Drove my truck for the first time.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drove my truck for the first time.

It has been almost a year since I reported on buying a 52 2R pickup in Mississippi. The truck was rust free, but had been sitting for a few years before a "mechanic" of questionable skill tried to get it running. A small fire had damaged the wiring which was in bad shape anyway.
    As money, time, weather, and keeping grand kids have permitted I have been slowly bringing it back. Today for the first time the truck moved under its own power. I drove it around the house from the back driveway to the front so I could rinse some of the tree pollen off.
    It is still not ready to hit the highway, but most of the wiring is replaced, the 12 volt fuel gauge works, and the dash is refurbished. Lots more to do, but now the local cars guys can stop asking if it will ever move. Oh, I also found that the power steering does work.
    Attached Files
    sigpic

"In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

That is a nice looking truck. I have always loved the C Cabs. I know you will enjoy it. Summer's coming!
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Nice looking Truck, I like that sturdy rear Step Bumper.

Does that mean that your "Armstrong" Power Steering worked!

It would be a serious Modification to actually HAVE Power Steering.

Is that a 3/4 Ton, full floating differential on that 1/2 Ton?
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        Nice looking Truck, I like that sturdy rear Step Bumper.

Does that mean that your "Armstrong" Power Steering worked!

It would be a serious Modification to actually HAVE Power Steering.

Is that a 3/4 Ton, full floating differential on that 1/2 Ton?
        The bumper may be a bit too heavy duty for my tastes. I was happy to find that it is bolted on and not welded like some are.
        The truck actually has some kind of later model power steering box. It has a late 50s type GM generator/PS pump.
        Yes that is a later 3/4 ton rear axle. Someone intended to do some heavy hauling. The truck also has a 1964 259 V-8 with overdrive.
        Attached Files
        sigpic

Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

My 4 year old granddaughter was my first passenger on one of my back and forth trips today.
          Attached Files
          sigpic

Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Congrats on knowing a good deal when you saw it. That's a truck with some serious shadetree engineering. The axle and wheels are an interesting touch. However, the PS pump is easy to see, but to what does it connect and how is it actuated?

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

3/4 ton rear, but is that half-ton front?

Comment

Beautiful truck! In almost every way... I have a weird aversion to red, which clearly you and I do not share. But with a 52 car and a 52 truck, I'd say you are living the dream.

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                  Congrats on knowing a good deal when you saw it. That's a truck with some serious shadetree engineering. The axle and wheels are an interesting touch. However, the PS pump is easy to see, but to what does it connect and how is it actuated?

jack vines
                  I guess I should have attached my first post to the ones from early last year, but I'll re-post. The P/S box is of unknown origin and the steering column is out of a 50 or so Studebaker car. The shaft was cut and a rag joint added. This gives self canceling turn signals and appears stock at first look. That is why I didn't even notice the P/S box until we got the truck home.
                  Excuse the mess under the hood. I haven't been able to move the truck to where I could de-grease until yesterday. The dash and column have gotten lots of attention.
                  Attached Files
                  sigpic

Searcy, Arkansas
                  1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs K Corbin View Post
                    3/4 ton rear, but is that half-ton front?
                    It is a half ton truck. Someone beefed it up for towing. The front axle even has a piece welded to the web. The truck has air shocks on the back and, until I removed it, had an extra fuel tank in the rear. The heavy rear end will be going away when I get other things sorted out. I want to run the same wheels and caps all around.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by 52-fan; 04-11-2019, 09:04 AM.
                    sigpic

Searcy, Arkansas
                    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by Michidan View Post
                      Beautiful truck! In almost every way... I have a weird aversion to red, which clearly you and I do not share. But with a 52 car and a 52 truck, I'd say you are living the dream.
                      Dan, I hear you about red. If I had been choosing a color I would have probably picked one of the stock greens or blue, but since this truck has excellent sheet metal and had already been repainted in close to its original red, I wasn't going to pass it up. Red seems to be our color right now. My brother has had a red Dodge for years and I just happened to find a van for my wife which is red. At least I still have my green (and primer and rust ) 52 Commander.
                      sigpic

Searcy, Arkansas
                      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Before you condemn the 3/4 rear, check the Ratio. The stock Stude rear ends were low geared, and had tapered axles.
                        If you do go back to the stock half ton rear, I would use flanged axles with the V8, and make sure I could get a decent axle ratio.
                        The 3/4 may have better brakes too.
                        So you may think about researching converting the front.
                        However the Caveat to that is Tire changes, as there have been some debate on the wheel/tire changes for stock Stude Split type rims.
                        Your back ones don't look like the stock Stude Stuff, so you're probably ok there.

The air shocks will make for a hard ride, so I'd ditch them for sure.

the P.S. looks well done, but I'm not sure about the hose routing, being that close to the exhaust. I've learned to get my truck moving just a little before I turn it.

The AC will be nice too...

Comment

The 3/4 ton rear end is about a 4:55. Not too bad with overdrive, but I don't need it. The current 8 bolt wheels are aftermarket that were chrome, but rusty when I got the truck. I am not too worried about the rear for now. The brakes are probably the best part and the shoes and wheel cylinders front and rear looked like the PO had replaced them. I bought the truck from the lady that inherited it and she had no details.
                          BTW The picture of the wheel painted red was just before the tire fell apart. The truck now has some good rollers off my Dodge pickup.
                          Attached Files
                          sigpic

Searcy, Arkansas
                          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
                            The 3/4 ton rear end is about a 4:55. Not too bad with overdrive, but I don't need it. The current 8 bolt wheels are aftermarket that were chrome, but rusty when I got the truck. I am not too worried about the rear for now. The brakes are probably the best part and the shoes and wheel cylinders front and rear looked like the PO had replaced them. I bought the truck from the lady that inherited it and she had no details.
                            BTW The picture of the wheel painted red was just before the tire fell apart. The truck now has some good rollers off my Dodge pickup.
                            JMHO, but you've got a unique build going there. The 3/4-ton brakes are worlds better than the 1/2-ton and the look of the 8-lugs on the short box is too cool.

Your Dana 60 can be had with 3.54, 3.90 and 4.10 gears and limited slip for about the same cost of putting the weaker tapered axle Dana 44 in the same condition.

FWIW, since you need new tires, the Michelin LT 215/85-16 tires are the best going for Stude pickups. They ride well, run quiet, handle great and wear forever.

jack vines
                            PackardV8

Comment

I'll have to get new wheels if I go to 16". Right now it has 15" on both ends.
                              sigpic

Searcy, Arkansas
                              1952 2R pickup

Comment

Working...
                              X