Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti Dash Plaque

Hello,

Would someone be able to please post a picture of their dash plaque for the 63 - 64 Avanti? I'm referring to the one on the center console that states "Avanti quality built expressly for". The one for my car is gone and I was thinking of having one engraved with my name. Wanted to see what font/style was used.

Thank you

OR... Just BUY one on Pg.56 of the S.I. Catalog.

http://studebakervendors.com

Knowing what is available, and WHERE to find it, is one of the best advantages of being an SDC Member and receiving your Monthly "Turning Wheels" Magazine.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Thank you for your response but I have purchased a new plaque. As I said above, I wanted to see an original plaque to determine what font was used.

Comment

This is also asked on the AOAI Forum. Besides me explaining that the 1963 and 1964 versions are different and that they are available from SI, examples have been posted from Studebaker literature showing both block and script names engraved on them (possibly different by year).
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Here's mine from a '63. Measures 1 1/4" X 3 1/2".

Click image for larger version

Name:	avanti.nametag.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	1727692

Comment

Thank you for your help.

Comment

My guess is that these were locally engraved by a local trophy company or someone like that. Each dealer would have blank plates and have them engraved as the cars sold. I doubt that the dealer had the engraving tool. Not sure there would be ANY standardization of font or style.
              sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
              1950 Champion Convertible
              1950 Champion 4Dr
              1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
              1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by thunderations View Post
                My guess is that these were locally engraved by a local trophy company or someone like that. Each dealer would have blank plates and have them engraved as the cars sold. I doubt that the dealer had the engraving tool. Not sure there would be ANY standardization of font or style.
                When Studebaker Avantis were purchased new, the owners received a form to use if they wanted a plaque. This form was submitted to Studebaker who provided the engraved plaque. I believe that many of the currently existing plaques are reproductions from later years.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

That would make sense too. Thanks for the info.
                  Originally posted by studegary View Post
                  When Studebaker Avantis were purchased new, the owners received a form to use if they wanted a plaque. This form was submitted to Studebaker who provided the engraved plaque. I believe that many of the currently existing plaques are reproductions from later years.
                  sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                  1950 Champion Convertible
                  1950 Champion 4Dr
                  1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                  1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Here's the plaque from mine. My Dad bought it new.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Commando66 View Post
                      Here's the plaque from mine. My Dad bought it new.
                      It is not mentioned, so I thought that it should be made clear that this a 1964 model year plaque and inscription.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I've mine somewhere (R-3470). If I can stumble over it in a little bit, I'll take a pic and post, too.

Sheesh, this is embarrassing! It wasn't where I thought I'd recently seen it. In any event, it is the early version as pictured above engraved "Roy Turner." However, though the car was built in Feb. of '63 it wasn't sold to Mr. Turner until a year later and registered as a 1964, as were many. Yet, what the new owner received from Stude was the old style, as noted.

Now, I'm going to HAVE to find the dumb thing. Thanks 426 elephant!
                        Last edited by Xcalibur; 04-19-2019, 07:39 PM.

Comment

There was a '62 GT for sale by the original owner on the nwct craigs list recently. It had the cursive style script like the one on commando66's post #10. I just went on to copy the link but it has been taken down.
                          Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                            It is not mentioned, so I thought that it should be made clear that this a 1964 model year plaque and inscription.
                            Yes, my Dad purchased R4580 in February of 1964.

Comment

Working...
                            X