Changes in the May Meet in South Bend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changes in the May Meet in South Bend

This year's Michiana Chapter May Meet will be bigger and better than ever! Because of our sponsor this year, Studebaker International, and Stephen Allen's having such a big presence at our Meet (and we thank them and all vendors for that) we are opening a second building for the first time in a non-International Meet year. This leaves room for you if you want to, or have considered vending in South Bend. Here are the changes as a
    result of the adding a building:

1. The Starlight Café will be moving to the Community Room in the bigger building, called the Singer Building. Same people, same food, but not from last year.., and a nicer place to have lunch, or a snack, and talk Studebaker.
    2. The Car Corral will be moving to the area between both buildings, so no one misses the opportunity to buy or sell the Studebaker of their dreams. If you bring a car on a trailer, we have the room to accommodate you. Don’t forget, there is a small fee to put your car in the Corral.
    3. More bathrooms! Bathrooms in the bleachers will be open too.
    4. Outside vendors will be in between both buildings. This is an opportunity for you to see everything and not miss that part that you need to finish a project.
    5. Handicapped parking will be on the south side of both buildings. More spaces, and closer to the buildings for those that need it. Handicapped and vendors/volunteers will be in Gate 2. All others, Gate 4.
    6. We will still sell soft drinks in the Commercial Building, where the Meet has been for years. There will be a table there that is manned for vendors, or attendees with questions. The PA will also be there if you have lost something.
    7. Vendors, the Registration Area, and Karen Dyer will be in the same room as the Star Light Café. This will enable you to park, get your stuff, rent a table if you haven’t already, and get your space ready without the bottleneck that was happening. You will be getting a letter detailing this too.
    8. There will be areas that will be fenced off starting Friday, so that we can get the maximum amount of people in, and get ready for the Car Show that happens on Saturday.

Wow, that’s a lot of change. Admission is $5 per person. There is no 2 day pass. This money will go toward paying the Fairgrounds rent, which believe me, isn’t cheap. We will have lots of signs, and if you have questions, please ask. Also, if you wanted to rent a table, I urge you to rent or reserve in advance. There is a limit to the amount that we have, and although we aren’t at that limit, the last 2 weeks get hectic.

On behalf of the Michiana Chapter, thanks again for attending our Swap Meet, and Car Show. Please remember, we are all volunteers, and things will misfire. They will be handled. Enjoy old friendships, make new friends, and have a world famous Sausage Sandwich. Also, please bring sunshine, we can use it. See you in May in South Bend.

Amen to the sunshine comment. The Singer Building was rather cold and miserable when I helped Joe sell at the IM. The weather for last year's event was great.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

'Sounds good, Bob. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks for the update.
        Couple questions

1). Do vendors pay the admission fee??
        2) Are chrilden charged also???
        3) is there admission fee for vendors setting up???
        4). If you pay entry fee and leave the grounds do you have to pay a fee to re-enter??

Thanks for hosting
        Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
        1961 Hawk 4-speed
        1967 Avanti
        1961 Lark 2 door
        1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

That's great to hear! More indoor space is always welcome. I'd say you can't believe how much I look forward to this event every year, but I'm pretty sure you can. Fingers crossed for good weather, but I still come no matter what.

Comment

Hope to be there with my CE. I may even drive it up from Lafayette. If I do it will be the first trip of that length.
            Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by unclemiltie View Post
              Thanks for the update.
              Couple questions

1). Do vendors pay the admission fee??
              2) Are chrilden charged also???
              3) is there admission fee for vendors setting up???
              4). If you pay entry fee and leave the grounds do you have to pay a fee to re-enter??

Thanks for hosting
              1. No. Vendors get a pass for their vehicle to get in and vend.
              2. Children are free.
              3. No. Setup is Thursday for vendors like usual.
              4. There are daily wristbands so you can come and go that day.

Comment

Thanks for the update and a big thanks for all those who are involved in putting on the swap meet.

There's a lot of work and coordination to put these on and after the demise of York it helps us better appreciate the people who make this happen.
                Dan Peterson
                Montpelier, VT
                1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
                1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Are the gate numbers same as kast year? If not, how about a map? -Jim

Comment

Are the gate numbers same as last year? If not, how about a map?- Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jrlemke View Post
                      Are the gate numbers same as last year? If not, how about a map?- Jim
                      The gate numbers are the same.

Comment

We’re gearing up and getting ready for the trip north. Looking forward to it; thanks Bob.

Comment

Thanks to the Michinia chapter for finding ways to keep this epic event alive. Thanks to Stephen Allen and Studebaker International for expanding your presence at this meet.
                          Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                          1961 Hawk 4-speed
                          1967 Avanti
                          1961 Lark 2 door
                          1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

OH MY!...It's that time of year again and I want to attend. I am realizing how much I neglected to keep up with for the past years while attending to my elderly mother's needs. Some of my surviving siblings didn't step up, and others (younger) were engrossed in their careers and kids. It's now been a little over a month since her funeral and I am trying to catch up repairing my outbuilding before they collapse around me. If I can get enough of this barn recladding project securely in the dry enough to allow a temporary pause...I might be able to squeeze in the road-trip.

I keep getting crazy interruptions, like the paint store handing me two gallons of custom matched paint...only to find they mixed it to an entirely wrong color! How th' heck does that happen when I gave them a sample to match? Then, there's today when my personal manager (AKA wife) scheduled a dental appointment. Rain is forecast for tomorrow so this afternoon I'll be climbing this scaffold with my jaw dragging and drooling.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Barn Project 4-4-19.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	1725907
                            I would love to load up some parts in my Stude truck bed trailer and try to vend in the event. I have only tried selling a few parts at local meets on rare occasions and I'm thinking this one would be a fun experience. I'm finding that at age 74 I am not as nimble at scurrying up and down ladders and scaffolds as easily as I could at 34.
                            Also, I have done some reading and discovered that just because you can operate a saw and a hammer is not the only requirement to properly construct a barn for durability and longevity. I didn't build this building, but if I had known more back then...I would have known better than to let the guys that did build it to not take shortcuts along with my money.
                            So, if I don't make it...Y'all have a great time!
                            John Clary
                            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                              I would love to load up some parts in my Stude truck bed trailer and try to vend in the event. So, if I don't make it...Y'all have a great time!
                              Just pull the pin and go! You won't be sorry you went, I'm sure.

Those outbuildings will still be there waiting for you when you're done vending. And you might even come home with some new stuff to put inside them!!

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X