No announcement yet.

Engine swaps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember a truck that I nearly bought several years ago. A 64 Champ with a 425 Olds and automatic in it. It looked as though it was born there. And plenty of room left over. It ran like a scalded dog. I can't remember why I didn't get it.
    And speaking of the 425 Olds... a guy had one in his 67 Ford Bronco. He said it had so much power that it scared him to drive it. The only problem was the ticking sound the engine made. When he had the engine torn down, one of the pistons had separated at the ring groove leaving the top of the piston lodged in the upper part of the bore. The ticking was the lower part of the piston tapping on the bottom of it. After the rebuild he sold it cuz the new found power made the Bronco unmanageable to drive. That was the story, anyway. Your results may vary.
    sals54

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
      lets see more pics of your car! Cool!
      http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...hlight=purists
      Allan Tyler Melbourne Australia

Comment

I am wondering it the exhaust manifolds of the 425 would play nice with steering box in a Lark type chassis. Would not want headers.
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

If you guy's think a 425 olds has power try a 455 or a warmed up 500 caddy.

Comment

That's fer sher.. those big inch Olds and Caddys were very strong engines. Not to forget the 421 SD Poncho and the 455 GS Buick, (the Hemi killer)
            sals54

Comment

Sals54 Would love to have a 500 Cad front wheel drive set up under a Stude truck body with a ramp or roll back on it. All the power you need and with no drive shaft or rear axle low to the ground. Only weak point would be front drive axles. Knew a guy who put a set up like that in a chevy van body with a food truck body behind it. Would smoke the front wheels anytime he wanted.

Comment

Until the advent of stock-type racing (both drag and NASCAR) I don't think many people cared which engine was swapped into what. '50s car mags were loaded with how-tos on swapping engines for better performance or towing ability. Want to put a Cad or Hemi into an early '50s F-100? Go for it! Put a nailhead Buick into a '53 Stude? Go for it! Nothing was off limits. Now if you put a Corvair six into your '55 Ford pickup you might be viewed as an odd duck, but otherwise the sky was the limit. When stock racing classes came along however, brand loyalty hit an all time high and swapping became taboo. Guys became die-hards because they were limited to what was available in each brand and model. I'm with the OP though, as long as you aren't cutting up something pristine or rare and the swap is nicely done I still say go for it.

Comment

Some have more imagination than others.

jack vines
                  PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                  X