Targa Top 63 R2 Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Targa Top 63 R2 Avanti

Spotted this interesting 63 Avanti at the RM web site (listed below). Looks very well done and the best part is the R2 engine with AIR, and Power Steering. Very neatly done. Ton O Pictures!
    https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/f...charged/751897

While I'm not a fan of the looks with the tops removed I can certainly admire the skill that went into this build. Hopefully it will bring near the top of the suggested price as it is really a looker with the tops on and an A/C R2 at that.

Bob

Comment

Yikes!
      An Avanti Town Car?

Comment

Originally posted by skyway View Post
        Yikes!
        An Avanti Town Car?
        Yes, it looks like something Lowey would do; none of us gets it right every time and a design may age better than others. Some of RL's worst are really bad.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

Raymond Loewy did sketch one: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...vanti-sketches

Craig

Comment

Looks a hell of a lot better than any of the 'Avanti' 4 door Touring Sedans. But I think I'd like it a lot better without the 'vinyl' roof and added shiny trim gewgaws. Never been a fan of vinyl roofs on anything.

Comment

Given the rake angle, if you drove around pretty fast ( or not) with the top off, it would act like an air scoop.
              64 GT Hawk (K7)
              1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Yes you sure wouldn't want to be in the back seat at freeway speeds.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                  Raymond Loewy did sketch one: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...vanti-sketches

Craig
                  I'm of the same opinion as Bob in post #2. I appreciate the effort that went into creating it, but I don't care for the lines when the roof is removed. I like Lowey's sketch better, but I think that's because in his sketch, the windshield is swept back more, and the roof line behind the removable panel appears lower. The sketch has a more streamlined look.
                  Mark L

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                    Some of RL's worst are really bad.

jack vines
                    You got that right. Some of his stuff was downright dreadful.
                    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                      You got that right. Some of his stuff was downright dreadful.
                      You got that right: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...-cars)-survive

Craig

Comment

I think it would look better as a T-Top. Either way it needs a Roll bar of some kind.

Comment

Originally posted by 64V-K7 View Post
                          Given the rake angle, if you drove around pretty fast ( or not) with the top off, it would act like an air scoop.
                          Those back windows were already known for popping out at speed so I can't imagine what would happen with that "air scoop" of a half roof.
                          Joe Roberts
                          '61 R1 Champ
                          '65 Cruiser
                          Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

OOps. I'd hate to behind it......

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs K Corbin View Post
                              I think it would look better as a T-Top. Either way it needs a Roll bar of some kind.
                              I think you'll find the factory roll bar is in place for what it would be worth. It is anchored to the frame and I'll bet the fiberglass section between it and the windshield would provide little protection whether it's one piece or a removable panel.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X