No announcement yet.

Advance Auto Surprise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No shipping charges apply if you pick it up at the store. Usually 2 to 3 days at the most.

Comment

As an example of how Advance Auto Parts, as well as most other major chains today, Jegs, Summit, Walmart, Rock Auto, AutoZone, eBay, abuse the search system, just put in say, "1956 Studebaker pistons." Advance and all those others will come up as a match. Follow several clicks deep into their system and eventually the answer is, "Nothing found."

They pay Google and other search engines to place them high on the first page, even though they have nothing remotely similar to the part being searched for. They are willing to waste most search efforts just in the hope one will eventually buy something other than that for which they were originally searching.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

A lot of times Advance has specials and if you look at something they will send you email with 20 or event 25% off and free shipping over $50. Rock Auto always seems to have high shipping and if you order several items they always seem to be shipped from different locations adding more shipping. Most will let you order online and pick up at store
        Rock auto has best web page only equaled by McMaster Carr for ease of use

Comment

I've had pretty good luck with Advance Auto.

"I need an oil pressure sender for a Lotus Elan."

The guy looks in the catalog, goes in the shelves and hands me one. Eight bucks.

His catalog refers him to a 6 cyl Chev part, which is actually the same.

"I need the tailgate lift cylinders for an old Volvo wagon."

The guy checks his listings, goes in the shelves and hands me a pair. $20 bucks.

What's not to like?

But the best luck I've ever had was at a now gone Mom-and-Pop parts store. I went in to buy an ordinary group 24 battery.

The youngster behind the counter asked, "anything else?"

Being a smart-alec, I said, "Yes, I need an exhaust pipe and muffler for a '59 AH Sprite."

The kid didn't flinch, just went in the back and came back with the parts.

Being Joe Cool, I didn't flinch either, so I asked, "How much"?

The kid said; "The pipe is $8, and the muffler is $9."

I couldn't help myself, so I asked "Why so cheap?"

"Uh, looks like we've had them on the shelf since '63, and that was the list price."
          Last edited by jnormanh; 04-17-2019, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Timberlake View Post
            Looks like some Honda Passports ///may/// have used Dana 44s as well !! I never would have expected THAT.
            https://www.summitracing.com/parts/f...ons/make/honda
            Honda Passports were rebadged Isuzu Rodeos.

2004/2014 Nissan Titans came with Dana 44's as did Jeeps, Ford cars/trucks and gawd only knows how many others.

Advance says they have emission parts for Studebaker Sky Hawks. What Studebaker before 1961 has any emission parts?

Comment

Well Hey, eBay advertisers have been selling Catalytic Converters for years for ALL Studes.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
              X