Daisy-Mae gave me a ration of grief!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daisy-Mae gave me a ration of grief!

Not too long ago, the distributor on my darling '62 Hawk decided it did not want to work anymore. That's all well and good, it was getting worn anyway. However, I have barely have her back for a week before another problem surfaced. There I was, making an absolute buffoon of myself in my bank's parking lot as I cranked the starter for close to a 1/2 hour. Not fun in the slightest! I somehow managed to limp her over to my mechanic and boy howdy did I receive a kick in the head!

Let me explain. As it turns out, the replacement distributor that I had was rebuilt improperly. The screw holding down the rotor was too short. This allowed the rotor assembly to spin freely, thus wrecking my points more effectively than New England levels of corrosion. Also, the dwell got itself to .47 instead of .30 where it should be. Fun. Anyway, I was able to source new points courtesy of Studebaker International but the final bill is going to be rather expensive.

I didn't even tell the clincher yet. You see, this Saturday is my prom. My senior prom. The big one! I won't get those points until Monday!

Oh well. No one ever did say that owning an old car would be easy or cheap. Besides, this was a situation that I had absolutely no control over so all I can really do is grin and bear it.

Best of luck lads! Have a pleasant weekend with your Studes like I wish I could!
    Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Originally posted by Stude Shoo-wop! View Post
    Not too long ago, the distributor on my darling '62 Hawk decided it did not want to work anymore. That's all well and good, it was getting worn anyway. However, I have barely have her back for a week before another problem surfaced. There I was, making an absolute buffoon of myself in my bank's parking lot as I cranked the starter for close to a 1/2 hour. Not fun in the slightest! I somehow managed to limp her over to my mechanic and boy howdy did I receive a kick in the head!

Let me explain. As it turns out, the replacement distributor that I had was rebuilt improperly. The screw holding down the rotor was too short. This allowed the rotor assembly to spin freely, thus wrecking my points more effectively than New England levels of corrosion. Also, the dwell got itself to .47 instead of .30 where it should be. Fun. Anyway, I was able to source new points courtesy of Studebaker International but the final bill is going to be rather expensive.

I didn't even tell the clincher yet. You see, this Saturday is my prom. My senior prom. The big one! I won't get those points until Monday!

Oh well. No one ever did say that owning an old car would be easy or cheap. Besides, this was a situation that I had absolutely no control over so all I can really do is grin and bear it.

Best of luck lads! Have a pleasant weekend with your Studes like I wish I could!
    All you had to do was call Stephen Allen's, or Markham Motors and you could have had them first thing in the morning......
    Bo

Comment

Jake, you are still cool for school even without Daisy Mae as your companion. Congratulations on your graduation and here's to making memories with your GT Hawk after graduation. (Loved your Hawk video !!!)

Comment

Sorry you had that trouble Jake.

If it is a Stock Distributor, either a Prestolite or a Delco, especially a Delco Early or Late Window Type Delco,< (I believe due to the screws in the Rotor it is) your Local Parts Store will have them on the shelf or from their Warehouse by Tomorrow!

Just ask for a '57 to '62 Chev. V8 with the separate Condenser and Points.

Just keep the S.I. ones for a spare.

UPDATE: I just realized that you said the Points were damaged, it the Rotor was loose, it would be the Dist. Cap that would be damaged, NOT the Points!
        Last edited by StudeRich; 04-04-2019, 09:53 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

What Rich said or else go to NAPA. Bet you'll find a match. They still cross reference Studebaker parts so you have a strong possibility of finding what you need.
          "Every man I meet on the street is superior to me in some respect, and from that I can learn."
          R.W. Emerson

Comment

it's getting harder to cross match stuff these days.......
            However it's also a good idea to keep a spare.

I'd also recommend taking a mechanic's course when you can just to learn as much as you can about that car.
            Primarily to get yourself out of the trouble you're bound to get into, plus keep costs down.
            A call to the local bunch of the SDC should have netted you a set in a few minutes or hours.

Comment

Sorry for your problems, Jake.

What happened was/is not unusual, its sort of the price of admission for using our elderly iron for daily transportation.

You did put a couple drops of oil on the wick under the rotor button and some oil in the oil cup on the side of the distributor body when you installed the new distributor?

Now that there are no corner service stations to help with the nickel and dime problems that are bound to crop up, the owner/driver has to be able to handle them his/herself.

Its not a bad idea to keep a set of points and a condenser in the glove compartment.

Enjoy your car.

Comment

...or make the switch to electronic ignition...
                Mike Davis
                Regional Manager, North Carolina
                1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Originally posted by StudeNewby View Post
                  And then you can have a whole new set of problems!

Comment

Daisy-Mae must be Problem Child's twin sister....?
                    Lou Van Anne
                    62 Champ
                    64 R2 GT Hawk
                    79 Avanti II

Comment

Originally posted by StudeNewby View Post
                      To me, it's a pointless exercise!

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by spokejr View Post
                        Are you being serious? Or trying to be funny?

Craig

Comment

Ken
                          Well played! Sir, Well played!
                          , ,

Comment

That's punny!
                            sigpic
                            Dave Lester

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                              Are you being serious? Or trying to be funny?

Craig
                              Both. I went through 3 Pertronix units within a year. I now have points back in my Avanti.

Ken

Comment

Working...
                              X