Interest in a '63-'64 Champ grille?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interest in a '63-'64 Champ grille?

Would anyone around here be interested in a grille for a '63-4 Champ pickup? It's in decent condition, though certainly not show condition.

Click image for larger version

Name:	front.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	1760403
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Looks like the "1964 7/8" Grille that never was released for Production.

I do not believe the "Studebaker" embossed '64's were ever installed on any Trucks before the line shutdown.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

The grille in the picture as far as I know was not installed on Champ trucks from the factory. I owned both a 62 and 64 Champ with chrome grilles and several friends have owned them over the years and none of them had lettering on the chrome grille. I'm thinking the grille in the picture was installed sometime after the truck was built. Bud

Comment

There will always be interest in any of these grills that are not broken or bent. When someone has a grill like this re-chromed they will have to make sure it is a top notch business. Have seen a few pieces like this where the letters are almost ground away in the process.

Comment

Looks like a 50 commander hood ornament on it, first time I saw one on a truck
          Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
          1961 Hawk 4-speed
          1967 Avanti
          1961 Lark 2 door
          1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Ah, so if I'm not willing to just give it away no one's interested? How disappointing...
            Ron Smith

Comment

I don't think you need to give it away. It looks presentable, I'm curious as to what you plan on using in the truck, and what you think would be a reasonable price. I am interested if it doesn't get really expensive.

Comment

I have two champs. One is a '62 and this one is a '63, I think. Since there's no paperwork on this one and it appears to be just a sum of parts, I was thinking of using it as such to get the '62 back on the road. In fact, I also have a '63 wagon that has been parted out with the chassis still intact. So one plan was to put the Champ cab on the wagon chassis and use parts from both trucks to make one operative truck. That way I can have power steering and brakes on the truck and better brakes to boot. Another idea was to cut the cap off the back of this cab and put it on one of my little '63 two-doors with a Wagon's seat in the back so I have some place for the dogs. All of this will bolt right up on the wagon chassis. However, I'm wondering if the cab might be a bit long with the back seat. I think it would be. After all, the bed needs to go on behind. So, it might be better to just attach the back cap directly on the door post. So many daydreams at the moment.Click image for larger version

Name:	emo44.gif
Views:	6
Size:	1.3 KB
ID:	1727773

At the moment though, I need the money for two brake jobs and some other projects having to do with my living quarters. So that is the incentive to sell. The grille is not a necessity, even though it's kinda cool.

Name:	emo10.gif
Views:	17
Size:	1.5 KB
ID:	1727774 When I got the truck people were telling me how very valuable the grille is. That it was worth what I paid for the truck. Yeah, right. The sum of parts in this truck is well worth what I paid for it as long as I can get a decent price for the grille. Which looks to have been so much hot air on a few fella's part.

Ah well, there I go nattering along again. That's what you get for asking!

Name:	emo29.gif
Views:	3
Size:	646 Bytes
ID:	1727771Click image for larger version

Name:	emo34.gif
Views:	3
Size:	1.1 KB
ID:	1727772
                Last edited by studeclunker; 04-22-2019, 11:30 PM.
                Ron Smith

Comment

The answer might be to put it on ebay with a reserve you could accept and see what someone is willing to pay. I know I would bid.
                  Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                  50 Champion 2 door*
                  53 Commander K Auto*
                  53 Commander K overdrive*
                  55 President Speedster
                  62 GT 4Speed*
                  63 Avanti R1*
                  64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

That is a decent-looking Champ. Deluxe cab, too. Should be saved if it's not a rust-bucket.And the Toyota Land Cruncher looks pretty good, too.
                    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

OK, I'll bite. How much? It'd only be a spare for me at teh momment
                      Ron Dame
                      '63 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by ddub View Post
                        The answer might be to put it on ebay with a reserve you could accept and see what someone is willing to pay. I know I would bid.
                        Yeah, that is an option I had considered. My intention was to offer it here and hope for a decent offer. In fact, I would have taken less here as there aren't any fees, etc, whittling away at it. Oh well.

As to the repeated requests to state a price? PM me an offer. The worst I can say is no.

Once again, I have been quoted values in a previous thread on this truck (yes it's rusty) that the grille was worth more than I paid for the whole truck. So price? How about five hundred dollars OBO? MAKE ME AN OFFER quit being cheap and hoping I'll give it away for practically nothing.
                        You might be surprised.
                        Ron Smith

Comment

PM sent! (add ten characters to be long enough to post)
                          Ron Dame
                          '63 Champ

Comment

Working...
                          X