Studebakers still working... in Havana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebakers still working... in Havana

On this past Monday, April 1st, I did see several Studebakers in Havana. Yes, I know it was April Fool's Day, but this was real.

I apologize for the lousy picture, but I just caught a glimpse and clicked the camera as best I could. I think it may have been a Champion, '47 to '49. Later I saw a '47 -'49 convertible at some distance as it drove off. It was a pale lavender. Then I saw what looked like a '57 four-door sedan driving in traffic moving away from me.

I was amazed at the numbers of old American cars still in use. It seemed like there were hundreds of convertibles (mostly '50s to '57 Chevrolets, but also quite a few Dodges and Fords with an occasional Plymouth, Buick, Olds, Pontiac and Mercury). They were cruising the tourist areas looking for tourists to pay for riding in the convertibles. However, there were many sedans and such that were clearly every day drivers. It seemed like nearly all the cars were running Lada diesel engines and who knows what the trannies were. Even the suspension probably isn't original American. One of the Chevy convertibles clearly had a truck front axle.
    Attached Files
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

We met a young couple in Havana last year, Gabriel and Annie, who were driving a pink (of course) '60 Lark - with the original 259 still sounding pretty good! We saw 5 other Studes on the road, in various hues and with non-standard lights and wheels, and trim.

The cars are truly an amazing high lite of the trip (for an old car nut).
    Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
    61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
    Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
    Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

Working...
    X