Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What month did the new production year start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What month did the new production year start?

I was looking at the production order for my 60 Lark convertible. It stated the car was built in October 1959. What month did they start building cars for the next production year?

My 64 GT was born on 10/10/63.
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

Comment

All the U.S. Automakers "normally" released their New next years models in Sept. in the year prior to the "Year Model".

No one remembers passing the New Car Dealers showrooms on the way home from School whether or not they were on the way, to peek through the holes in the paper covering the windows to get a look at the Latest and Greatest?

That would be very close to opening of the School Year.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by LovelandJoe View Post
        I was looking at the production order for my 60 Lark convertible. It stated the car was built in October 1959. What month did they start building cars for the next production year?
        Model year production start can vary all over the place. The only requirement is that it can not be prior to January of the preceding calendar year. August was quite common for start of production with retail release in September. I currently own a car that I bought new and took delivery of on June 13 of the prior year (calendar year before model year). Studebaker had some years where production start was delayed to much later than normal. Sales of 1953 model Studebakers did not start until after Jan. 1, 1953. 1954 model Studebaker sales started Nov. 23, 1953.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Ignoring a very few abnormalities too minor and few to mention, at Studebaker "NORMAL" was still Normal.

It is my recollection that there was only ONE Model of Studebaker between 1956 and 1966 that did not make the Sept. release date for the Annual large City Car Shows and Local Dealerships across the Country, that would be the 1963 Avanti, which was Advertised and "released" in very limited Qty's. very early in 1962.
          StudeRich

Comment

Some information on a couple of the first of the 1966 models and their build dates:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...hlight=c530006

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...naire-CNE-Unit

Craig

Comment

The first time I remember seeing new cars in the showroom was 59. Loved the Buick and Chevy fins!

I don't remember a stude dealer in Greencastle in 1959.
              Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Most US automakers shut down their factories for model changeover for a couple of weeks in August each year. The exact dates depended on things like how the existing models were selling, availability of raw materials, etc. I have copies of the original factory production records and can look up when the production of the 1960 models started (probably September 1959) if you want. Won't be able to do it until later this week, however.
                Skip Lackie

Comment

Don't know about now, but in the 60's GM would change over in July and try to have cars rolling off the assembly line first week of August for the next year's production. They had to meet whatever federal standards applied to that next yeat.

Comment

It varied by year and model. Dick Quinn has the production list going back to at least 1927.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                      All the U.S. Automakers "normally" released their New next years models in Sept. in the year prior to the "Year Model".

No one remembers passing the New Car Dealers showrooms on the way home from School whether or not they were on the way, to peek through the holes in the paper covering the windows to get a look at the Latest and Greatest?

That would be very close to opening of the School Year.
                      I remember very well the first year dealerships in my home town unveiled the new models. In 1949 all the kids waited anxiously to see what was under the cover in the Ford dealership. The new Fords were worth waiting to see with their revolutionary new styling. They did gather crowds. Great days.

Comment

My 1950 Land Cruiser was built in September 1949.

Comment

1964 Model Year Start of Production

I don't know exactly when 1964 model year production started but my 1964 Challenger Wagonaire Serial Number 64S 3122 has a final assembly date of 8/29/63 so production was well under way in late August.

This was despite my understanding that there were quite a few unsold 1963 Lark types sitting around the plant in South Bend at the time.

On the other hand. my 1964 Daytona Serial Number 64V 18461 has a final assembly date of 12/11/63 -- which I believe is the day after the official announcement that Studebaker automobile production at the South Bend plant was being discontinued.
                          Bill Jackameit
                          1964 Challenger Wagonaire
                          1964 Daytona Sedan
                          Total of 10 Studebakers owned since 1961
                          Bill Jackameit's Studebaker Page online since October 1995
                          https://billstudepage.homestead.com/files/studpg.htm

sigpic

Comment

Now that we are talking about Line Start Dates rather than the OP's request for release for Sale dates.

It's interesting to notice how many were built in a short time or given time, as my '64 Strato Blue Daytona Sedan 64V1037 was the 37th V8 Studebaker built, probably on Day One: 08/12/1963.

My guess is at startup time, a Lot of "Showroom Cars" would be needed for Dealer Showrooms and Car Shows, so not SO many Standard bread and butter 2 & 4 Door Challenger and Commander Sedans, but more Convertibles, Hardtops, Hawks, Cruisers, Daytona Wagonaires and Loaded Cars like my Daytona, to up-sell the buyers if their frugal arms were twist-able.
                            Last edited by StudeRich; 03-03-2019, 05:24 PM.
                            StudeRich

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                              Now that we are talking about Line Start Dates rather than the OP's request for release for Sale dates.

Please go back and look at post #1, Rich. He requested the opposite of what you state. I will try to copy his wording here. "
                              What month did they start building cars for the next production year? "
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X