• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting comparison from Mecum Phoenix Sale

These two cars sold for exactly the same money, fee-inclusive: $6,875

https://www.mecum.com/lots/AZ0319-37...obile-cutlass/

https://www.mecum.com/lots/AZ0319-36...aker-champion/

That's either strong money for the Champion or weak money for the Olds!

I wonder what other factors were in play; time of day? Length of time on the block?

Opinions? BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Are you really trying to make sense of auction prices?

Comment

Originally posted by studerex View Post
      Are you really trying to make sense of auction prices?
      Are you implying they are sometimes not an accurate barometer of real-world exchanges, Rex?

Why, I never....! BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

1975 is rolling into the era of low power output and (to me) uninspired styling. If we surmise that folks buy what they lusted for when they were growing up, this era leave a fair bit of excitement and good feelings on the table.

The Stude is a more timeless piece that only needs to appeal to two bidders at the auction. IAC, $6875 isn't a king's ransom for a decent old car.

Bob

Comment

I think that both cars were a pretty good deal at under $7000. The Champion looks like a nice clean driver, and the Olds is getting to be something you don't see too often any more. Even with the early attempt at pollution control, they would get up and go. The swivel bucket seats were a nice touch also.

Comment

I had a '74 Cutlass Salon big block loaded and it was truly one of the best cars I have ever owned. I put on well over 150,000 miles with no issues and with a few mods (carb, intake, headers, Konis etc) it handled great and went like stink.
            I feel they were very underrated.
            Bill

Comment

I agree with Tom, I think that both cars were a bargain at under $7000. I would have to know more about the circumstances regarding the reason for selling, but I were the owner, I would not have let either go for the selling price.

Comment

I'd bet the build quality of the 52' Studebaker is far better than that of the 75' Olds. Those 70's and 80's domestic cars were notorious for poor fit and finish both outside and inside. The styling of the Olds isn't bad for it's era I guess but the character of the 52' is more attractive to me. Guess I'm prejudice in this comparison.

Comment

As a previous owner of 3 '52 Starlight coupes and 19 other Studebakers, given a choice of either car for that money, I'd pick the Olds in a heartbeat. The '52 is not one I'd want to drive more than 50 miles from home or just to use for trips to the grocery, but I'd have no problem driving the Olds across the country or across town for dinner.

Comment

Originally posted by HOXXOH View Post
                    As a previous owner of 3 '52 Starlight coupes and 19 other Studebakers, given a choice of either car for that money, I'd pick the Olds in a heartbeat. The '52 is not one I'd want to drive more than 50 miles from home or just to use for trips to the grocery, but I'd have no problem driving the Olds across the country or across town for dinner.
                    I guess you could say the same for just about any other car in the 70's on up.
                    Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                    X