Suspension Sunday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspension Sunday

Spent the day replacing springs and bushings on the front of this Cruiser. I used the replacement springs that used to be Moog C655. They fit perfectly and brought the ride height back to stock. The ride is greatly improved. I replaced the rear spring bushings a couple of weeks ago.
    What a nice car this Cruiser has become!!
    The front springs had collapsed to the point that there was hardly any suspension movement at all. Before and after pics attached, I hope!
    Attached Files
    Jamie McLeod
    Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
    1958 Commander "Christine"
    1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
    1955 Commander Sedan
    1964 Champ
    1960 Lark

The 3/4 front shot makes it hard to compare. Is the fender opening close to the whitewall height on that one?
    sigpic

"In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

The whitewall was even with the top of the wheel opening. It looks like about a 4 inch change.
      Jamie McLeod
      Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
      1958 Commander "Christine"
      1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
      1955 Commander Sedan
      1964 Champ
      1960 Lark

Comment

Lookin' mighty fine, Jamie!
        Mike Davis
        Regional Manager, North Carolina
        1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

I have owned four 1964 Cruisers, including one that looked just like yours, except for the wheelcovers. That is something else that we have in common (8/4).
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Car sits nice and looks great. jimmijim
            sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

You are totally awesome to have done that job in one day. I am on day 2 of the same job on my Clipper and anticipate it taking a week. Those Delrin bushings go in nice!! It took a torch and a 10 ton Porta-power to get the lower A arm off! Metal that's been together for 62 years doesn't seem to want to come apart like it says in the shop manual.

Comment

Very Nice looking Cruiser Jamie!

The first Pic makes it pretty clear that it is Bermuda Brown, the Second, not so much it appears more Black.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Good work on the car!...but in my ever increasing senior moments...when I read the title...

I thought you got kicked out of CHURCH!
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Great stance now, Jamie; congrats. BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Just got mine back together today. 7 days!!! But now the caster is acceptable.

Comment

When speaking of the new stance of the brown Cruiser I was present when that work was done and I can say that before the new springs the top of the wheel well actually covered the top edge of the white wall. As such the improvement is not only in the stance but also in the ride.

Jamie's '64 Cruiser will be on Hot Rod Power Tour in June along with my '65 Cruiser. I am anticipating a lot more questions this year than we got last year with only one Cruiser at the event. (Jamie was the navigator in my Cruiser last summer)
                        Joe Roberts
                        '61 R1 Champ
                        '65 Cruiser
                        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Working...
                        X