Avant in New York under 10K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avant in New York under 10K

I already posted this on the for sale side. But for other eyes to see it...
    https://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/c...827907236.html
    sigpicsals54

Looks nice, but note: no pictures or mention of the frame or torque boxes on a NY car and a map of Manhattan (NYC) is shown and the car is in Babylon, two counties east of NYC. I am just saying to proceed with caution.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
      I already posted this on the for sale side. But for other eyes to see it...
      https://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/c...827907236.html
      Not bad for what the pictures show, but if it spent much time on Lon Giland, I'll bet the frame is bad rusty.

Comment

There is another '70 Avanti II on 'Bring a Trailer' right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
          There is another '70 Avanti II on 'Bring a Trailer' right now.
          This looks like a downright nice Avanti.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-avanti-ii-3/

Bob
          , ,

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
            This looks like a downright nice Avanti.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-avanti-ii-3/

Bob
            No doubt about the quality of this Avanti.

It is owned by forum member Bruce Blum (gunslinger).
            Bob Langer
            Glenshaw,PA

Comment

Yep...that's mine on Bring a Trailer. When my wife retires we're going to downsize so I figure it's time for someone else to enjoy it. Besides...with arthritis taking its toll it's getting more and more difficult to get in and especially out of the car. One thing I won't do is refuse to let it go and allow it to melt into the ground.
              Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by jnormanh View Post
                Not bad for what the pictures show, but if it spent much time on Lon Giland, I'll bet the frame is bad rusty.
                Here's a video of the car, with shots of the underside, including the hog troughs. It looks pretty dang solid to me. The only rust I saw underneath was the cross tube under the spare tire. But that's very thin wall tubing which rusts out regularly anyway. Easy fix on that one.
                I still think under 10K for a running/driving Avanti is a good buy no matter how you slice it.
                It's certainly not a show car, but looks really good for the money to me.
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNBUw6OAhLA
                sigpicsals54

Comment

Personally, I think $10K for the one in Long Island is all the money and then some as it's going to require a fair bit of coin to removed the bailing wire, replace/rebuild the suspension, add the rear cross member. I do appreciate that much of the interior has been replaced.

I'm heartened to see Bruce's Avanti is reaching $14K with 5 or so days to go. Looks like a very nice example of an upgraded 70 and I'd rather pay the value Bruce's will bring than try to bring the LI one to that level.

Bruce, on a personal level, don't leave this or the Avanti forum when you sell the 70. You bring a lot to both forums. Bob
                  , ,

Comment

I don't plan on leaving either forum or club. I enjoy them too much. The only I'm not looking forward to is the financial hit for what I have in the Avanti compared to its market value...but I know it was never about making money...it was about the love for the Avanti.

BTW...I'll be selling my '02 Avanti as well. Just doing it one at a time.
                    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

[QUOTE=sweetolbob;1149677]Personally, I think $10K for the one in Long Island is all the money and then some as it's going to require a fair bit of coin to removed the bailing wire, replace/rebuild the suspension, add the rear cross member. I do appreciate that much of the interior has been replaced.

I'm heartened to see Bruce's Avanti is reaching $14K with 5 or so days to go. Looks like a very nice example of an upgraded 70 and I'd rather pay the value Bruce's will bring than try to bring the LI one to that level.
                      UOTE]

Bruce's Avanti is worth may more than the NY car. The NY car with $4k of work done to it wouldn't come close.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                        I don't plan on leaving either forum or club. I enjoy them too much. The only I'm not looking forward to is the financial hit for what I have in the Avanti compared to its market value...but I know it was never about making money...it was about the love for the Avanti.

BTW...I'll be selling my '02 Avanti as well. Just doing it one at a time.
                        I am more interested in your '02. I assume that notification will come either here or on the AOAI Forum. As you know, I am on both forums nearly every day. I would prefer a '06-'07, but your car is close enough.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                          Here's a video of the car, with shots of the underside, including the hog troughs. It looks pretty dang solid to me. The only rust I saw underneath was the cross tube under the spare tire. But that's very thin wall tubing which rusts out regularly anyway. Easy fix on that one.
                          I still think under 10K for a running/driving Avanti is a good buy no matter how you slice it.
                          It's certainly not a show car, but looks really good for the money to me.
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNBUw6OAhLA
                          Thanks. That link helps in a positive and negative way. It looks better underneath than I expected, except for the rear crossmember and the bailing wire. A 1970 would have to have side marker lights to get it legally inspected, at least here in NY. How about the "Elvis Pressley Radio" (an Elvis tape in the tape deck)?

EDIT: It appears to have openings in the grille for the later "cow catcher" bumper.

EDIT II: With no side marker lights in the front and an incorrect grille, this Avanti may have had its front reconstructed.
                          Last edited by studegary; 03-17-2019, 10:23 AM.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

[QUOTE=jnormanh;1149682]
                            Bruce's Avanti is worth may more than the NY car. The NY car with $4k of work done to it wouldn't come close.
                            Absolutely!!! As I'm hoping that $14K this early in the auction would result in a much higher final bid. Bob
                            Last edited by sweetolbob; 03-17-2019, 10:22 AM.
                            , ,

Comment

I'm hoping it will end in a much higher bid as well!

Comment

Working...
                              X