the case of SI] Greenfield IN addresses, but they are on opposite sides of U.S. 40 on opposite sides of Greenfield, probably five miles apart. The two aren't related and never have been, to the best of my knowledge.

2. Mike Baker bought his own property (again, nothing to do with SI) and built a new, large industrial building on it, dedicated to Avanti service. It's impressive. I bet he could get at least two dozen cars inside if he had to; very nice and all-new.

3. It's my understanding that Ed Reynolds wanted to sell the Greenfield SI location after he sold the business.

4. SI Business Purchasers Jim and Corey Lime found a more desireable location in the smaller town of Hope IN, where commercial real estate prices would have been more affordable. Ed's property was becoming increasingly valuable as Indianapolis moved east.

5. Words from Jim and Corey upon their move:

Greetings to all Studebaker International customers from Jim and Corey Lime. We would like to take this opportunity to introduce ourselves as the new owners of Studebaker International. Corey and I have collectively been involved with Studebaker parts for more than 35 years. I have worked for Ed Reynolds for nearly 18 years, while my son Corey has been around the parts since he was 6 years of age. It is our goal to continue on with supplying and reproducing Studebaker parts as Ed has for so many years. We hope to continue doing business with you all and look forward to having your help in carrying on the Studebaker legacy.

Best. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Car sold for $20,500.00

Comment

A very nice resto-mod. But I'm surprised no one has clocked in about the presumably non-Studebaker 350 engine. Most Stude fans are pretty opinionated about this. And the interior is most likely from an '80s Avanti II. Seller letting the photos do the talking, I'm sure there are many other modifications made to make this car a better everyday performance car you can live with, perhaps even better than original. If I was in the market, I would not hesitate to buy as a driver car. I can appreciate these changes. But as a collector, no. $25,000 seems a little high for a non-stock classic, and yet $20,500 looks like a bargain as presented! That being said, I doubt the seller recouped his investment. Not trying to be negative, just stating the obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by Devan View Post
              A very nice resto-mod. But I'm surprised no one has clocked in about the presumably non-Studebaker 350 engine. Most Stude fans are pretty opinionated about this. And the interior is most likely from an '80s Avanti II. Seller letting the photos do the talking, I'm sure there are many other modifications made to make this car a better everyday performance car you can live with, perhaps even better than original. If I was in the market, I would not hesitate to buy as a driver car. I can appreciate these changes. But as a collector, no. $25,000 seems a little high for a non-stock classic, and yet $20,500 looks like a bargain as presented! That being said, I doubt the seller recouped his investment. Not trying to be negative, just stating the obvious.
              Don, when you click on the link now, it shows a green Avanti, not the gold one that was originally the topic of this thread...and that sold for $20,500.

The green one is another car, another place, another seller, with the 350 Chevrolet engine. Your post implies you're discussing the original car, not the one e-bay substituted as "similar" once the original one sold, so it's kinda confusing. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Originally posted by Devan View Post
                Devan, to take your observations a little further...one thing I often do when someone provides an eBay link to a Studebaker for sale is to click on the seller's "other items" in order to gain a little insight as to who I am dealing with. In this case, this happens to be a "dealer/flipper/reseller" showing more than 2,200 collector cars for sale! So, this is a car consigned to this seller who, for an additional fee, will list your car, produce a slick promotional ad, edit and post photos. Nothing wrong with that except for folks (like me) who would rather deal directly with an owner in order to gain a better view of the vehicle, what's been done, what's motivating the sale, and then make judgments from the information garnered from the encounter.

These consignment companies provide a great service to folks who have neither the talent, energy, or motivation to devote to selling a vehicle they have little passion, interest, or time to devote to selling the vehicle. But, for those of us who looking for a "keeper???"
                Buying from one of these sellers requires a close examination and can still be a big gamble lacking cues & clues that only an owner can provide.
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Thanks for the clarification, Bob. I was discussing the green Avanti. Had no idea there was a gold one previous; confusing, indeed!

Comment

Working...
                  X