No announcement yet.

Whitewall tire width

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was told that the spare was original but I guess it could have been a replacement tire. The car had 39,000 on it when I bought it form the second owner. I stand corrected.
    Gary Sanders
    Nixa, MO

Comment

I chose to go with the 3 1/4" for my '55 President State Sedan.

Since five new wide white walls were a little out of reach at the time I decided to order one for the spare from Coker. I decided for originality sake that it would be a bias-belted Firestone. There was a print online of three gentlemen standing next to an early model '55 President State Sedan. I figured the wide white walls in that picture should be pretty original. I can not tell the actual width of the white walls but they came pretty close to the ground.

Post 16 shows a 2 3/4 inch white wall Firestone. I decided to go with the 3 1/4 inch white wall. The narrower one comes out past the lettering and the wider one goes out a little closer to the pie crust. Studegary prefers the narrower one and it looks good. Maybe subconsciously I was figuring that since the car has a gaudy amount of chrome I might as well go with a gaudy amount of white on the tires.

Charlie D.
      Attached Files

Comment

Ohmygosh! They put the Whitewall clear OVER the Rub Rail that is normally Black, it protects the Whitewall on the next/later version narrower Wide Whitewalls like in Post #16. Yep, that's WIDE!
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

For the sake of comparison, my ‘51 with Diamondbacks (Toyo brand tires), 225/75R15 with 3” whitewall mounted on 6” wide wheels. A little larger than what most run on a Stude but I like a little more rubber to fill up the wheel wells.

Click image for larger version

Name:	47AAF56E-D604-4601-918B-82972F849D4C.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	1727539

Comment

Working...
          X