Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cus63
    replied
    Stude in very good company coming down Mt Panorama, in a famous Australian race "Bathurst 1000",
    First car, Holden Monaro, Second, Ford XY, which was Australia's fastest production car, genuine Ford XY Gt Phase 3's are bringing $500,000 +
    thyese days.Click image for larger version

Name:	stue_bathurst.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	1725650

Leave a comment:

• Noxnabaker
    replied
    #14 sure looks Swedish, the text on the phonebox & leftside trafic as before -68.

Leave a comment:

• tstoj38
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	'.jpg
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	1725644...................

Leave a comment:

• skyway
    replied
    "Lincolns switched to overhead valve V8s in 1952."

OOPS, I think I even knew that!

Leave a comment:

• WinM1895
    replied
    Originally posted by studegary View Post
    As Dick has stated, those Lincolns were OHV V8s. My sister had a 1953 Lincoln Capri convertible, black with red leather, and I believe a 317 cid OHV V8. It was a nice car. She turned it in on a red & white, 283 cid OHV V8, 1957 Chevrolet station wagon for use by a growing family.
    1952/55 Lincoln's have a 317 cid Y block. There was a 279 Lincoln derived Y block used in 1952 F7/F8 and 1953/55 F700/800 trucks that were also available with the 317.

These Lincoln Y blocks share next to no parts with the Ford/Merc Y blocks.

Bill Stroppe prepared the Lincoln's used in the Pan American road races.

Leave a comment:

• JRoberts
    replied
    It seems like I remember that these Lincolns were campaigned by some of the early stock car racers.

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Originally posted by skyway View Post
    Looks like a real racer to me?
    Vintage-wise, it would have been competing against some pretty successful Lincolns running flatheads & OD T-85's?
    As Dick has stated, those Lincolns were OHV V8s. My sister had a 1953 Lincoln Capri convertible, black with red leather, and I believe a 317 cid OHV V8. It was a nice car. She turned it in on a red & white, 283 cid OHV V8, 1957 Chevrolet station wagon for use by a growing family.

Leave a comment:

• Dick Steinkamp
    replied
    Originally posted by skyway View Post
    Vintage-wise, it would have been competing against some pretty successful Lincolns running flatheads & OD T-85's?
    Lincolns switched to overhead valve V8s in 1952. They WERE very successful in the Panamericana.

Leave a comment:

• Dick Steinkamp
    replied
    This car (205) was entered in the 1954 La Carrera Panamericana. This was the last race due to so many accidents and deaths until it was revived in 1988 with much better safety requirements.

It was entered by Union de Choferes (the bus driver's union) and driven by Roberto Belmar and Felix San Roman. They drove the race in 24:32:28 and finished 52nd out of 150 starters. There were 64 DNFs. The winning time was 17:40:26...A Ferrari.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1954_Carrera_Panamericana

Leave a comment:

• Dwain G.
    replied
    I looked before posting, but didn't see the roll bar then. Now I'll go look through some old car mags and see if I can find that Stude.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Yes those '52, '53, and '54 Lincolns had some POWER, and raced in Road Races!

Click image for larger version

Name:	1954-Lincoln-Capri.jpg
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	1725637
    Last edited by StudeRich; 03-06-2019, 05:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• skyway
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Noxnabaker
    replied
    I think we've had that picture in the ordinary roadside column, some pix there are from other places & I agree with StudeRich that this -54 Commander Starlight IS a race car & most probably from Pan Americana, see the text above the windscreen.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    That sure looks like a very New 1954 back in the "Day", it is a Coupe with a Roll Bar so I am pretty sure it IS a Race Car, complete with original Stock Tires and Wheels!

Leave a comment:

• Dwain G.
    replied
    Appears to have something to do with the old Mexican Road Race (PanAmericana), but I don't think it's an actual race car.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X