Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    Also, since I don't see whether or not your '54's a Champion or a Commander, the Champion debuted the 1st gear start arrangement in the DG transmission in '54. The next year, all three lines had first gear start. Champion, Commander & President.[^]

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    Also, since I don't see whether or not your '54's a Champion or a Commander, the Champion debuted the 1st gear start arrangement in the DG transmission in '54. The next year, all three lines had first gear start. Champion, Commander & President.[^]

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

Leave a comment:

• studehunter
    replied
    Thanks very much I have a clear understanding of exactly what I have now.

Domenic Manera
    1954 Regal Starlight Coupe

Leave a comment:

• studehunter
    replied
    Thanks very much I have a clear understanding of exactly what I have now.

Domenic Manera

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Your car's automatic does not have an overdrive gear, but it does have a lock up torque converter. This is what makes some people think that it is going into another gear, but it isn't - it is still 1:1, but without the slippage. This is a good transmission that is also economical in use due to the lock up torque converter.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Your car's automatic does not have an overdrive gear, but it does have a lock up torque converter. This is what makes some people think that it is going into another gear, but it isn't - it is still 1:1, but without the slippage. This is a good transmission that is also economical in use due to the lock up torque converter.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Leave a comment:

• Skip Lackie
    replied
    Automatic transmissions with overdrive did not appear until the 1980s, after the oil crises of the 1970s suddenly made gas mileage more important to many motorists. Before that, automatics generally had two, three, or four forward gears, with the highest gear being a 1:1 ratio.

Skip Lackie
    Washington DC

Leave a comment:

• Skip Lackie
    replied
    Automatic transmissions with overdrive did not appear until the 1980s, after the oil crises of the 1970s suddenly made gas mileage more important to many motorists. Before that, automatics generally had two, three, or four forward gears, with the highest gear being a 1:1 ratio.

Skip Lackie
    Washington DC

Leave a comment:

• lstude
    replied
    Studebaker automatics did not have overdrive, just the 3 speed manuals and it was optional on those.

Leonard Shepherd
    http://leonardshepherd.com/

Leave a comment:

• lstude
    replied
    Studebaker automatics did not have overdrive, just the 3 speed manuals and it was optional on those.

Leonard Shepherd
    http://leonardshepherd.com/

Leave a comment:

• studehunter
    started a topic Determining Overdrive???

Determining Overdrive???

I am in the process of restoring a 54 coupe and I had my transmission rebuilt, but I know nothing about it. How do I determine if my car has overdrive . It is an automatic transmission I do know that much.

Thanks

Domenic Manera
Working...
X