Assembly Book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assembly Book

Looking for some feed back on a thought. Seems everyone now days has a book. Thinking seeing as how my Gt Hawk is just a stripped frame and a painted body shell. If I where to take very good pictures as it is reassembled from several angles. Then do a detailed description of how everything goes back together and what to look out for on down falls. And take it right up to turning the key on start up. Would there be any demand for such a book?

There'd be a demand for a Youtube, not sure of book.

Comment

My humble opinion...It depends on your motivation. If you are planning on making it as a way to make money, be prepared for some disappointment. But, if you do it for your self-satisfaction, enjoy the experience, and something to leave as your legacy for your family, then time well spent. For those of us, you would share it...a very valuable resource for anyone attempting a similar project. For a "backyard restorer," like me (and many others), it could serve as an extremely valuable source of information. From the posts of many here, a particular guide detailing how to plan a restoration from start to finish would be very informative. Especially needed is a "sequence" guide. That is...where to start, what to remove first, and some "how-to" guides including options for various tasks. For example, I have removed bodies from frames and never had an overhead lift to do it. Others have used hoists, or gantry type lifts.

Then there are the "in process" tips, like how to brace a body with tack welded angle iron to keep a car body from twisting out of alignment so that you have a good chance to have a good fit upon reassembly. Some reality wake-up suggestions letting the inexperienced restorer know how much space a disassembled vehicle requires with its parts scattered about.
      After all...our family can only tolerate so much displacement of their stuff while we store seats, trim, and various parts in their closets and under their beds. And, while your car is a GT Hawk, there are certain tasks that are common to all restorations. So the information should emphasize those common characteristics in a way to benefit a wider audience. Also, it would be great to solicit the contributions of other experienced restorers within our group for their valuable knowledge.

I spent years selling supplies and tools to major industry and small Mom & Pop businesses too. For almost every enterprise I encountered, I learned something. The knowledge I gained served me well in being able to make some pretty valuable contributions to the efforts of my customers in improving their processes. While much of our mechanical skills are based in science...a huge amount is also an intangible known as ART! It is the artistry that is difficult to define, teach, or develop. I've been in dozens of automotive body repair shops and have determined that the best body workers are not mere mechanics...but artists.

A good guide would be something that lays out the sequence of tasks...armed with the proper sequence organization, a would-be restorer has a better chance to complete the project and reveal the artist within.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
        Looking for some feed back on a thought. Seems everyone now days has a book. Thinking seeing as how my Gt Hawk is just a stripped frame and a painted body shell. If I where to take very good pictures as it is reassembled from several angles. Then do a detailed description of how everything goes back together and what to look out for on down falls. And take it right up to turning the key on start up. Would there be any demand for such a book?
        I have plans to do this as I restore my Superlark. I think a build book would be helpful for a lot of people. My thought was to write it and let the SNM publish it and receive any monetary gains there might be. Maybe we can coordinate this effort. Email or call me and we can talk about it. IF you are going to be in Ohio for the meet, I will be there. I have been contemplating this for a few years.

Jim Pepper
        james r pepper

Comment

Steve, good idea but do you really think you have the time for something else? I think a book is better that a u-tube unless every one has a computer in the garage or shop, u-tube might be nice to just sit and watch but a book would be on the work bench as you move ahead with a project. do what you think is best and my guess a book done by you would be equal to the work you do on the Studebaker's in your shop[.
          Candbstudebakers
          Castro Valley,
          California

Comment

Bob The nice thing about a book is you can take plenty of pictures as you go and when your done with each faze of reconstruction you know what to do and what not to do plus any odd ball curves the car will throw at you so you can edit and proof read your text so it helps anyone trying to do the work. A U-Tube you have one shot at it and if anything is the wrong way to go you would have to go back and re- film everything. As you said with book after you have looked at what it is you plan to do you can just lay it out and use it as a quick check that your not doing something you shouldn't.

Comment

Who cares if there is a demand... it's a tiny niche no matter how you do it. But, that's not the important thing. Just do it for yourself. Then, if anyone else wants it you can run them off, as needed.

For example, I've worked for years to detail the bizarre international history of my '66 Excalibur and no one will ever care about or want it besides me, hehehe. Who cares. GO FOR IT! (you'll be doing the assembly anyway, after all)

All the best!!!

Comment

What would be ideal is a wiki (like https://www.wikipedia.org/), but for Studebakers. This could encompass all the assembly, photos, etc. And could be broken down by sections too- not just by model and year, but also specifically about a particular engine, trans, or other segments. What is going to happen is that people will chime in with other details about tips and tricks, which can be added very easily to a wiki.

For those not familiar with how a wiki works, they are curated by all of "us", and we can all contribute. There are moderators who can override information if its not relevant or in the wrong section, etc. As you contribute more valuable information, your "standing" with the wiki grows and so does your ability to edit. This could turn into a great way to ensure that all the tricks that the old timers know are not lost to history. It would require someone to host and maintain it, and pay for it: but it could be a great way to retain all that information. This could possibly be something that SDC maintains. It would also be a great way to get younger people interested as it would be searchable and would be in a format that they understand quite well.

If you create a Youtube video, it cant be edited with new information. Its pretty much a locked moment in time.

Just my thoughts....

Comment

I also did a bit of digging, and was able to find this which might be useful as a platform if you are all interested in doing this. (it would also mean that we dont have to pay for anything or have a tech person set anything up)
                  https://automobile.fandom.com/wiki/Studebaker

There may be other wikis out there that are better than this too: this is 5 minutes of research.

A lot of the model pages need work, they are pretty much blank
                  https://automobile.fandom.com/wiki/Studebaker_Sky_Hawk

but its a decent outline to start from.
                  Last edited by creegster; 04-02-2019, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Excellent idea Steve, I would use is if it were available right now. I'm pretty good with the mechanical processes but like John said, having the right sequences for all the various portions of a restoration would be a boon to many of us. My GT is a basket case that I've been "playing" with for a few years and now that I'm retiring the end of this month I intend to put a lot more time into my efforts. I can figure the stuff out but having a reference with lots of pic's would be great to have. I'll buy the first copy when you've got it ready. Bill

Comment

I'd be in. I've got a GT turn apart. Im ready to start putting it back together but it's been apart about 15 years now.
                      sigpic
                      '89 Ford Festiva
                      '90 Ford F250 4x4
                      '14 Kia Rio
                      '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
                      '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

Steve, I would certainly be interested in your book, as well as the one Jim Pepper is proposing. The closest I am aware of was the book "Some Thoughts on Restoring a Studebaker" by Chuck Lampoon, which he put together about 15 years ago - I referred to it quite often when I restored my 1963 Lark R2 a few years ago, and still use it quite a lot.

I might add the more pictures the better.
                        Eric DeRosa

\'49 2R-5 (original Survivor)
                        \'63 R2 Lark (the money-pit-mobile)
                        \'60 Lark Convertible (project in waiting)

Comment

Would the rebuild effort include attention to authenticity?

Peter Bishop
                          Director,
                          Northeast Zone

Comment

Peter I think there are books and articles on authenticity out there now but would be something to look at. I am thinking more along the lines of here's how you tear one apart and a look at different ways to mark, and store parts and some of the areas to look at for rust and weak points that should be checked. Then here's how you tear this piece down and go though it and what parts to check for wear. How to reassemble and reinstall onto the frame or body. Ways to lift body shell off frame and reinstall. How to put in headliner and install the glass. how to install and adjust door and side glass, Different ways to sound deaden the floor and install carpet and interior. Things like that.

Comment

IMHO The forum has already got one build going for us (The Whistler) with the beginning in the yard of Chuck Naugle to the last entry. It also has some historical information that started the thread from Bob Palma. Do something like that on the forum then pull it all together and publish it when you are finished. Just my opinion.

Bob Miles
                              Pacific Southwest Zone Coordinator

Comment

Working...
                              X