Pitman arm puller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pitman arm puller

Good morning all. Does anyone know where i can buy or rent a pitman arm puller that will work on a '61 lark. I have tried the ones pep boys sells and the one from auto zone. Thanks for your help.

Most all commercial pitman arm pullers will not work on a V8 Studebaker Lark in the car. They are too long. I had to build one to work on my Lark. It is a short "U" type puller with a fine thread set screw. A commercial puller will work with the engine out or if you unbolt and turn the steering box to gain clearance. I can post a picture of the one I built if you would like.

Jim
    james r pepper

Comment

I've always used the type sold at Harbor Freight. But now I can't remember fer sher if they can be used while the engine is still in the car. I know they break sometimes, but they are so cheap, I never really cared about that. Anyone know if this style works with engine in car?
      sals54

Comment

Originally posted by jpepper View Post
        Most all commercial pitman arm pullers will not work on a V8 Studebaker Lark in the car. They are too long. I had to build one to work on my Lark. It is a short "U" type puller with a fine thread set screw. A commercial puller will work with the engine out or if you unbolt and turn the steering box to gain clearance. I can post a picture of the one I built if you would like.

Jim
        Please do, I'm interested too.

Comment

My one and only experience with removing a pitman arm was a long time ago and I probably broke every rule, but... I needed a complete power steering setup to install on my '64 Daytona Wagonaire. Yes, I had foolishly not ordered it with power steering. Anyhow, I found a wrecked '64 Daytona hardtop in a local salvage yard. I took my tools along and got the nut off the arm, but I couldn't figure any way to get that arm off. I went to the salvage yard man and told him my problem. He grabbed a large crowbar and a heavy hammer and told me how get it off. He put the crowbar against the pitman arm just under the shaft, put pressure on the arm, tapped the top of it with the big hammer and the arm came right off. I took the complete power steering kit home, used the same technique and got the standard steering pitman arm off the same way-piece of cake. Installed the power steering system and it's still on there this many years later.
          Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Yes Please do. Thankk you

Comment

Originally posted by bensherb View Post
              Please do, I'm interested too.
              Here are the pictures. My homemade one is a little shorter and less flexible. I either made it out of 4140HR or 1045HR steel and heat treated it. It uses a 1/2-20 setscrew. The commercial one uses a hex head screw. The commercial one is close to working but not quite. It might work with a short screw. I never tried it. I just made a dedicated puller.

Jim
              Attached Files
              james r pepper

Comment

James , I am about to install power steering in my 58 golden hawk and wonder if you would let me borrow your tool

I will pay for postage both ways to Raleigh < NC if you can help me

Thanks , Joe Parsons cell 330 502 5930

Joe Parsons

Comment

There are "low-profile" clamp-action pullers available, but they are much more expensive than the typical ones normally seen. An example is #68800 puller made by SP Tools. There are several new ones available on eBay for $141.00. These might also be available for loan or rent at a local auto parts store.
                  Mark L

Comment

I bought a puller locally, I think at AutoZone, and per suggestions on this forum, I modified it as shown:
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5051.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	1725658
                    I bought a hardened bolt with the same threads, (actually I bought a couple different lengths) and installed it backwards. You have to use a box end wrench and put that over the bolt before using, and lube the bolt head with some grease too. It worked great, and the arm came right off!

Comment

Bruce, did you have any issues with the bolt you were turning with the wrench trying to walk or slide off the end of the gearbox shaft? Also, did you need to remove any other items, like the starter, to get the puller in place?
                      Mark L

Comment

Mark, I removed starter for room, and if I remember it didn’t move much once I got it tight. The arm broke loose sooner than I expected.

Comment

Originally posted by 58 Hawk View Post
                          James , I am about to install power steering in my 58 golden hawk and wonder if you would let me borrow your tool

I will pay for postage both ways to Raleigh < NC if you can help me

Thanks , Joe Parsons cell 330 502 5930
                          Joe, I'd rather not lend out the one I made. The suggestion from brucestude is a good one. Get a puller from your local Harbor Freight or Northern Tool. Use a hardened hex head bolt installed backwards. Your local hardware store should have one. I also buy fasteners from Fastenal and McMaster Carr. It should work. It will probably be metric size. A grade 8 equivalent in metric will have a 10.9 or 12.9 on the head.
                          james r pepper

Comment

Working...
                          X