2R6-12 Vin Plate & Month of Production

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2R6-12 Vin Plate & Month of Production

I'd like to ask if it is possible to approximately estimate the month of production from the VIN Plate and Tag...

I've attached a couple photos in case it might be possible.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190330_172452.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	1760342 Click image for larger version

Name:	20190330_172649.jpg
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	1760343

I know the original color wasn't white
    Richard
    sigpic

Looks like an Export Serial Number Plate, I have never seen one ANYTHING like that design used on Trucks here.

A 2R-6 would be a 112 Inch (Short) Wheelbase 245.6 Engine, 1/2 Ton Pickup, the Serial Numbers started at R6-101 in 1949 thru 1953.
    Engine Numbers Started at 6R-101

If I figured right, that makes it the 8,690th. R6 Built at South Bend.

What Year is it Registered as?

So to know the Date, you would need to Order the Production Order from the Studebaker National Museum.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 04-12-2019, 03:39 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

R6-8791 was almost certainly built in December 1952, as a 1953 model. Starting serial number for the 1953 models was R6-7424, which occurred either in July or very early August 1952. After that 2R6 production was as follows:
      Aug: 196
      Sep: 346
      Oct: 350
      Nov: 302
      Dec: 479
      Only 47 2R6s were built in July, but not sure if they were 1952 or 53 models. Am assuming they were the last 52s.
      Skip Lackie

Comment

Hi StudeRich,

Thanks for your comments quick off the mark.

I bought the truck out of Nebraska, so am not certain regards your comments on the VIN Plate. The truck arrived last month, so not much has heppended yet with it.

The truck was first registered in 1953. My interest in my questions is I'm in the process of completing paperwork to register the truck in the UK for number plates. One of the questions inquired when the truck was first registered. If I could guestimate the approximate month it was produced, I'd use that month and pick a date to fill in the box!

In the meantime, attached a photo of the Nebraska plate on the rear of the truck. Sadly, the front plate got busted on the trip over here.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	20190317_124251.jpg
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	1727600
        Richard
        sigpic

Comment

Hi Skip,

Thanks for the breakdown.

I reckon my truck was manufactured in December 1953 and being number 1,3676. As I run your numbers down from what I reckon is mt truck's production number, I only get to a negative number when I hit December! I'd like to choose my birthday as the registration date, but I'm not so sure many vehicles would be getting registered on Christmas Day! Think I'll look at the calender and select an early date in December 1953.

It must have been exciting for the person who ordere this truck to finally pick up the keys and drive home for the first time in their shiny new, dark green truck... sort of envious of that thought!
          Richard
          sigpic

Comment

December 1952, not 1953! Was probably first registered in January or February 1953. Serial number plate looks correct to me.
            Skip Lackie

Comment

Hey Skip. Can I send you a PM about mine? I'd like to run it backwards from an engine number....

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs K Corbin View Post
                Hey Skip. Can I send you a PM about mine? I'd like to run it backwards from an engine number....
                Sure, but won't be back home to look at my books until the end of the week. And I don't have any engine number data -- just production figures and starting serial numbers.
                Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                X