1957 Golden Hawk door Data Plate.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1957 Golden Hawk door Data Plate.

I bought a 1957 GH last year that had a amateur restoration started. The car had been partially disassembled, fenders hood chemically stripped, interior paint stripped. The owner died in the midst of working on his project. The door data plate had been removed to sand the sills and was not in the misc. packages that came with the car. Underhood the engine had been rebuilt and I had Paradise wheels rebuild the supercharger. The underhood paint had not been stripped and the cowl plate is still attached. The car is one of 20 that was painted the Azure Blue Metallic. A very nice med. dark blue color that was favored by customizers in it's day. My question is; how do I get a replacement for the door tag?

It is the Serial Number plate that you are requesting. You could make a reproduction. Cut a piece of stainless steel in the proper size and shape. Have the S/N stamped or engraved in as close to the original fonts as you can. Buy a reproduction label for the top part. I would attach it with double sided trim tape, but that part is up to you (originally spot welded)..
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I have a Hawk and the tag was hanging by a thread and there was a lot of rust behind it. There was no paint behind either tag. I have seen the sn tag just fall off. I don't think you can buy one so as mentioned, you'd have to fabricate one But don't tell a sole that you did!!! Be nice if some one made a decal for the sn tag; paint on ss doesn't stick super-well. ( I put mine back on with {OMG} rivets!)

Comment

Doesn’t Jerry Kurtz make replacement plates?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffry Cassel View Post
          I have a Hawk and the tag was hanging by a thread and there was a lot of rust behind it. There was no paint behind either tag. I have seen the sn tag just fall off. I don't think you can buy one so as mentioned, you'd have to fabricate one But don't tell a sole that you did!!! Be nice if some one made a decal for the sn tag; paint on ss doesn't stick super-well. ( I put mine back on with {OMG} rivets!)
          Someone does or at least did make S/N plate decals.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by rowan View Post
          Doesn’t Jerry Kurtz make replacement plates?
          I thought that he was making body number plates (but could be wrong).
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Is there a way to contact Jerry Kurtz to find out? I don't think I could fabricate a good facsimile.

Comment

Jerry does not make serial plates. Contact LaVine restorations in Nappanee, IN. They bought out the business of Pulfer and Williams who made plates for all cars. http://pulferandwilliams.com/data-tags/
              Best to simply call to see if they have it. Incidentally you can divine the serial number by using the body number (Studebaker National Museum). Takes a little time. Of course that number is stamped in the rear cross member also.
              Richard Quinn
              Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

You could post the Serial Number from the Title here, and we could check it to be sure it is correct for a '57 Golden Hawk.
                It is also possible if you have no Title, that "someone" here could cross your Body tag number to it's matching Car Serial Number.

There is no "DATA" on these Serial Number Plates, only the Car's sequential number on the Assembly Line.
                The only info that can be gained is the Group of Serial Numbers for the 2 plants and Champion, Commander and President (or 289 Car) numbering groups.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks for all the reply's. I do have the title and the body tag is still on the vehicle. Will check the rear cross member for cross reference.

Comment

Working...
                  X